It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiritual guidance from an Atheist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I need some help here ATSers...

I want to believe atheists exist but I don't, I just don't believe in unseen things and I just can't seem to find the time.

So I am asking any atheists if they can prove to me that atheists exist and how they go about proving this to others.

Didn't really want this to devolve into a discussion about God or gods, this is more a question about Atheism and Atheists.

Thanks for any help,

I want to believe...

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: iamthevirus

I want to believe...

Do you? Why? What benefit would you derive by "believing" people that don't "believe" exist?

edit on 10-9-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This looks like a version of the old "you can't be an atheist because atheists don't exist" line of argument.
As a Christian who used to be an atheist, I need to advise you that it doesn't really score any useful debate points.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I want to believe...

Do you? Why? What benefit would you derive by "believing" people that don't "believe" exist?

Well I guess atheists are kind of like aliens or those reptilian people... you know some people say they're out there and they exist but I just haven't seen any and no one can provide me with evidence that little green men exist.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I want to believe...

wouldn't that argument be the same on the flip side? What benefit would a non believer get from trying to convert/harass a believer? I get that some believe and some don't, but why anyone needs to fight over that seems superfluous.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   
They are playing make believe. It's actually just another one of the lies they tell everyone. Scripture says everyone knows the truth. It is instilled deep within all humanity. They use this crutch, as a form of rebellion, but it actually shows weakness and dishonesty. Most of these people also engage in human control tactics, and destruction of governments through the passing of immoral laws. The further you try to distance creation from God, the more creation begins to die.

Scripture says that we do not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. It also describes in Revelation what happens when God ceases speaking those words. The Universe melts

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

What benefit would a non believer get from trying to convert/harass a believer?

If that believer wants to force their beliefs on them, then there are lots of benefits, mostly in terms of freedom. Freedom from religious restrictions, freedom from judgment and retribution from people who believe they are appointed to carry their god's will against them, and freedom from the constant rhetoric of threats from their god's wrath.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I want to believe...

wouldn't that argument be the same on the flip side? What benefit would a non believer get from trying to convert/harass a believer? I get that some believe and some don't, but why anyone needs to fight over that seems superfluous.

But how would I go about being a non-believer in God if I wanted to be an atheist?

It seems I would have to "deny" which is different because to deny would imply that I believe something in the first place.

So in fact if I wanted to become an atheists that just means I am a denier and not a true atheist?

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Look, I can tell you that it's very easy to become a non-believer. I still remember (after fifty years) the night that I first self-identified as an atheist. It was during the church service on Christmas Eve, in the middle of the sermon, just after hearing the expression "little baby in the manger", and I said to myself "I don't believe in this stuff".

This kind of contrived logic is very attractive to enthusiastic young Christians, for some reason, but the problem is that nothing happens to change anybody's mind. It all feels very clever, but nothing is being achieved.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
They are playing make believe. It's actually just another one of the lies they tell everyone. Scripture says everyone knows the truth. It is instilled deep within all humanity. They use this crutch, as a form of rebellion, but it actually shows weakness and dishonesty. Most of these people also engage in human control tactics, and destruction of governments through the passing of immoral laws. The further you try to distance creation from God, the more creation begins to die.

Scripture says that we do not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. It also describes in Revelation what happens when God ceases speaking those words. The Universe meltsatheists?

That is kind of odd you know because atheism sounds so much like some kind of religious practice... I don't practice any religion but I myself on a personal note believe in God.

My God is seen and even unseen, my God is light and he does just reside in the visible spectrum, that which we see everyday and in the world of nature around us but God also resides and exists outside of this narrow band beyond the visible spectrum both ways (like in physics)

I like science, it's something I believe in, but atheism I don't know, I'm just unsure and it's so hard to do I giess.

edit on 10-9-2022 by iamthevirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Didn't really want this to devolve into a discussion about God or gods, this is more a question about Atheism and Atheists.

God and Gods are exactly what Atheism and Atheists are all about.

Like you just pointed out....

My God is seen and even unseen, my God is light and he does just reside in the visible spectrum,

edit on 10-9-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Look, I can tell you that it's very easy to become a non-believer. I still remember (after fifty years) the night that I first self-identified as an atheist. It was during the church service on Christmas Eve, in the middle of the sermon, just after hearing the expression "little baby in the manger", and I said to myself "I don't believe in this stuff".

This kind of contrived logic is very attractive to enthusiastic young Christians, for some reason, but the problem is that nothing happens to change anybody's mind. It all feels very clever, but nothing is being achieved.

all that is fluff anyway. When you truly find him, it's an experience you can't convey to others. And each needs to find that truth on their own. Even those in church each Sunday may not all truly believe. But they day they ask, and are answered, they will. I wonder if that is why I'm so much against religion, but still know God is real.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First, you need to understand what an atheist is, instead of relying on others preconceived notions.

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in deities. They don't deny that what people call "God" could exist. They just don't see any definitive evidence that a "God" does exist. Therefore, it is a lack of belief. Not a denial.

An atheist is not going to bother proving to you they don't believe in deities. Suit yourself. I don't care if you believe me. Just like you don't care if I believe in what you believe, unless you're an evangelist.

edit on 9/10/2022 by Klassified because: grammar and wording

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I still remember (after fifty years) the night that I first self-identified as an atheist. It was during the church service on Christmas Eve, in the middle of the sermon, just after hearing the expression "little baby in the manger", and I said to myself "I don't believe in this stuff".

I remember laying in my bed staring at the ceiling, freshly convinced that God was not real, and I contemplated the eternal nothingness that awaited me at death. I pondered the abysmal thought of being nothing forever, because I was convinced my awareness would disappear with my brain upon death. Quite dark stuff for a 13 year old.

About 7 years later through quite unconventional means I began to disbelieve my disbelief. I read the Gospels again with a fresh lens and it finally made sense.

All roads lead to Christ as long as you keep looking for answers without bias.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The Living God set all laws of science. Nature sits on the platform He created

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton
For me, it was a three-year break. But it was necessary.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

The Living God set all laws of science. Nature sits on the platform He created

Consider the difficulty of Implementing the physical programming necessary to create and maintain an atom. There's a negatively charged electron that orbits at goldi-locks zone distance around the positively charged nucleus... with forces in perfect equilibrium so the electron neither crashes into the nucleus, or randomly escapes the orbit for no reason.

Then add on top of that the ability for atoms to come together to form molecules and solid matter in its plethora of forms and functions and you can't help but conclude an intelligent guiding force behind the matter.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
First, you need to understand what an atheist is, instead of relying on others preconceived notions.

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in deities. They don't deny that what people call "God" could exist. They just don't see any definitive evidence that a "God" does exist. Therefore, it is a lack of belief. Not a denial.

An atheist is not going to bother proving to you they don't believe in deities. Suit yourself. I don't care if you believe me. Just like you don't care if I believe in what you believe, unless you're an evangelist.

I seek to understand their inability to believe, in the Pascal's wager sense... by existing as a finite being in an infinity we are forced to chose or pick a side of the coin.

Maybe some are just blinded by the light while others are illuminated by it?

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

a reply to: network dude

What benefit would a non believer get from trying to convert/harass a believer?

If that believer wants to force their beliefs on them, then there are lots of benefits, mostly in terms of freedom. Freedom from religious restrictions, freedom from judgment and retribution from people who believe they are appointed to carry their god's will against them, and freedom from the constant rhetoric of threats from their god's wrath.

This freedom sound like Humanism, so is atheism in fact humanism?

Humanism;
 a system of thought criticized as being centered on the notion of the rational, autonomous self and ignoring the unintegrated and conditioned nature of the individual.

But atheism is not benevolent it is in fact quite the opposite.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Define Humanism. While you're at it, define the god that atheists don't believe in.

ETA: That's not a definition of Humanism. A criticization of Humanism is not a definition.

edit on 10-9-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join