It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Counter-UAS: Tips and Tricks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
From the S2 Underground Youtube channel.

I found this S2 briefing instructive but thought to add to his suggestions tips and tricks a bit of signal Jamming and Signal Override options. Most civilian drones only use a handful of frequencies and is an issue when multiple drone pilots are operating at the same time. Drones use two sets of frequencies, one for controlling the drone (900 MHz) and one for relaying video (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz).

I would add some tricks the Afghans use which are tires filled with compost to simulate heat signatures.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
(...)Most civilian drones only use a handful of frequencies and is an issue when multiple drone pilots are operating at the same time. Drones use two sets of frequencies, one for controlling the drone (900 MHz) and one for relaying video (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz).(...)

Top comment on that YT page:

Arklain Quirk
vor 1 Tag
(...)Most civilian drones only use a handful of frequencies and is an issue when multiple drone pilots are operating at the same time. Drones use two sets of frequencies, one for controlling the drone (900 MHz) and one for relaying video (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz).

At least you could have mentioned the name of the real author of these words you used as if they were yours.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

So you are the self-appointed net-etiquette police
Good for you.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I found this S2 briefing instructive but thought to add to his suggestions tips and tricks a bit of signal Jamming and Signal Override options. Most civilian drones only use a handful of frequencies and is an issue when multiple drone pilots are operating at the same time. Drones use two sets of frequencies, one for controlling the drone (900 MHz) and one for relaying video (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz).

I would add some tricks the Afghans use which are tires filled with compost to simulate heat signatures.

900MHz is old, we stop using that like 10 years ago. As to burning tires, not really good at anything since we can see they are burning tires and if you are standing next to a burning tire then we can see you too...lol

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't think you need to burn the tire, it gives off a heat signature due to the nature of fertiliser/compost.

a reply to: Xtrozero

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
I don't think you need to burn the tire, it gives off a heat signature due to the nature of fertiliser/compost.

I still do not know what you do with it. Are they under them? MWIR today is like normal day observations on a very distinct level. If we go back 10 15 years ago IR outside of FLAR was basically blobs of heat moving around, but even with that we could, with practice, tell what is human or animal by the heat leaving and movement aspects. MWIR is extremely precise and in high detail today to where you really can not hide from it using other heat sources.

edit on 2-6-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yeah that makes sense.
But something is better than nothing, right?

At this point in time, when I think about mil tech I just shudder because I think we have basically entered beyond Terminator and no one really thinks about it. We have kept the really good stuff on the side burner.

I am not sure if it's because of a disclosure / black budget situation (not ET) or if it's because TPTB prefer to keep using meatbags to do their dirty work.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

my drone can fly a pre determined flight path with out gps using internal sensors and memory

and if it really gets lost it will just go back the exact way it came.

most modern good drones have an internal map(like a cruise missile) that it can use its last GPS ping and starting area to fly outside of a GPS or signal denied area.

also the FCC would not be happy with you blasting interference out over a wide area.

you do not own the space over your head, don't believe me than maybe you should send a bill to the major airlines or request they don't fly over your house and see how that goes.

also if you destroy a 1000+ dollar drone you might be charged for destruction of property and at that price leve3l it is a felony or would have to replace it.

leave the jamming to the military

no one is watching you with drones, people aren't that interesting.

if you have a neighbor that is flying a drone around just ask them to stop and they will.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

here is the us law regarding airspace over your land(if you own it)

The Court ruled that the landowner "owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land." (U. S. v. Causby at p. 264.) Everything above was navigable air space, available to the public.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

That's quite vague. As much as he can occupy and use.
So what If i made my house into a wizards tower?

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

lol

you would get a cool cloak and hat and maybe a staff

dont get me wrong if some one is being a creep and looking in your windows or clearly scoping your property out call the cops with a video.

if you take the law into your own hands at least in the US in this regard it might come back to haunt you.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

That's quite vague. As much as he can occupy and use.
So what If i made my house into a wizards tower?

There are limits too on that, but a drone at 100 feet up doesn't give anyone the right to mess with it within reason.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Do you read a thread before or after you post a response? I am just wondering because your response seems like you might have been a bit distracted as far as the details of the OP.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Do you have any personal combat training at the level of say an infantryman? I ask because you might then be aware that a combat position is both cover and concealment. It is also a 3d kind of thing. If you are say in a dug-out position and have some rows of tire piles with compost in them above your position at exposure points in your entrenchment you have pretty good thermal concealment if you stick to your position.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Do you read a thread before or after you post a response? I am just wondering because your response seems like you might have been a bit distracted as far as the details of the OP.

Well if you watch the video, which I did, it is not talking about 500 dollar drones, but drones over all in a military environment. If the OP was only talking about disrupting simple drones with signal jamming that isn't something easy to do outside of a military type environment without a good amount of effort involved. In any event even simple drones have a go home logic that will just have them fly back to a GPS location if signal is disrupted which would be more of an out of range event, but basically the same with jamming. If you wanted to override the GPS you will need a GPS simulator and now we are talking big bucks and brains in general.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Do you have any personal combat training at the level of say an infantryman? I ask because you might then be aware that a combat position is both cover and concealment. It is also a 3d kind of thing. If you are say in a dug-out position and have some rows of tire piles with compost in them above your position at exposure points in your entrenchment you have pretty good thermal concealment if you stick to your position.

It all depends on the camera and duration the drone can stay on target. With old or simple IR maybe OK, but these days IR is really good and you will see hot tires and people laying near the hot tires too. With simple drones I'm sure if they see a bunch of hot tires they will just call in artillery on that area, I would. With simple drones they would only be able to see the first volley of artillery and say something like 50m long, 25m to the right, type of information but effective. A little bigger and you will see a laser pointer hitting the spot, and finally laser designator in better drones that guild the incoming to the exact location. Finally add in how long the drone can watch the area. I watched a hilltop in the days of old IR and some guy in robes was there but I really couldn't see him well so I could not call it. After 3 hours he moved and end of story.... How about a drone that sits there for 10+ hours...lol

Since we are talking something like establishing hot tires for cover I'm assuming we are not talking like your back yard, do you agree?

edit on 3-6-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Okay. I think you likely know more on this subject than I do. I hardly stay even close to updated because it is not my field. I do try and follow it because there is such utility in UAV systems. I understand a lot of the latest have direct satellite uplink instead of ground control directing them.

posted on Jun, 5 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Okay. I think you likely know more on this subject than I do. I hardly stay even close to updated because it is not my field. I do try and follow it because there is such utility in UAV systems. I understand a lot of the latest have direct satellite uplink instead of ground control directing them.

Its actually my job this last 15 years, I deal with all this on a daily bases. Most do not has satellite uplink and have about a 60 miles range at best for the 250k to 500k cost ones. To go 300 miles you need sat link and now we are talking a million or more. Sat link in anything below like a pred is cutting edge right now as the system isn't that small, but has become smaller so drones in the 150 to 200 pound range are now seeing it.

posted on Jun, 5 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Cool job.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join