It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has just released the most detailed 3D map of Mars ever made

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Rotatable and zoomable NASA have released the highest detailed global map of Mars yet produced along with some handy points of interest to help along the way , head over to Gusev to pay respects to Spirit or pop over to Olympus Mons to admire the view , sadly the Alien bases have been omitted judging by the missing data strips.
murray-lab.caltech.edu...

I've been chilling in the crater on top of Olympus Mons.

Created by the Bruce Murray Laboratory for Planetary Visualization at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, the interactive Global CTX Mosaic of Mars map(opens in new tab) is a mosaic created from images taken by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter — more specifically, its black-and-white Context Camera.

The team developed the map over a period of six years, stitching together some 110,000 Mars images. Most of the images were organized using a computer algorithm, but 13,000 were added to the map manually by researchers.

The map is so detailed that it covers some 270 square feet (25 square meters) of the Martian surface in each pixel. Put another way: If the map were to be printed out, the 5.7 trillion–pixel (5.7-terapixel) image would be larger than a football field.

"I've wanted something like this for a long time. It's both a beautiful product of art and also useful for science," Laura Gerber, a Mars scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, said in a statement..
www.space.com...

edit on 8-4-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Now, If they could just do that for our oceans!

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Woah, nice one, gortex. I had to log back on even though I'm trying not to for a little bit, but this was too good so I had to come back and s&f and give props.

Epic pics! Doesn't even look real, but could imagine actually standing on top of that mountain?

What a thought...
Thanks for the gem.

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Are you sure it isn’t Greenland and Arizona?

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I do not see the Cydonia D+M Pyramid . Why Not NASA ?

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfingonacrimewave

I thought it looked movie set'ish but I'm always questioning the images we see about or space exploration.

Hey, I jumped in here because of your handle, I like to try and profile the person based on the handle.
Shoot me a thumbs up if I'm right or down if wrong, and I'm gonna flow back into the thread so it doesn't drift.
Surfer-cop?

I still don't trust the moon landing. I just don't. Lol I'm stuck on it. It's usually a sign that I haven't at least satisfied my own curiosity, which I haven't tbph. I think we have global/space military on the moon and now I'm wondering if there's not already something in the makes on Mars.
But I'm a conspiracy theorist from birth.
I question everything that doesn't vibe right.
Until it does.
Or does not.

I'm torn here. Always have been. I think cover-up (slight of hand. Look here while we "slide" this in there). But that's just me.

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfingonacrimewave

Well for one thing there very clearly is no Olympus Mons in either of those places, or any place on Earth for that matter.

posted on Apr, 8 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Very cool gortex thanks for sharing! Being able to explore Valles Marineris like that is awesome.

posted on Apr, 9 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   

lol, I tried looking at one of the coordinates I was interested in the most, my alien Martian hut I found way back.
Sadly that portion of the map is missing.

3°10'0.24"N 20°52'1.94"W

posted on Apr, 11 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
Now, If they could just do that for our oceans!

I'd like to see that too, with all of the known shipwrecks, but it's not NASA's job. Talk to NOAA. www.noaa.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2023 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Excellent OP!

"If you set Olympus Mons on top of the United States, it would cover the entire state of Arizona. And if you plopped it over Europe, it would cover France. A 2011 study suggested that the volcano contains roughly one million cubic miles (4 million cubic kilometers) of material, which truly dwarfs anything on our own planet. That’s around 100 times the volume of Earth's largest volcano, Mauna Loa."

Olympus Mons

I've always been fascinated by Valles Marineris: The Grand Canyon of Mars and Olympus Mons.

Valles Maineris
edit on 11-4-2023 by Islandparty because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join