It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Considering you might be sued, should you help someone in public if they have a medical emergency?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   
In the US, can the person sue you? I've heard in China people don't help a stranger in need because they can actually be sued. After helping them, they're sued by the same person they helped. If you know CPR and basic medical knowledge, should you help someone in need?

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I will help someone who needs help. I do my best not to let others intentions dictate my own, and that includes punishment for doing what's right.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonslayer83

The duty to rescue or Good Samaritan Laws vary by Jurisdiction. In France and other European countries, you can be jailed for failing to render aid.

That will probably be changed however as part of the WEF depopulation agenda and in the future crafted by them, you will be subject to summary execution for saving another person's life.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You won't be sued usually. "The Good Samaritan" law protects those who help, try to fail or succeed.

It's always been there....

EMT 1st Responder

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Maybe, I should explain: if your wife, kids whoever is in need of emerg care on the street ..do you NOR WANT me to use my abilities to save them?

Should I look at your traumatized family member n go "Nah. Let em bleed out. No CPR, No Heimlich ....I could get sued." Highly improbable and unlikely. Do you wanna worry about lawsuits...or a human life?

I will save anyone's butt...EMT or not.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Good Samaritan law protects you from acting with good conscience/due regard. If you carry any certification or formal training(lna, emt etc) you may not move from your scope of practice.

But if you use what's called implied consent, meaning anyone of sound mind would generally agree to, doing things like hands only cpr, etc, even if unsuccessful or what have you is generally protected fully. Unless you're doing something that is grossly negligent or whatever- applying a TQ to a neck is an example that comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Can they ? Yes.

Will they win ? Dunno. Depends on the circumstances.

www.hg.org...

Even with these laws in place to help those in emergency situations, there are instances where a lawsuit may still occur. If the person is negligent, reckless or does not obtain permission to act, he or she may become open to liability. Going against professional standards may also lead to these same situations. Then, the person is often liable for damages owed to the victim. Other issues that may arise are federal civil rights which the Good Samaritan laws do not protect the person from because these rules are for the state and not the country.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I personally chase thieves and help people in need every chance i get, and growing up in Philly i have had many.

When you are done you leave. You don't wait for the police, you just leave. You do it because it's the right thing to do.

Can't sue a ghost.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

Exactly. I'm not looking for attention, I just use my tools to fix a problem for my community and depart.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Maybe, I should explain: if your wife, kids whoever is in need of emerg care on the street ..do you NOR WANT me to use my abilities to save them?

Should I look at your traumatized family member n go "Nah. Let em bleed out. No CPR, No Heimlich ....I could get sued." Highly improbable and unlikely. Do you wanna worry about lawsuits...or a human life?

I will save anyone's butt...EMT or not.

Thats the rub though isnt it?

Of course as a first responder, your help would be desired.

Now what about someone who may or may not have practiced on a test dummy and never actually done it and inadvertently causes more harm?

It gets grey really quick.

Regardless, id help anyone in dire need all the same.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Howdy JinMi! As a Joe Public, I'd jump in for anyone. At work, we respond cause we are required too. I/ we/ they just...respond. Any place, anywhere.

As just another guy..and daily CPL carrier...I'd be fine with tryin not to die myself...while tryin to save another's.

I cannot, never could, not respond to anyone in need.

God bless

top topics

join