It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Student Debt Relief Go Through?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Call them what ever you want. If you signed your name on a legal contract, you're responsible to pay said contract.

Isn't that what you agreed to by signing on the dotted line?

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Call them what ever you want. If you signed your name on a legal contract, you're responsible to pay said contract.

Isn't that what you agreed to by signing on the dotted line?

The same could be said for businesses, banks, mortgage holders…somehow everyone else is getting bailouts and not too many squeaks about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what you major in, these are predatory loans.

BS. Nobody forced them to get loans for a worthless degree and it absolutely matters what degree you major in.

When I was deciding on a major about 20 years ago it was common for public education to educate students and to encourage them to do research on what degrees were viable and worth spending 4+ years of their life and 10K's+ dollars to get. Now the public system and democrats are more concerned with teaching kids in elementary school that its acceptable to cut their penis off if they associate as a nut or that all white people are evil versus actually teaching practical things that will actually help most kids.

A STEM major in the real sciences and not one who specializes in the engineering diversity of white guilt in plants should be more than capable to get back their money 1000x over after graduating.

Also goes for healthcare in certain specialties and many other degrees as well.

The only predator are the elitist dimwits in Academia who are mostly democrats that pushed a narrative that anyone without a degree (doesn't what degree as long as its a degree) is either a ignorant hillbilly or a minority to victimized by society to get an education.

So that encouraged everyone and their mothers to get a degree in worthless programs and the gov't was all to happy to give them money for it.

I did my research when I decided to go into engineering and so did my wife when she decided to become an ER nurse. Its is not our responsibility or our fault that these kids didn't do their research or fell for the BS hype being pushed by politicians and academia.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

BS. Nobody forced them to get loans for a worthless degree and it absolutely matters what degree you major in.

I just want to chime in. I really don’t think there are worthless degrees. There might be degrees that don’t pay what people think they will when they graduate. There is another side to this.

We often hear of basketweaving, or pottery degrees as the butt of the joke.
Let me tell you, if the shtf, those two professions will be gold. I actually went to a pottery store and that place was making bank. Anything of a unique not mass produced level seems to do well.

Gender studies is another one. Let me tell you, the amount of youth going through some seriously confusing times. It is said there is not enough mental health professionals and there is massive massive unmet demand in that job category.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I just want to chime in. I really don’t think there are worthless degrees. There might be degrees that don’t pay what people think they will when they graduate.

You are correct I could have phrased it better as some people get a degree for multiple reasons and not just for financial gains. I myself could see going back to the university after retirement for hobbies and keeping myself mentally stimulated versus financial gains.

However, in the context of the discussion I was referring to degrees where you shouldn't be shocked if you spent 100K to get one that you will likely never get back your money or be able to pay it off once you graduate.

We often hear of basketweaving, or pottery degrees as the butt of the joke.
Let me tell you, if the shtf, those two professions will be gold.

I'm sure it would but most people don't decide to go into debt and take 4+ years of their life for a SHTF scenario. If they did then they would be better off going into something like healthcare to make money now and be extremely valuable in a SHTF scenario.

Gender studies is another one. Let me tell you, the amount of youth going through some seriously confusing times. It is said there is not enough mental health professionals and there is massive massive unmet demand in that job category.

Ofcoures they are confused and there are more confused children now then ever when in elementary school, media, Hollywood, politicians, and social media are glorifying the transgender movement as some type of empowerment movement. Kids shouldn't be encouraged to make life changing decisions at such a young age.

My neighbor was a phd psychologist at the local hospital and taught at the university along with being a healthcare professional and let me tell you that psychologist need psychologist themselves. They are a crazy bunch over analyzing everything and questioning everything to a point it all becomes meaningless , but thats another story.

posted on Nov, 5 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: JAGStorm

...now draw the line giving to the little guy...

Attorneys and physicians are hardly the "little guy". But surprisingly, I otherwise mostly agree with you.

The majority of the people qualifying and will likely get the school loan bailout will not be attorneys and physicians , but rather those getting degrees that specialize in trans diversified mathematical quantum gender equality studies that meet the income threshold limits due to working at starbucks after their 50K education didn't pan out .

The practicing attorneys and physicians will be over the threshold to qualify and the new attorneys and physicians just graduating are a drop in the bucket compared to all the kids that followed their heart and got a 50k education in under water basket weaving.

Well, you clearly don't get it.

Anyone who made less than $125,000 in 2021 or 2020 or families that made less than $250,000 in 2021 or 2020 qualify to have in the aggregate up to $30,000 and loan forgiveness.

Now let me direct your focus to a simple practical question. If you were truly trying to help those who poorly chose to pursue an academic credential, but did not complete that task, and therefore needed to be freed from the burden of crushing debt, why would you not write the eligibility requirements to more closely match the problem trying to be solved?

This program is nothing more then a vote buying scheme. Like all of the bailout programs of the past several decades, those who need it least will benefit, while those who need it most will see far less than the first group.

posted on Nov, 5 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Well, you clearly don't get it.
Anyone who made less than $125,000 in 2021 or 2020 or families that made less than $250,000 in 2021 or 2020 qualify to have in the aggregate up to $30,000 and loan forgiveness.

Looks like you are the one that is not getting that most Doctor and Attorney family will not qualify as they make more than 250K. The only attorney and Doctor families that will qualify are those straight out of college with little experience which will be far fewer than kids that got education in degrees that pay less than minimum wage like basket weaving racism.

If you were truly trying to help those who poorly chose to pursue an academic credential,

You are still not getting it. I agree with you that they are not trying to help anyone its complete political pandering as I stated several times.

This program is nothing more then a vote buying scheme. Like all of the bailout programs of the past several decades, .

correct

those who need it least will benefit, while those who need it most will see far less than the first group

This is where I disagree with you.

I disagree with your notion that this is set to help the doctors and attorneys. However, I'm not suggesting it was setup to help the little guy either. Instead this is a complete political pandering to get browning points. Nothing more.

In addition the practicing Dr and Attorneys will not benefit as they are likely making over the limits.

The new attorney and dr graduates will benefit, but not as much as the basket weaving guy. The reason being is that there are far more basket weaving graduates that qualify than dr and attorneys that will qualify.

Plus the doctor and attorney graduate with 100K in debt and while 30k forgiveness is nice its not really a big hit to the overall 100Kdebt. The basket weaving guy on the other hand who went for his basket weaving program likely took a 40K loan dropped out of college the 2nd year and still has 35K in debt. There will be far more of those basket weaving types that benefit over the engineers,dr,attorneys, etc who likely got more debt and likely worked on paying down their debt more stringently than the guy with the basket weaving degree working at starbucks after dropping out the 2nd year of college.

Again they aren't helping the basket weaving guy because they care about them or the people. Instead this is solely a political bribery scheme that the tax payers (dr,attorney,engineers,etc) dime.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join