It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is shaking the Jar by Mark Twain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Mr. Twain had several words of wisdom in his life but for some reason this struck a nerve with me. The story of some Black and red fire ants in a jar. youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thank you, Sky! I only wish I could give you all the stars and flags this deserves instead of the limit of one.

P.S. I know Twain didn't say this, but it doesn't take away from the sentiment one bit IMO.

edit on 70000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Thank you, Sky! I only wish I could give you all the stars and flags this deserves instead of the limit of one.

P.S. I know Twain didn't say this, but it doesn't take away from the sentiment one bit IMO.

As with Fire ants and Black ants I doubt they would need the jar shaken to kill each other ! I suppose it is the thought that counts !

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I'd wager a guess and say the black ants will blame the red ones and vice versa, they are not aware of the 3rd hand shaking the jar...

Wash, rinse, repeat...

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Mr. Twain had several words of wisdom in his life but for some reason this struck a nerve with me. The story of some Black and red fire ants in a jar. youtu.be...

Aaannnd you believed it...??? That Clements said it? That ants act like that?

The same has been misattributed to David Attenborough, too, but probably was prompted by a passage in Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle", and has an anonymous source.

Excerpt from Cat's Cradle:

"I can't remember what all Frank had fighting in the jar that day, but I can remember other bug fights we staged later on: one stag beetle against a hundred red ants, one centipede against three spiders, red ants against black ants. They won't fight unless you keep shaking the jar. And that's what Frank was doing, shaking, shaking the jar."

edit on 16/1/2023 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:00 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join