It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come today's generation can't handle the 'feedback' culture anymore since 2016ish?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SortingHat
a reply to: sputniksteve

Even if your the most unbiased person they find someway to pick your words apart and block you if you don't ooze praise out of your mouth.

That could be the case, who knows. We know what you told us happened, but from the other guys perspective thats almost certainly not what happened. Not something special to you and him, that's what happens when we have disagreements. I fully understand neither side thinks they are in the wrong.

I am just not of a mind that thinks we are owed the response we want just because we were polite. You think you did nothing wrong and that "they" are just too sensitive for the world now. They world they live in, that "we" created for them. Yes, it is most certainly "their" fault for being sensitive. We like to get stuck on insisting the present isn't as good as the past, which ignores the fact that we are in the present regardless, and the only thing coming around the bend is the future. Why anyone insists that we all must live in the past while we are occupying the present and about to be in the future is insulting and indicative of far more than I need to explain here. It's infuriating to be told that the inclusive "I" don't get to decide how I live my own damn life, or what I can expect or demand of the people around me simply because someone that was born on this god forsaken planet before me is hung up on some crap that they experience 40 years ago. That environment turned the inclusive "most of you" into raging, greedy, selfish, A-holes.

I am smack in my middle age with 2 children. I happen to like their generation a whole F'ing more than I like the ones that came before mine. I would trade half of them for all of "you". All of their sensitivities is what I actually want in a human being, can you even imagine that? I want the future human beings to care about each other, and to care about me. Do you understand? Why you would try and isolate and condemn the people that will soon be running society and the world for any reason other than a sick attempt at more control and manipulation is so hair brained of a concoction of an idea that "you" all complaining about them look like the grandest idiots that ever lived.

Those sensitive kids will dance on all of our graves, and I will be cheering them on.

I don't know how old you are, I don't know when you were born. The "you" I type aren't directed at YOU necessarily. I am speaking in grander terms that I assume you will identify with considering your post. But honestly, if you care so little about society as a whole to discount an entire generation because they have too many "feelings" for you, I couldn't care less how you take my post.

I think you and a whole lot of people on this website need some serious self reflection. Me included. We all do. We have been on a 40+ year bender and seriously need to stop and check on the kids.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

I would LOVE to tell Archive Of Our Own that! Since the days of FanFiction.net and it's sister site Fiction Press for original works only there has been a pull away from feedback to the author. They now have all this 'I write for fun so DON'T say nutting!' and delete your posts promptly.

One time I accurately predicted what they'd say to me and she freaked out thinking I was stalking but baseed my ideas on how the OC reacts to certain events in the book and the girl threatened to call the police on me if I spoke again and all I did was quote what the OC said and pointed out some errors and fallacies in the logic and hoped the author didn't actually believe any of that.

She was pushing certain political views in the fic to her it's normal way of thought but in reality didn't hold any ground and certain logics in terms of healing/medicine that wouldn't work in real life and character choices that makes me bang my head knowing the way it was going to go.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

That's why we are going back to the future! It's your kids!
Video clip not showing despite posting the last bit of code on the YT icon. I wonder if it's too political correct for YT I mean for God sakes it's just a Back To The Future clip!
edit on 26-6-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)
This is exactly the 'walking on egg shells' you never know what will get you bumped or not now.
edit on 26-6-2022 by SortingHat because: Bumpity bump.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Not sure where this belongs since it is a general topic:

Be it fanfiction,youtube,etc they just lose their crap.

When it's obvious they are not getting what they seek and you point out a few simple mistakes that are easily fixable without ruining what work they did or make it be something it isn't they will shadow ban you or block you somehow and be snarky about it instead. Be it fan projects or videos,fanfiction,et. The 'Feedback' culture has vanished.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   

a reply to: MetalThunder

I would LOVE to tell Archive Of Our Own that! Since the days of FanFiction.net and it's sister site Fiction Press for original works only there has been a pull away from feedback to the author. They now have all this 'I write for fun so DON'T say nutting!' and delete your posts promptly.

One time I accurately predicted what they'd say to me and she freaked out thinking I was stalking but baseed my ideas on how the OC reacts to certain events in the book and the girl threatened to call the police on me if I spoke again and all I did was quote what the OC said and pointed out some errors and fallacies in the logic and hoped the author didn't actually believe any of that.

She was pushing certain political views in the fic to her it's normal way of thought but in reality didn't hold any ground and certain logics in terms of healing/medicine that wouldn't work in real life and character choices that makes me bang my head knowing the way it was going to go.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
They're offended that you disagree.

The no child left behind generation has kids of their own now. Adults with children grew up getting awards for participating....

They've literally never lost any competition, failed any test, etc... No matter how much they should have.

link   

That's why we are going back to the future! It's your kids!
Video clip not showing despite posting the last bit of code on the YT icon. I wonder if it's too political correct for YT I mean for God sakes it's just a Back To The Future clip! This is exactly the 'walking on egg shells' you never know what will get you bumped or not now.

link   

originally posted by: Terpene

expect some feedback

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 07:18 AM
link   

When it's obvious they are not getting what they seek and you point out a few simple mistakes that are easily fixable without ruining what work they did or make it be something it isn't they will shadow ban you or block you somehow and be snarky about it instead. Be it fan projects or videos,fanfiction,et. The 'Feedback' culture has vanished.

Overinvasive social media and smart technology puts a strain there and opens a closer avenue for the foe train to whittle away, knick and chip at all your toobers, setting them on edge like no TV star would ever experience. By the time someone with good constructive feedback that is genuine gets to them theyre ready to strike and so it goes with this new breed of annoyers that organize in hundreds and attack singular targets, not only on the internet but also in life.

Theres nothing of great importance or critical value on social media, its the garbage of the garbage. Everyone likes some garbage TV to watch every so often and that attitude has made its way onto the internet toobs and exploited full tilt. Everything is a nub of its former self now, right down to the "magazine articles" which are shorter than book leafs now.

I gave up on this junk a long time ago and pretty much assume mcdonalds owns the world and makes all the content. That way Im never disappointed and my expectations are so low theyre basically flatlining in a heart monitor.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hey if that guy got a record deal for saying it why cant I?

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Sounds like a 'back in my day' type rant. No one has ever done that and no previous generation has ever thought the subsequent ones were all a bunch of pussies until now.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Sounds like a 'back in my day' type rant. No one has ever done that and no previous generation has ever thought the subsequent ones were all a bunch of pussies until now.

Yea, this generation is the strongest. Where is my therapy lama!

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Yea, this generation is the strongest. Where is my therapy lama!

Probably next to your Atari.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Except there used to be active workshops for authors and guides for readers alike and people regularly reviewed. IE: Not just give oozing amount of praise but actually reviewed. There wasn't this prominent Us vs Them attitude. Reader vs Writer or viewer vs nerd,etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I would ask how old are you, and ask to reflect on that and the generation youre a part of and what the differences you feel theyre are, between the generation before .......what do you observe in your own generation

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Except there used to be active workshops for authors and guides for readers alike and people regularly reviewed. IE: Not just give oozing amount of praise but actually reviewed. There wasn't this prominent Us vs Them attitude. Reader vs Writer or viewer vs nerd,etc.

So you actively participate with an "Me" vs. "all them" attitude, but are now upset that there is a "Vs" culture?

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

I think social media use has formed a mindset that a few posters have mentioned and it's spot on. The idea that hundreds or thousands of people can "like" your message, good or bad (and a few people can dislike it) is not only unnatural but it's giving people a false sense of entitlement. ATS is complicit in this as well. The star system is just that: Validation in the form of "upvotes", "stars", and "likes".

I'm not blaming a specific generation, whatsoever. I'm blaming everyone that uses a social media website with validation programming. Myself included. It's one thing to make comments or statements to friends and family and get feedback, it's an entirely different game when the world is watching. I believe it's creating this entitlement on a grand level, and it's damaging our minds and connectivity. Facebook engineers even talked about this and how they actually created the algorithms to do just this and more.

I don't think people are the same as people 20 years ago. Generations aside, it seems like everyone is looking for their "pat-on-the-back" and when they don't get it, chaos may ensure. Someone may throw a milkshake at a fast food worker. Another person may start a fist-fight with an elderly man who disagreed with them. Someone else may record the actions of someone they don't even know, doing something they find stupid or offensive, just to post it for their internet "fame" with no regard to privacy. It's unsettling.

I believe it's a modern problem because of technology and social media. I blame us all for enabling it's widespread use and participating in spreading it around. I feel bad for children being brought up and using the same enabling garbage and I congratulate children that stay away from it.

Sadly, I don't see it getting better until something shuts it all down.
And I don't see that happening for a while.
Especially with the new digital ID and currencies coming.
Social credits come to mind in all this.

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

They can't handle it because they've never been told no.

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Thin skin. Instant gratification. No adversity. Pacified. Unconditional adulation. Safe space. Stairway To Heaven.

When you put too much stock into applause it is chemically the same thing that happens when a gambler takes a huge payout. Pleasure chemicals flood you brain to the point of dependency. Instagram influencers addicted to retweet numbers.

And when it's the opposite and reality pisses on your persona with any sort of critique the response is an analog to withdrawl. A physical writhing emptiness that doesn't release the safe space fix that only acknowledgement and encouragement from peers can supply.

My thoughts anyway.
edit on 13-7-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Because .................

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join