It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Webb Space Telescope looks at Uranus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999
Check this pic of Venus, I was hoping the Uranus pic would be more like this.

news.sky.com...

That's not a photograph. Venus' thick clouds of sulfuric acid make it impossible to see the surface. That image was rendered from radar maps from a probe orbiting the planet. The technique is called Imaging Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)

The Magellan probe mapped Venus. The Cassini probe mapped parts of Saturn's moon Titan, though it's coverage and resolution wasn't as good because the probe was orbiting the planet and not the moon, and was thus only able to get radar swaths during flybys.

ISAR has been used by aircraft and orbiting satellites with surprising results here on Earth. It has found temples, aqueducts and even entire ancient cities buried in the jungles of Central America and Southeast Asia. An experimental ISAR flown on the Space Shuttle in the '80s found prehistoric riverbeds under the sands of the Sahara desert. Archaeologist went to the sites and found signs of ancient human settlements. Of course, the military uses it to find, map and identify targets in night and bad weather.

posted on Apr, 13 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Uranus' is Tilted over about 98 Degrees .This Planet Obviously was Disrupted in it's Orbit Around our Sun a Long Time Ago . What Caused it is Still an Intriguing Mystery .
edit on 13-4-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2023 @ 11:51 PM
link   
When will a probe be sent to explore Uranus?

posted on Apr, 14 2023 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

originally posted by: Albert999
Check this pic of Venus, I was hoping the Uranus pic would be more like this.

news.sky.com...

That's not a photograph. Venus' thick clouds of sulfuric acid make it impossible to see the surface. That image was rendered from radar maps from a probe orbiting the planet. The technique is called Imaging Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)

The Magellan probe mapped Venus. The Cassini probe mapped parts of Saturn's moon Titan, though it's coverage and resolution wasn't as good because the probe was orbiting the planet and not the moon, and was thus only able to get radar swaths during flybys.

ISAR has been used by aircraft and orbiting satellites with surprising results here on Earth. It has found temples, aqueducts and even entire ancient cities buried in the jungles of Central America and Southeast Asia. An experimental ISAR flown on the Space Shuttle in the '80s found prehistoric riverbeds under the sands of the Sahara desert. Archaeologist went to the sites and found signs of ancient human settlements. Of course, the military uses it to find, map and identify targets in night and bad weather.

Ahhh thanks for clarifying. I thought it was a JW image lol 👍🏼

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I see fissures and various growths, but no Klingons thank goodness. Maybe we can put an asstronaut onto Uranus.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all..

Fry: Oh. What's it called now?

Farnsworth: Urectum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join