It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sci-Friday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So since I moved away and back my friend group has always had this movie night on Friday.
This week I am giving my pick up to you guys!
My last pick was "Sunshine".
I know this is a short thread but I have been so busy and would also like any ideas from folks here.
I would really like some old school movies that have some geopolitical alien stuff!
Please give some suggestions.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
So since I moved away and back my friend group has always had this movie night on Friday.
This week I am giving my pick up to you guys!
My last pick was "Sunshine".
I know this is a short thread but I have been so busy and would also like any ideas from folks here.
I would really like some old school movies that have some geopolitical alien stuff!
Please give some suggestions.

Alien Nation (1988)

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Old School? How about Colossus the Forbin Project

I first saw this one as the second feature playing with Andromeda Strain. Strain was pretty freaky then but then this one just blew me out of my pants. I credit this one with my early concerns about a total surveillance state coupled or not with an omnipresent AI.

Now in 2022 it may be difficult to get past the rudimentary examples of computer access in 1970 but at the time it was God-awful scary.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Chappie:

In the near future, crime is patrolled by a mechanized police force. When one police droid, Chappie, is stolen and given new programming, he becomes the first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself.
IMDB

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Did you see Under the Skin?

en.wikipedia.org...(2013_film)

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I enjoyed sunshine alot myself, simple and good plot.

I can recommend if not seen:

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Pandorum was quite good. More of an action sci fi.

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
let us know what you pick

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They Live (1988)

www.imdb.com...

The Invasion (2007)

www.imdb.com...
edit on 4-11-2022 by godsovein because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This one may be for one of your future Fridays as its not released yet,but Denis Villenueve is making an old Aurther C Clarke story into a movie-Its called "Rendevous with Rama" and its a good story with similarities to Avi Loeb's ideas about Omuamua-That it may have been an extra terestrial vehicle.
The story is about a group of astronauts who land on the newly discovered space object,and try to find out anything they can,before the object burns up,as its on course to fly into our sun.
The book was good,I'm looking forward to Villeneuves take on it.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 08:50 PM
link   

“Soylent green” might be right up your alley.
“Logan’s run”
“The day the earth stood still”..old one cuz the new one sucks..lol
Those have a geopolitical feel.

But if it’s old school alien you want the try these.
“The thing from another world 1951”. The 80s remake is great too but different.
“Earth vs the flying saucers “
“This island earth”

“When worlds collide “ is a fun sci fi but no aliens.

If you want some campy fun try.
“The green slime”
“Night of the comet”

posted on Nov, 4 2022 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just finished this and it was really good:

Don't Worry Darling (2022)
www.imdb.com...

I suggest watching it without knowing the trailer or anything else, like I just did.

posted on Nov, 5 2022 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Loved this book, was so engrossed in it, there is a second book. a reply to: Silcone Synapse

posted on Nov, 5 2022 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yes the Cube is good I liked it a lot.

Anyone check out Dust channel on YouTube it has heaps of short sci-fi some real good ones on there.a reply to: Spacespider

posted on Nov, 5 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Wavelength (1983)

Starman (1984)

Enemy Mine (1985)

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: godsovein

is that actually sci fi or mostly drama?

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If you liked Sunshine you may like Event Horion (1997) as well. No geopolitics though. And a bit more horror/fantasy. In the style of Pandorum (2009). There's also Sphere (1998) which focuses a bit more on mystery and takes place on earth like The Abyss from 1989 (still not much in the form of geopolitics).

A movie that sounds most similar to Sunshine is Solaris (2002), at least the title, but I haven't seen that one. From the trailer it sounds a bit similar to the other movies I've mentioned so far (mostly like Event Horizon but less horrific and less gore, like Sphere).

I'm not sure which Sci-Fi movies combine geopolitics with aliens though. They Live (1988) perhaps. The Arrival (1996)? Blade Runner (1982), Dark City (1998), Outland (1981) with Sean Connery. These are all decent (fairly*) old school Sci-Fi flicks though. (* at least from the 20th century)

If by "geopolitics" you also mean, or are also including interstellar politics with alien races, you're better off watching a TV series I think. Like Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Babylon 5, Star Trek DS9 or TNG and Space: Above and Beyond. To name some of the best (older) ones. A more modern show that has a ton of geopolitics in it would be The Expanse (but little in terms of aliens, and no alien politics).
edit on 28-12-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No, no, you cannot recommend a flick that not only was MST3K'ed, it literally was The Movie.

What is so interesting about This Island Earth? The huge foreheads? The giant pastry being inserted into a very large toaster? Sorry, you've lost me with this one.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: godsovein

Watched it a day or two ago and thought it was pretty good. The 1940/50's vibe was really creepy. Loved the ending and I can't give it away because I can only speculate on how it goes from there.

OP, one I may recommend is The Host with Saiorse Ronan(SP?), relatively recent flick. I enjoyed it so give it a whirl.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join