It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on the Best MA.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Shaolin ShadowBoxing.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Tai Chi Gong. It may seem innocent, but have you ever seen someone do it fast? They can brake arms and necks like snap.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Such a subjective term... Aikido is a favorite of mine, though in the few rare fights I've ever been in, I've used various maneuvers, but most often, I'm fond of grabbing whatever is close to hand and using it to beat an opponent senseless, so that I can then walk away....

Ash

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Ok to clarify JKD is taught in both areas as a concept and as an art. When taught as an art it is taught in the form of Jun fan gung fu. This is what I studied. This is what I learned from many instructors including Dan inosanto. If you don't know Dan's qualifications for teaching Jkd look him up. JKD in itself is a philosophy of self study, Jun fan gung fu embodies this philosphy into a curriculum. So I myself say I have studied JKD. People who are in the MA community at all know the debate behind this whole argument. I simply wanted peoples opinions. Thanks for everyone giving thier opinion and no arguments springing up

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   
...not a martial art...

...also a weapons form...but I'd take 'Mau Taiaha' any day of the week over any other non-firearms weapon form...

Mau Taiaha is the offensive/defensive useage of a Taiaha...the dude in my avatar is holding one...

...I've sparred against a number of other Oriental Weapons Forms, utilising the Taiaha while the sparring partner utilised weapons from sai, bo staffs, kama, tonfa, even Katana...Taiaha parrying techniques are far superior as they incorporate a strike within the very essence of the parry...then when the taiaha user switches from defence to offense things just get real nasty real quick...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   
A candle lit dinner,
Soft romantic music
A good bottle of wine,
An and evening of peace......

... is the best Marital Aid I can recomend

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
A candle lit dinner,
Soft romantic music
A good bottle of wine,

...ahhh...I can see NC is one Rooster who keeps his Hen happy...

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
A candle lit dinner,
Soft romantic music
A good bottle of wine,

By the above statement, I'd like to add, that just when you think you know someone or have them *pinned* as this or that, they come in with something like this and shock the ever loving pants off of you!! You are a true romantic Net, I am now seeing you in a completely different light *candle* light that is

Mag

(And Alien, heed the mans words, for yes, that does keep the hen quite happy)

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
(And Alien, heed the mans words, for yes, that does keep the hen quite happy)

Mags...you know full well not only would I do that, but I'd also have a poem written as well...

But still... *scribbles notes*

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm fond of grabbing whatever is close to hand and using it to beat an opponent senseless, so that I can then walk away....

Like as in sticklike object and rocklike object?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I did Karate when i was younger...managed to get upto Purple and white belt!

Sadly one of the best Sensei's has died, Enoeda will be missed!

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
By far mine.

She baked us cookies and would buy us Google peanut butter (yum yum in the tummy yum yum)...

I have a real good PA too.

[Edited on 20-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Valhall's subtle-as-a-brick approach could be missed by anyone lacking in maternal instinct.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, if you ask me, which you sorta did, the best type of hand to hand combat is probably boxing in all seriousness. I appreciate the martial arts for the style and mental philisophies entailed but one on one, I really feel like a good boxer decimates a great martial artist.

Think about it

An 18 year old Tyson vs Bruce Lee, how does Lee block one of Tyson's punches? It would break his arm clean in half! Also, if even one of Tyson's haymakers connect, it's lights out and possibly death for Lee. On the other hand Tyson can take a few shots to the body without slowing down.

Other examples

Roy Jones Jr. vs Jackie Chan

Ali vs Jet Li

Etc,

It's my opinion but I think it's no contest.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You are so wrong about this.

Bruce Lee could have poked out Mike Tyson eyes while that big dumb ass wouldn't have done anything but hitting air.

What would be the best martial arts? I must be either shaolin kung fu, jeet kune do or thai boxing. Thai boxing is realy brutal. Deadly.

But one art that I really admire is capoiera. Their moves are so cool.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
You are so wrong about this.

Bruce Lee could have poked out Mike Tyson eyes while that big dumb ass wouldn't have done anything but hitting air.

What would be the best martial arts? I must be either shaolin kung fu, jeet kune do or thai boxing. Thai boxing is realy brutal. Deadly.

But one art that I really admire is capoiera. Their moves are so cool.

Sorry you are wrong about the boxing.

But it really depends on the style of fight you are talking about. A good percentage of people train in MA. Firstly with the pre-conception of becoming an invincible figher. This changes when they relise that the art is a disapline.

But if you have any real first hand knowledge of fighting (street or pupbrawling, the most common theaters for uncontroled fighting) the boxer is going to be the dominant component. Third dan master or higher, I dont care, He is going to get his ass whiped. Real fights are not like the movies. They are a combination of boxing, kicking and wrestling. The only competitor better equiped is one with kick boxing experience, this is essentially what fighting is. Karate, kung fu and other MA's are mearly hard core dancing.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddas
Sorry you are wrong about the boxing.

I can relate to that. When it comes to fighting the key thing is experience. If you put up a Brazilian street child against a MA guy with no experience outside the mat, the streetwaker will probably win.

As I've stated before, Krav Maga is my favorite MA. It combines boxing with certain oriental techniques and is an extremely effective offencive defencive disipline. It may not look very nice, but I promise you, if you ever meet an Israeli soldier who invites you into a fight: say no. You'll end up six below before you know it.

Also, Tai Chi Gong is an amazing disipline. A friend of mine who trained Tai Chi in Oslo some years back told me about when they were visited by this old master. He was a skinny short guy at about 70. He asked the heaviest person in the group to try and turn him over, and this really big guy weighing way over 100 kg, stormed against him. Guess what. The 70 yearold master stood exactly at the same spot while the man on the floor and the rest of the group got a lesson for life.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
"The toughest man in the world lives right around the corner" Quote my dad

Meaning that no matter how trained you are in any skill, your day will come, it doesn't matter.

I firmly believe that on any given day, anything can happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join