It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Cops Get $2.2M in Discrimination Suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
"MILWAUKEE — Seventeen white, male police lieutenants were awarded nearly $2.2 million by a jury that concluded they were not promoted because of discrimination.

The jury found last week that former police chief Arthur Jones (search) had promoted less-qualified women and minorities to captain, ahead of the plaintiffs. The former chief, who is black, testified he picked nominees mostly by personal evaluations of their skills, without consulting resumes or department personnel records.

The 17 plaintiffs will receive compensatory damages from $9,500 to $50,000 each, and $102,000 each in punitive damages from the city."

www.foxnews.com...

Die PC world....DIE a slow hideous death like Terri did. Its about time justice came back.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Good. I hate reverse discrimination.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Fight discrimination with discrimination; I love the idea. So if I am to understand correctly, the chief hired people based upon their skills (what they 'can' do) as opposed to their resume (what they 'have' done). Sorry, but I do not buy into it as I am confused. Did they sue on the basis of race and sex or by the fact the police chief likes to hire people based upon skills and their resume?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am glad this is being addressed.

Some time ago I applying for a job as an IT technician with the local authority and was declined due to not being of black or ethnic origin. When I questioned this, I was informed that it was legitimate and no action could be taken as being an equal opportunity employer they had a quota to meet and had to employ certain numbers of people from different backgrounds. This position was apparently 'created' to meet the quota according to a friend who worked at the local authority. Like I have been saying for a long time now, society is a hard place to survive unless you happen to be a black disabled lesbian. No offense to any individuals intended, only that this kind of act is frustrating to people who are capable of jobs and refused under these circumstances and insulting to the ones employed to meet the quota.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Die PC world....DIE a slow hideous death like Terri did. Its about time justice came back.

Evidently the plaintiffs "proved" discrimination. That's political correctness. Good for them.

I'm not sure how exactly since "Jones noted that during his seven-year tenure he promoted 41 people to captain, 21 of them white men [and] The city argued that the fire and police commission, which approves hirings, was not malicious and did not know about any discrimination."

And only "Two of the men who brought the lawsuit in 2003 have since been promoted to captain" but whatever.

If the jury of this city though thinks slightly more than half of all new Captains being white men despite no community being made up of 50% white men isn't "enough" in the "reverse" quota system being argued here and given that even after the redress only two (11.7%) of the newly rich plaintiffs apparently qualified to become Captain... uh, again...whatever.

But make no mistake this is political correctness at it's core and intent. A discrimination case. Redress of compensatory damages and punitive measures. Hey, judicial "activism" at it's finest!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Oh My there "bagboy", being PC doesn't allow white men to win anything, this is a throw back to the Robert Byrd days of knights.....................

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Oh My there "bagboy", being PC doesn't allow white men to win anything, this is a throw back to the Robert Byrd days of knights.....................

Robert KKK Byrd?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It just allowed 17 white men to win $2.2 million dollars. Had the promoting Captain been doing his job under PC then the most qualified people regardless of race would have been promoted with deference to ensure no special favortism for any "good ol' boys" club (as he may have been doing), and every measure taken to ensure woman and minorities had equal opportunity, not discriminating equal opportunity for anyone else.

Obviously (as per the jury/judge) this didn't happen.

I have no insight though if the jury that awarded this sum to 17 white guys (15 of which still didn't make the grade after redress) were all Klan members, but it is a thought. I'm sure though this ruling makes the Klan just as happy as you, but the fact remains redress was found based on racial discrimination. In a very real sense political correctness.

If white men haven't figured out yet that political corectness will save their collective white butts in the future from other "good ol' girls clubs and hispanic clubs and brothers only work cliques" then they really need to get their heads out of 1964 and take a look at 2005.

Diversity isn't about making minorities #1 no matter who they are. I lost government research contracts for not having enough white men on the payroll (couldn't get them to take the job) when representative diversity was required as part of the program. We raised salaries for all then, targeted white neighborhoods (both in proactive recuriting and a brand new convienent complex) and adjusted accordingly. We didn't have to do it, but we did to "play ball."

And everybody won. That's correct political correctness.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by christconserv
Good. I hate reverse discrimination.

What the hell is reverse discrimination? There is no such thing. Only discrimination exist. By saying reverse discrimination you are assuming that every case of discrimination has been a white person discriminating against a minority.

This is not the case.

[edit on 4/8/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
i must say it's about time that reverse disrimination got recognised. i myself have not gotten jobs because i couldn't fill any "slots". same goes for promotions. no one should be more eligable for anyrthing because they "happen" to be a female or not white.

there was a case where my father worked. there was a management possition open, out of the many that applied two made the final selection. one was a white male the other was a female of "etnic" descent. it was found that the male was slightly better qualified so they took him. the female called discrimination to the huaman rights commision. the company was forced to fire the guy and hire the woman in his place. how was this fair? just another case of discrimination. if a white guy tries to complain about the same thing they almost laugh in his face.

i am all for EQUIL rights, that means that someone should not be hired because they are of a minority group. the fact that aplications have a special spot to fill in if you are some sort of "minority" is downright discriminatory in and of itself. it is used to discriminate against anyone who does not fall into this catagory. why is this permitted? we are not moveing towards "equality" we are just reverseing the way that we are to discriminate. this is not how we should fix the problem. we should not "discriminate" against anyone this includes the "majority" just to make sure that you have an acceptable amount of minoritys. there should be NO expected ammounts of anyone.

several years ago there were adds in the paper for govenment job openings. it was stated in the adds that "white males need not apply". when one called and inquired about it they were told that this was because they were trying to fix the equality problems in their staffing. this was infact just another case of discrimination. just go into a local unimployment office it seems the only non-ethnic people you see are a white female (possibly if you are lucky) or a you might just catch a glimpse of a white guy who appears to be close to retirement. everyone else is non-white. this is not because they are better qualified it is because of blateant discrimination.

oh yes one other thing i was down to unimployment to put in an injury claim and on the application for unemployment bennifits there is a section to fill out if you are a minority. it is to see if you qualify for things like extra services such as training. why is this i thought we were suppost to be treated as equils? this is just one more slap in the face, i certainly did not have a choice about what race i was going to be. when i was younger and it was reported that steps were being taken towards equality i was all for it. i felt that it was wrong to discriminate against other genders and races. too bad i had no idea that this ment that automaticaly this meant to discriminate against the "majority". it is well past time for ALL discrimination to be stopped. there should be no special services, grants, or anything spacificly for any group. this includes hireing, collage grants, or any other extras it should be available for all, regaurdless of who and what you are.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by drogo]

top topics

join