It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual minimum wage worker's thoughts on raising minimum wage

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Is that the insurance for your home? I’m assuming it is and that’s an extortionate amount to pay! Here in the U.K. home and buildings insurance is about £140 a year and that covers everything. It cost more to insure your vehicle unless you live in a mansion. They shouldn’t be demanding to replace things that aren’t faulty either.

Is that really the norm in the states? It doesn’t sound right at all to me.

As for the housing market in the U.K. we don’t pay property tax, except on the sale of a home maybe, we do have a council tax which is supposed to cover the cost of local services like the bins being emptied and such.

In most property over here the rent is more than monthly mortgage payments, so landlords get to profit from a house they have just bought as long as they have tenants paying the rent. The prices have shot up everywhere because even hedge funds have been buying up properties like crazy in the last few years.

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

It has become a nightmare attack from the system to push people out of their homes.

It looks like they only want the wealthy to own homes and land. I looks like they are really trying to bring back feudal lords, and indentured servants. You know, like in the days of Noah and such.

“Floridians will be priced out of their homes,” Brandes said. “Poor individuals will be forced to put roofs on that they can’t afford to put on.”

fltortreform.com...

Some insurance companies are demanding roof replacement on home with roofs over 10 years old.

Homeowners in Florida are being dropped from their insurers because of the age of their roofs, according to the Insurance Information Institute. It is the latest twist in Florida’s ongoing property insurance problem.

www.clickorlando.com...

This is what happened to me. Mine just doubled.

My homeowner’s insurance renewal just jumped from $5,600 to $12,500 per year. It’s not a misprint. No claims, no changes, I don’t live on the water, just a more than doubling of my rate in one year. Their reasoning? Two significant hurricanes in 2022 and a $40,000 increase in rebuilding costs.

www.tampabay.com...

America is on her last leg. The government and the system are against the people and anyone that dares say anything negative about it, is labeled and enemy of the State. And anyone the tries to do anything about it is quickly labeled a domestic terrorist.

Fear, complacency, and a false sense of security has trapped us in a corrupt destructive system with no way out.

People may be awake, but they have either decided to pretend they are still sleeping, or they are sleep walking. Soon we will realize there is nowhere to go. We will find ourselves standing alone, because we said nothing, and did nothing, and now there is no one left to even speak out.

edit on 24-1-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Addendum.

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

All this nonsense is what caused house prices to go so crazy high in the first place. Anyone with any money has invested in property as it’s made those who got in on this game early very rich. Meanwhile many young people can only dream of buying their own home even though the rent they will be paying is higher than the mortgage would have been... I tell you what is to high these days, pure unadulterated greed.

Not really. I believe what caused this is government interfering in every aspect of housing.
People used to be able to slap together a shed and call it a starter home. Now that is illegal in many places.
Society used to champion multigenerational housing, and until very recently that was very looked down on. Men were especially made fun of if they lived in their parents basement.
Landlords have always been around, that is not something new.

Wow says the person who has been making threads complaining about the cost of things and shortage of lumber for the past year! If a person works a full time job and can’t afford a roof over their head does that make their expectations to much?

I can complain about high costs, AND people’s expectations can be high at the same time, one is not exclusive of the other.
There was a time when you had to have roommates, and WE all worked full time jobs. Remember that show Threes company? It’s just this generation thinks that is unfair.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Fear, complacency, and a false sense of security has trapped us in a corrupt destructive system with no way out.

This seems to be case all over the so called developed world, we have been conditioned to believe we have to both fear and rely on a government that isn’t even fit for purpose at this stage. They have all over reached and quietly shifted to more of a dictatorship than a democracy. They are supposed to represent the best interests of the citizens and instead they treat us like potential terrorists that need to be spied on and have our lives micro managed.

Your right they don’t want the majority owning anything, having assets of real value that we can trade and barter is to empowering. This whole net zero thing will be used to further make home ownership unaffordable except for the very wealthy.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Not really. I believe what caused this is government interfering in every aspect of housing. People used to be able to slap together a shed and call it a starter home. Now that is illegal in many places.

I can’t disagree with that, but who is the government really working for when they are interfering in every aspect of housing and by doing so making it unaffordable for the people they are supposed to represent?

There was a time when you had to have roommates, and WE all worked full time jobs. Remember that show Threes company? It’s just this generation thinks that is unfair.

There was a time when buying a house was the norm and renting was the exception. These days it’s the other way around. Young people don’t have an issue with flat mates/houses shares, but they do have an issue with never being able to get a foot on the so called property ladder. The main issue is the rent is often more than the mortgage payments and they are effectively paying off someone else’s mortgage while not getting any capital from the property they are living in. Tell me how this is fair?

To put it in really simple terms, the landlords buys a house because they have the capital either in the bank or other property. The landlord takes out a mortgage with the minimum deposit on the value of the house, and then proceeds to rent it out to a young family with children, making sure the rent not only covers the mortgage but other expenditure too like repairs and replacements. Over time the young family pays down the mortgage of the landlord, who can down use the capital from the house to buy another property and rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile the landlord can kick out the young family with just a months notice and they have nothing to show for it, no savings or capital, because all there income just covered the rent, bills and food.

I realise some people prefer to rent for various reasons and that’s fine. I just feel really sorry for those like in the example above, that are forced to rent because house prices are off the scale and they don’t have the savings for a deposit.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join