It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

webedoomed

What's a Pgenis to do? Be a loser, of course. GED at 17, attempted college a year early, and was severely disappointed.

Sounds familar.

Coasted through Highschool and early college. Hit University and got a huge shock! I had things so easy in high school I slacked and fell behind. Survived though and have a reasonble and usefull qualification to show for it. I just wish I hadnt of been left to form bad habbits dureing high school.

Funny how those in the maths and science club seem to be meh at english.
edit on 25-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

crazyewok

webedoomed

It's just so freaking arbitrary. There are far too many exceptions to the rules. Not my cup of tea.

I have no clue what "proper" english is supposed to be. I like what works. What works is NOT what they teach in English class, for the most part.
edit on 25-12-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by nixie_nox

Same. Duke's gifted and talented list. 99th percentile mathematics and sciences standardized tests. Did homework in class, else never. Extracurricular activities related to creativity + maths/sciences. Couldn't stand english, but learned/intuited enough to pass.

Then came middle school. By this point I was too far advanced to bother. I had absorbed enough outside of school to think this system could possibly properly educate me.

What's a Pgenis to do? Be a loser, of course. GED at 17, attempted college a year early, and was severely disappointed.

I get called a genius just as often as whatever combination of derogate terms you can imagine. We just don't work well in the system, it seems.

I know, right?

I hate school. I hated college. It was like pulling nails. I need to learn on my own. Online education courses work much better for me, because then I can learn on my own terms. But now that they have them, I can't afford them. XD

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I just learn, period. A lot of what is tossed out as "education" seems to be common sense, or close to it. Like, I can intuit this on the fly without being taught. No need to for "education" just throw me in there!

I get tidbits from all over the place.. overhearing people, the internet, various books, even the tele... the big difference between me and most "educated" is that all the subjects blur into one field of knowledge and understanding. I make interconnections between the subjects, and most people find this to be exceptional, I just think it's merely thinking!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

webedoomed

It's just so freaking arbitrary. There are far too many exceptions to the rules. Not my cup of tea.

I have no clue what "proper" english is supposed to be. I like what works. What works is NOT what they teach in English class, for the most part.

I got lucky in my highschool engish as I got a rather open minded teacher who took a great intrest in me and worked round my dyslexia and I did find that I can be rather creative in my writeing when I want to be. Still I feel more at home in a Science Lab or a History museum.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

webedoomed

I just learn, period. A lot of what is tossed out as "education" seems to be common sense, or close to it. Like, I can intuit this on the fly without being taught. No need to for "education" just throw me in there!

I get tidbits from all over the place.. overhearing people, the internet, various books, even the tele... the big difference between me and most "educated" is that all the subjects blur into one field of knowledge and understanding. I make interconnections between the subjects, and most people find this to be exceptional, I just think it's merely thinking!

That is a good way of explaining it. I tell people I am really good at seeing "patterns". I don't know how else to explain it.

People watching is one of my favorite things to do. I also like learning about people, no matter their walk of life. I can ask them questions for hours, whether you are a rockstar or a mailman.

I just "absorb".

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

crazyewok

webedoomed

I got lucky in my highschool engish as I got a rather open minded teacher who took a great intrest in me and worked round my dyslexia and I did find that I can be rather creative in my writeing when I want to be. Still I feel more at home in a Science Lab or a History museum.

It is funny, we all seem to be one brained or the other. English and literature was like breathing to me. So was science. But math I really struggled with.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I have noticed that too!

Some of us more brighter sparks excel at the Sciences and maths, some the arts, some the languages. I think it all how are brains are wired.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I have to go with this. I compile data from everywhere I can find data really. why I ask allot of questions on ATS. IM always asking and probing everwere, infact I piss people off with it!. I also do like interconnection with my subjects too, its why although I did a mostly microbiologically focused Biology degree I mixed in a hell of a lot of Biochem. I also even used to throw out random history and geography curve ball that would make my biology lecturers think , like epidemic patterns and microbe adaptation from history, or geograhic factors. Used to score me some brownie points.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Having a high IQ is much like Democracy, where the smart ones always loose because the idiots are always in majority.

Personaly i dont think a high IQ is good for every one. It is quite demanding when it comes to personal strenght and patient towards other people. This might be a reason why a lot of them snap or just isolate them selves from society. They just cant handel the majority of fools running Things.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Yep. It seems that the "gifted" are rarely well rounded. I notice that a lot of merely bright people are the ones who absorb without making the deep connections, and they can make straight A's or close to it in all subjects.

Another thing that tends to happen with "gifted" or "geniuses" is eccentricities that seem pathological. My values, preferences, and perceptions are far outside the "norm".

For instance, the love of my life is currently in prison, a methwhore, lost her front teeth, more than one std, and just in general a complete freaking wreck in societies eyes.

In my eyes, she's absolutely magnificent just as she is, and someone who is capable of pushing far past where most people fear to tread.

I just don't view the surface level pathologies as most people. I see potential for exceptional growth where most people see mere wickedness/evil/wrong.

I just don't get "wrong"... as most people perceive it.

I consider her to be doing time for someone else's rhyme. . .

Well there's been a bit too much bubbly over here, I'll lay low for a bit and leave this thread be... apologies.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It seems as likely to be reverse? The Journalism class I'm taking this semester is essentially English III for order and level. Ya might have noticed...though I know it's not obvious...but I love writing.

I truly enjoy it. I'll even share something while I'm sure the ATS friendly instructors I know are doing something other than this on Christmas. I've yet to do an Essay or Term Paper where I spent more than 3 hours from start and no notes to the finished enchilada. (I actually credit my post count HERE for a lot of that, quite literally. ATS can be real training in some ways.) I got a B on just one of them..but I admit I also totally missed the point the instructor was looking for in an anthropology paper. A's on every other. (not on every assignment..but papers)

Now to balance that, I'll admit my achilles heal is math..and I voluntarily rolled back to 040 for the 2nd time through. (we won't talk about 050.... ever.. lol) That's not math challenged....that's math handicapped somehow. Thats basic algebra prior to meeting a real 2 sided equation..and I can't, for the life of me, keep the myriad of rules and 'if it looks like this, do that' procedures straight.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

You know what the scariest thing I ever saw on tv was? That haunts me to this day? The episode on The Twilight Zone where the guy was the sole survivor of the end of the world, and he was a bookworm that survived in a library, but his glasses broke so he couldn't read anything. LOLOL

Nerd Quirk #157

When you want to live in the Beast's castle from Beauty and the Beast because of his library.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have definitely noticed. You threads are some of the most well written I see. If I haven't left a comment I normally leave a star and flag. Your North Korea series was amazing. Your writing skill surpasses mine by miles. It shows you have a gift there.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Nerd Quirk #157

When you want to live in the Beast's castle from Beauty and the Beast because of his library.

When I was 5 I had the picture book and used to think that

Funny enough I have a small libary. I collect History and Science books. Didnt even happen on purpose the collection sort of built up over the last 26 years of my life

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

lol... Well written or long winded... I think I've heard a bit of both. I hate ever feeling like I'm bragging tho..so the other half of that was just as important or more so. Strong in one area but flat in another is an odd thing I suppose I've never really thought about or noticed that way.

You want to add another odd thing? Advanced Excel is one I got 989/1000 in points last semester. Go figure... I'm a fuzzy little contradiction that's just doomed to re-live algebra like groundhog day.

* Oh, did I mention for anyone not familiar with it, I could be pursuing a Masters Degree in finer basket weaving theory and I'd still need Algebra 130? .... (grumbles something about stupid, inane, absurd and iillogical little requirements in life)
edit on 25-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Im great a most maths, Algabra Im very soild in (I have to be) but when it comes to trigonometry I fall flat
Luckly Im good enough at the rest that I used to make up for it and there no trig thank god in Microbilogy
So yeah I think we all have exceptions even within subjects.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I actually took algebra, trig, and precal in the same summer while I was in college!

Not sure if some of the highest maths would have stumped me or not, but everything I took was pretty straight forward..

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
hmm, it dp on me, and not the good kind :/

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Show off

Though its not so much the idea behind trig that stumps me, its just I cant use a protractor or ruler to save my life. But that probably more to do with the type of dyslexia I have, dysphraxia.

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join