It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Video - Moment Russian aircraft intercepts US drone over Black Sea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

The laws of maritime salvage may apply given that it was downed over international waters.

Then again Russia doesn't exactly seem to care much about international law as is evidenced by their invasion and land grab in Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: MykeNukem

The drone was in international air space not Russian air space.

As to deserving it well its a drone, so treating it in a particular manner is really neither here nor there.

Wonder what kind of damage the Flanker took via the collision?

Yea, well I'm sure if Russia flew a drone off the coast of the USA in International waters the States would take care of that too.

After the way this administration let a Chinese spy platform cross the entire continental US...I wouldn't be so sure.

You got me there, lol, true.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Russian aircraft enter the US ADIZ multiple times a year. Sometimes they’re intercepted, sometimes they aren’t.

Yea, I understand that, but they aren't acting on behalf of an enemy, as far as I'm aware.

Like for arguments sake, the States is in a conflict with Mexico and Russia is aiding Mexico with drones, the States would shoot them down, international space, or not...hopefully, anyway.

edit on 3/16/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Then put your boots on, or if you're too old send your kids.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

If they could have gotten enough fuel so that it went down the drone's intake, it could have caused the engine to flame out and crashed the drone. There would have been no proof of why the drone crashed.
I have to wonder if the Russians knew the actual capability of the drone's cameras?
The kept approaching from behind. I wonder if they were thinking that it was a blind spot?

Yes, if enough fuel had gone into the intake, it could have caused a flameout. However, the MQ-9s typically cruise at around 50,000 feet altitude, so there would have been plenty of time and altitude for restart attempts. As we can see, the entire encounter was being videoed in real time, so there would have been no doubt as to what caused it.

The electro-optical pods on MQ-9s are ITAR controlled, which means that users are not supposed to publish technical performance data. However, ITAR control is a relatively low level of security. I would have to think that Russian Military Intelligence is certainly up to the task of hacking computers on defense contractor computers to obtain operator's manuals and such like.

MQ-9s typically cruise at 50,000 ft altitude. At those altitudes, the minimum safe flight speed of a jet interceptor is much higher than the cruise speed of the drone. That means that the jet cannot just park in front of the drone and fly at the same air speed--which is what I proposed yesterday, without thinking about the problem too much. If the interceptor pilot wanted to dump fuel on the optics pod on the front of the drone, he would have to overtake from the rear at a closing speed that is the difference between the jets minimum flight speed and the drones cruising speed. That difference could easily be 100 mph or more. He would then have to time the pass such that the rear of his aircraft would cross over the nose of the drone at a miss distance of a few meters.

This is pretty much how Porsche drivers overtake slower drivers on the German Autobahns, with approximately the same success rate, in my experience.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:11 AM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

There’s a huge difference between a Reaper camera and a HUD video. Lake Huron was an F-16 not F-22, but with live weapons used, that video won’t come out either.

Are you telling me the Pentagon with billions in the budget can crop out a video like some youtube podcaster does while sitting on the crapper?

are you suggesting we have never seen live fire from an F-16

here's another one from Turkey and Greece allegedly

edit on 16-3-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Shooting them down is how things can go hot. There are other options besides going straight to shooting down. We’re damn lucky other options were used during the Cold War.
edit on 3/16/2023 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

a reply to: bastion

A light touch between two F-18s can rip a wingtip rail off. There’s definitely some damage to the Su-27.

I certainly bow down to your expertise on aircraft and aviation -- mine was limited to static/on ground firing the cannon on front seat amalgamation or stress tests in CATIA.

If it clipped the wing would the impact cause flutter effect and serious damage to the aircraft? I worked on dampening that effect for a short while and it's a really scary phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Quick release of video to provide Distraction from Biden NOT releasing the Covid-19 Intel Report.

This was a quick release to show that the Russians were lying.

You have an extremely bad case of Biden Derangement Syndrome (BDS).

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I know KAL 007 is on Google. I'm not sure about the others. When I was in Jacksonville one of my neighbors was an aircrewman on a P2V Neptune that a MIG 17 shot down. They ditched in the Black Sea and were lucky all of them survived.
edit on 16-3-2023 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Shooting them down is how things can go hot. There are other options besides going straight to shooting down. We’re damn lucky other options were used during the Cold War.

I agree.

Damn lucky.

There were much greater minds involved back then, too.

How was war by proxy looked at by the super-powers during the Cold War?

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
To me, that is an act of war.

General Milley is leaving open the possibility that the drone takedown was an accident.

Hmmm

I didn't hear him say that.

What I did hear him say..."As to an act of war...I wouldn't go there, incidents happen..." (I paraphrase)

What did you hear him say?

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

It wouldn’t be too bad short term. Rumor is a damaged aircraft landed in Crimea, which would have been an easy flight even with wingtip damage. I wouldn’t want to go far with it though.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Not all of them are, but quite a few. A couple we didn’t admit to until many years later are in there.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It was actually pretty common. It was seen as a way to push your agenda, with total deniability that you were actually fighting each other.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

With Biden, it means he'll bend over for Putin while the media turns their head.

Trump already did that, were did that get us?

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It was actually pretty common. It was seen as a way to push your agenda, with total deniability that you were actually fighting each other.

So, really nothing like now.

As it's right out in the open, lol, without plausible deniability.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

This was a quick release to show that the Russians were lying.

I agree, this was released to show how the Russian pilots had flown at the drone because Russian had lied and said that it was the reaper that was flying erratically not them.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

By whom?

It was an American drone operating over the black sea...

I wouldn't exactly call that a violation of American airspace as much as it was a violation of Russian airspace.

The sooner you all realize our government are the bad guy's the better.

They were in international airspace, commie lover.

posted on Mar, 16 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

By whom?

It was an American drone operating over the black sea...

I wouldn't exactly call that a violation of American airspace as much as it was a violation of Russian airspace.

The sooner you all realize our government are the bad guy's the better.

They were in international airspace, commie lover.

Oh FFS....give it a break.

Biden IS a commie lover, so there's that....

And to be fair I'll also say, so is Trudeau....

And it isn't Russia they love, it's the REAL, ACTUAL communists, not some ghost from the Cold War.

What he said makes him observant, not a commie, lmao.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join