It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Vatican Releases Details of Pope's Will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
In 2000, Pope John Paul II made an addendum to his will, questioning whether he has accomplished what he was destined to as the head of the Roman Catholic Church. He also gave thought to his preparedness for death. The 15 page will was written in Polish in 1979, one year after he became Pope, and was reviewed on a yearly basis. The Vatican has provided the media with an Italian translation of the document and have promised its release in other languages soon. Roman officials estimate that over 5 million will have come through the city to pay their respects once the funeral has ended.

www.cnn.com
Reflecting on the story of Simeon, who had been told he would not die before seeing the Messiah, the pope recalled the old man's prayer when Mary and Joseph brought the baby Jesus into the temple.

"Lord, now let your servant go in peace, your word has been fulfilled," Simeon said, the story recounted in the New Testament's Gospel of Luke.

John Paul wrote that he left no material possessions behind and asked that his personal records be burned. Other than his family, he mentioned only two people -- his personal secretary, Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz, and the former chief rabbi of Rome, Elio Toaff, who hosted John Paul in 1986 when he was the first modern pope to visit a synagogue.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It infuriates me that such a great man has been cannibalized by the media in such a worthless manner....

It's news for the greedy these days, and if you want a copy of Pope John Paull II's will, I'm sure in a few weeks you can pick up a copy of it at your local Barnes & Nobles...

To what end do "We the people" need to be kept informed? There are some things in this life worth keeping private....

Related News Links:
www.swissinfo.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Just another way the media profiteers off peoples emotions. I find it funny how people who just a couple years ago were cracking pedophile priest jokes are now glued to the TV trying to find out how the Catholic Church works. This is shameful and wrong. I hope the new Pope addresses this issue.

I recently witnessed such disgrace for the sanctity of religion. I attended midnight mass at Brooklyn NY's Our Lady of Guadalupe Church and this year was a special one because the Bishop said mass. The beautiful trilingual mass (Italian, Spanish and English) was ruined by parishoners pulling out their cameras and snapping photos not only during the opening procession but also during the most holy consecration of the Eucharist. The people have lost all respect for not only each other but the Lord. Woe are the days when man loses the only thing that will save him in the end.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Jeeze, I guess the glass is half empty to you guys

Anyways, if the will was intended to be private, it would be. Perhaps you can take solace in this fact.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
A lot of people are just mindless sheep who just sit in front of the TV and passivly watch the world go by. 24/7 news coverage is more like 11/7 coverage with the rest repeated. THat is what happens when coperate media is more concerned with ratings then they are with reporting stories. THey want easy to write stories that a lot of people are interested in.

I could care less what the Popes will is. My name isn't in it.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
well since millions of people seem to have suddenly become devout catholics and all this talk of prophecy, anything Pope/Vatican related is going to be "news", even if it is the "will" of an old man.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
CAConrad0825 - That's pretty pathetic....I'm not a church-goer myself, but I can clearly understand how desrespectful that is.....

Originally posted by Zipdot
Jeeze, I guess the glass is half empty to you guys

I don't quite see how that can be inferred from my comments....If you mean to imply that I'm against perpetually learning, then you couldn't be further from the truth....

Anyways, if the will was intended to be private, it would be. Perhaps you can take solace in this fact.

My entire point is that these are the last wishes of a well-respected man intended to be directed towards those within his immediate bloodline and the officials responsible for handling his funeral....

Simply due to his fame, we are "treated" to documents which IMO seem an infraction on his rights....

Edit: Removed my thoughts on a few things that were addressed and dealt with elsewhere....

[edit on 4/7/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Amen to that. I myself am a roman catholic going to a Southern Baptist school and the people who used to joke on the church are now badgering me with questions about every aspect of the church. Just strikes me as funny how the death of a great man can provoke such fervor. Can people just die anymore?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Like I say, some catholics would look at the positive side - hey, people are learning more and becoming more interested in catholocism because of the life and death of this fascinating leader.

Let's be honest, here. John Paul II hasn't been too inspiring to teenagers in the past few years because of his demeanor - drooling and nodding off at odd times - a result of his age and sickness. If looking back at his youthful accomplishments stirs people, then let it be.

Don't berate new Christians because they are somehow "fake" just because they are new.

I also see people using the old standby "complaining about the media" ploy. Come on!

An important and famous leader died. He knew his will would be of interest to the masses. He had the option of keeping it secret or not and he opted for it to be public so he could sneak a bible story into it as One Last Teaching.

What the hell is there to complain about?

Relax!

Zip

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Another interesting thing to note: the will did not say who the remaining unknown "secret cardinal" was, so we will probably never know...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
I also see people using the old standby "complaining about the media" ploy. Come on!

It's not too old of a "ploy" to me....It's as fresh as ever.....

Did the media cover Ronald Reagan's Last Will to the same degree?? Not that I recall....The media is only interested in making a sensation out of an event if they think they can pull something out of nothing.....

And on that note, djohnsto77 brings up a valid and interesting point....

And I am relaxed

[edit on 4/7/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Right, ploy was not the right word.

Anyway, I think that the naming of the secret cardinal is the whole point of the media coverage, but since he wasn't named, we are showing what was in the will to show some respect or manners.

We don't want to say, "The secret cardinal was not in the will. Who cares about the rest!"

Zip

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What is this about a secret cardinal? anyone care to explain?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
What is this about a secret cardinal? anyone care to explain?

Check out the link provided above.

new topics

top topics

join