It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to reignite my passion for reading

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I'm busy reading American Psycho right now and I just wanted to let you know.

It's good.

Thank you Z.

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
a reply to: Moon68

Yes Moon it was the Triffids

And Revelation Space is awesome!

I've read through them 3 times in the last 2 years...and I'm thinking about restarting the collection again

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

Awesome. I'd love to discuss it when you're done if you're interested!!

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The past couple years I have been on a classics kick both fiction and non-fiction.

Treasure Island is well worth a read (or re-read as the case may be). The entire Pirate genre is right there along with a coming of age and a hero’s journey.

Two great Chinese classics, Water Margin and Journey to the West. Both have their chapters written as serials (tune in same Bat Time, same Bat Channel could just as easily be written) and while a cheap literary mechanic to set up a cliffhanger each chapter, it works. Water Margin will introduce you to every character archetype you have ever seen in anime. Journey to the West is nearly as epically presented as the Iliad and the Odyssey but in less complex story structure. Parts will seem very familiar depending on how many Kung Fu movies you have seen as many chapters have been “borrowed”

Non-fiction: Woodcraft and Camping by Nessmuk and The Book on Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart. Of the two, I enjoyed Nessmuk’s more as he is entertaining as a writer. But Kephart is no slouch either. Either book can be read in a day and can be found online as a pdf if you wish.

posted on May, 14 2023 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Yes indeed mate, Alastair Reynolds is an extremely talented chap.

Don't know if you've read it but as good Sci-Fi books go, would really recommend 'Roadside Picnic' by Arkady Strugatsky

Link

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 04:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

<< 3  4  5   >>

join