It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bluegrass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It'd be interesting to know what people automatically think when they hear or see this word..Bluegrass…where did it come from? Is all music with a banjo Bluegrass? Yeah..not really…Do all people from Kentucky like Hey Haw? How was Appalachian Folk Music appropriated by The Good Ole Boys?

Bill Monroe did that.

Thoughts..

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

Are those hats compulsory ?

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

It came from Scotch-Irish and the Welsh IMO.

That Mandolin he is holding was built by Gibson Guitar Co in Nashville, Tennessee. My wife, fresh out of college 40 years ago when we lived there was a costumer service agent back then. Bill brought in his because his wife at the time smashed it on purpose. On top of that, he had whittled the "Gibson" name of the head. She told me some young one in the repair side of the business took it upon himself to repair it. Well, he made a mistake they can't take back and he used a modern glue not suitable for wood in the long run. So far, it is sitting in his Museum, I know not where that is, and will likely be safe as long as the temperature and humidity are maintained. Someone taking it out to play it might need to be careful anyway, but they really don't know that it could fly apart for real.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Obligatory like a Hendrix perm for Rock stars in the 70's.

One thing I cannot stand that flat pitch they sing with but the musicianship is like that of Rock and Roll for folk music. These people can play and understand their instruments well.
edit on 23-12-2022 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Always loved it since my dad got into playing it-he was a pro violinist in an orchestra,but nothing sounded as cool as when he played bluegrass style.
I love music from that part of America-I am from Wales UK and I can hear echoes of our celtic folk music in the music of the deep south.

Heres a few I like-

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I was told it wasn't called Bluegrass until Bill Monroe..before him it was just country and the Bluegrass Boys kinda coined the term..creating a sub genre label…But Yes I think You're spot on as far as your origin answer for Appalachian Folk Music being Scotch Irish and Welsh..The fiddle and the banjo alone is a whole other affair..the way I hear it..a reply to: Justoneman

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Those are interesting choices, the first two I know of course, the last one Ill have to be in the mood..Dust in a baggie, I thought was pretty generic but the dudes got his fundamentals of flat picking down pretty good..You wanna hear the man check out Tony Rice..died a year or so back, but he was the best..church street blues being his finest.a reply to: Silcone Synapse

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Those indicate rank..and are respected.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   

One thing I cannot stand that flat pitch they sing with

A type of that is called 'High Harmony" and its one of my favorite sounds.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I grew up in Hazard Ky, just South of Butcher Holler, home of the Queen of Country Music Loretta Lynn. For the first 10 or 12 years of my life, I heard nothing but Bluegrass.

Hee Haw - I don't know about ALL of us, but I certainly liked it.

The hat is optional....but we won't share our 'shine with a hatless stranger.
Just kiddin' we'll share with pretty much anybody....except them damn yankees.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing new bands!
I haven't been to any blugrass for a while. I used to party with these guys back in the day.

I was riding in a vw bus that broke down on I80 headed home from a festival with these guys.
..not sure if they are still playing

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

Obligatory like a Hendrix perm for Rock stars in the 70's.

One thing I cannot stand that flat pitch they sing with but the musicianship is like that of Rock and Roll for folk music. These people can play and understand their instruments well.

I think this flatness is because voice is very secondary to the music and it's usually played in a sing along type venue so all voices can join in.

Bluegrass is pretty massive here in this part of Vancouver Island. There are some yearly festivals, lots of weekly jams at pubs as well as more voice centered groups as well as fiddle only practices. The beauty of bluegrass is that all levels of skill are welcome.

After the lockdowns, it seems to have been the first to start over again so people are really passionate about it.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This, IMO, has to be one of the most astounding, jaw-dropping Bluegrass jam session ever in the entire history of humanity ...

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

You nailed it! Often in most genres - even in semiprofessional and sometimes even amateur settings - things seem to be more about the performance and/or the performers. I think Bluegrass tends to attract the kind of people who care about the music and the community that coalesces around it.

ETA: I realize that may seem to collide with my previous post, but even in that jam session, it's clear to me that it's about the music.
:
edit on 2022 12 23 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Earl pioneered the 'three finger' style and revolutionized the five string with his use of the drone and development of what became known as 'The Scruggs Tuners' which enable the player to drop from the key of g to the key of d to accommodate the fiddle..listen to Earls Breakdown... a reply to: incoserv

edit on 23-12-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: typo

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I think this flatness is because voice is very secondary to the music and it's usually played in a sing along type venue so all voices can join in.

Im giving what You said here serious thought..literally Im going out in 15 below, Im gonna smoke, make me some coffee, kick the dog..that type of serious, it seems like a very nice and benign sentiment..ok..gotit, The Family Circle, very important concept, before the song would have been considered by some to be ;Bluegrass', it isn't..the song tells us that everyone in the family had a role to play..an instrument, a tone..evryone isn't welcome, they'll trash the vibe..high harmony or mono-tone harmony is an art IMO and not everyone can do it or I would go around doing it all the time..Its a Clan-ish activity, very Clan-ish, Everyones welcome to listen, depending..Not coming down on what You said, its nice, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to think about this
edit on 23-12-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: content

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I had a buddy back in 69 introduced me to bluegrass. Had me singing duets with him from Earl and Bill
Bolick , ''The Blue Sky Boys'' from the late 30s.

And if you like ''tear-jerkers'' ya can't do much better than this one

Dust in a baggie, I thought was pretty generic but the dudes got his fundamentals of flat picking down pretty good..

Uhhh, yeah. Billy Strings is for real. Though not our old-timey bluegrass, he is cutting his own way in a wide open field. A field of bluegrass.

posted on Feb, 17 2023 @ 07:06 AM
link   

edit on 17-2-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: ahh..optics

posted on Feb, 17 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

top topics

join