It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut Up And Watch It. . . . The Whale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We saw this last week, just got finished crying today. I don't usually watch Oscar-related films because they're usually bull poop.

But Brendan Fraiser nailed this one. Just wow. A moving drama.

No ninjas, car chases, or the babes with the breasts in this film. Which makes it totally out of my realm of understanding.

But the bride wanted to watch it instead of "Angry Ninja Fists of Death" for the 15th time, so we did.

No spoilers, just enjoy the film, bring tissues because you'll cry more than when Iron Man died in "Endgame".

Seriously.

Major weepage.

So shut up *sobs again* and watch it.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Is it offensive to fat people for a fit actor to dress up in fat face?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Jokes aside I watched the trailer, looks like a pretty good movie that actually attempts to hit some deep yet realistic emotional problems. I’ll put it on the list to watch thanks DBC.
a reply to: DBCowboy

edit on 19-4-2023 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

It's why I cried so much, he was STILL skinnier than me!

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is a film adaptation of a stage drama. I read it when it first was published. It really is a moving work. I have been debating the movie.

And since it is from you, DB, I will go see it.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
This is a film adaptation of a stage drama. I read it when it first was published. It really is a moving work. I have been debating the movie.

And since it is from you, DB, I will go see it.

Definitely worth seeing.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I have problem watching this kind of film...

I get really emotional, and I tend to die on the inside when there is emotional pain and suffering that doesn't have to happen, but does because 'we're only human,' after all.... which is to say I'm something of a big softie...

Just for the relevance, I enjoyed this critics take on "The Whale." (I like this guy.)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

I understand. I get it. I got too emotional during this film.

But it is worth watching.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Im gonna watch it, I almost always watch movies you recommend.

But Im gonna have to wait till Im ready for a downer of a movie.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I watched “Where the red ferns grow” when I was a kid and I’m still in recovery.

I’ll give it a watch but you’re paying my therapy bills

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I still get emotional when the Goonies find One eyed Willies treasure and Mikey says no not this, this is Willies. Not sure I can take much more. But I'll check it out.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Athetos

It's why I cried so much, he was STILL skinnier than me!

Funny

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Loved that review and the way at the end when you're told in heavy-ish Scottish brogue "go away now"

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Main caracter messed up his life because he was caught buggering a man, if I recall correctly.

No, thanks. I've no need for social engineering projects that are designed to normalize perversion. Not interested in being made to feel sorry for a deviant. That is what actually going on there.

Next movie will be about a man "falling in love with" and buggering a child,. and you'll be.expexted to be irate because "true love" is stifled.

Then there'll be a movie about the romantic sexual relationship been a woman and her dog.

I won't be watching. I don't care to be subjected to overt psycho-social programming. I have no interest in being emotionally manipulated to nefarious ends.

ETA: If you poo-poo my predictions regarding the following wave of themes (promoting pedophilia and beastiality), ask yourself if five years ago you thought that the White House would be promoting perverts and pedophiles having direct access to children.
:
edit on 2023 4 19 by incoserv because: ETA.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Sometimes art is art.
Sometimes art is not.

If you feel that it is not... then it is not.

I wouldn't know about this movie, I haven't seen it yet (I may.) But that's a determination that I must make for myself... your feelings notwithstanding.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Propaganda designed to twist public opinion into supporting unhealthy life choices and promote twisted, society destroying behavior is not art.

This no more art than Dylan Muvaney's mockery of women is a celebration of femininity. This is just another propaganda push promoting the LGBTQPZ+ narrative.

Calling this thinly veiled attempt at social engineering "art" is ultimately no different than calling drag queens who dance in front of children artists and the mentally ill liberal mothers who expose their kids to the perversion avant guard parents.

My "feelings" have nothing to do with it.
:
edit on 2023 4 19 by incoserv because: ETA.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Im them same as yourself ive been giving this movie the wide berth.

Its a powerful movie if it has so many reactions to it, in one form or the other.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am willing to entertain the notion that this movie is not 'about' homosexuality.

I might find it disappointing if it is somehow a movie whose premise is the celebration or normalization of that particular lifestyle. But not because I am angered by the lifestyles existence. Only because all the efforts towards that aim seem to have a social-engineering intent... so I share the sensitivity to the practice.

However, we are talking about what could be a complete disconnect between the theater, and the story. Homosexuals exist. They have in all of recorded human history, they have manifested as everything from persecuted to celebrated... The idea of homosexuals specifically having to endure social judgement is founded largely in dogma (but not exclusively.)

To be clear, when I speak of homosexuals, I am not referring to the 21st century 'flavoring' of sexual practices... I'm referring to people who, for reasons to which I cannot relate, are emotionally attracted to those of the same sex. In the new age most of this behavior, proselytized, marketed, amplified, and even glamorized is not the homosexuality of which I speak.

Check the propaganda. It's not about the expression of love between two people... it's about a person wanting to be seen flailing around yelling "Whatever! I do what I want!" (thank you Trey and Matt)

edit on 4/19/2023 by Maxmars because: formatting

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   

There will be follow-up movies designed to make you all weepy over the poor couple of a middie aged woman and her 15 year old "lover" and how society stigmatizes their "consensual" relationship. Hell, the UN is now telling member states that the age of consent is a relic of bygone less enlightened times. (Remember when Lolita was shocking and disturbing?)

Then you will be treated to a promotion of bestiality that will pull at your heartstrings. Poor puppy just wants to be loved... in that way.

State government are making it legal for medical "professionals" to mutilate your children's genitals without telling you. Crossdressing perverts are parading before little children and the mothers are cheering them on. Men are legally allowed to flash their dongs in women's dressing rooms. Male rapists are housed in women's prisons because they "identify" as women.

The narrative has gone to caca, and you can, with a straight face, suggest that this is just pure art?

If you seriously can't see this as the social engineering propaganda push that it is... Well, you are just another victim of the new narrative.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Oops!
edit on 2023 4 19 by incoserv because: Double post.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I can't ague that what you predict isn't going to come true. We are seeing it manifesting everywhere.

But I have to reserve agreement until I have actually witnessed the film you are saying is propaganda to normalize or somehow render acceptable the lifestyle you are so evidently posturing against. I know that most everything can be seen in the light of social engineering - even the most mundane and trivial. But I haven't seen the movie, and I can't say that I decry it, sight unseen.

I am hoping that this is a story about a troubled man and his struggle to reignite a meaningful family relationship. Beyond that it might all be theatrical play... with the alleged sexuality of the man nothing more than a backdrop...

But again, I don't know that. So I can't tell you 'you're wrong.' You seem to be fixed on the hateful side of this, as if there was no room for debate. If that's the case, then I am sorry to say we simply stand apart on this.

[Just curious... Are you on a cell phone? Sometimes I hear tell that posting on a cell phone leads to that "double posting" problem, but I've never tried it.]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join