It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI-24 taken out with stinger

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   
To be honest the footage looks to be a camera mounted on a tripod that has remote control to turn it. I work with drones and our cameras are motor driven, so somewhat slow and steady but variable based on the zoom. The more you zoom in the slower it moves. That camera looks like it is solenoid operated drive that is much quicker and is used on small drones due to how small and light they can be.

I would bet it is all remote hence the reason for the camera.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

I have no idea in this case, but the vast majority of Ukraine's manpads are not actual Stingers.

Old russian gear and lower tech European models make up most of their inventory.

Actual Stingers were only added as a result of the most recent russian invasion of Ukraine, along with most of the European models.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It’s actually believed to be a Polish Grom, not a Stinger.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: noscopebacon

very interesting.

i would assume the seekers have been upgraded

also do you need a lock on before firing the stinger or can you use fire it in the general location to where you want it and it will find the heat source and guide it's self?

I don't know about seeker upgrades. It was in the mid 80's that I trained with them. We were trained to get lock before firing. I don't know about newer models. I do know that the models we used had a habit of locking on the Sun if aimed in that direction.

We were filling in a hole in the ship's defenses. Off Lebanon we found out that we had nothing that would engage an aircraft like a Cessna or Piper. Everything was geared towards high speed military aircraft and missiles. It was almost impossible for a Tomcat to shoot down a low slow flying aircraft. At that time the CIWS wouldn't lock on one because of the way it's radar was setup. We would put M-60 machine guns in helicopters and use the 50 caliber machine guns on the ship to try to knock something down, but, it was iffy. The idea was to use Stinger teams as a point defense system. Surprisingly I obtained a good lock on a Cessna 182 and a Piper PA28.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Poland’s assistance would come in the form of Grom man-portable air defense missiles, drones of unspecified type, “tens of thousands of” artillery rounds, and light mortar systems. Furthermore, Warsaw was furnishing 132 tons of humanitarian assistance (medical supplies, 2 million masks, bedding), and was ready to provide economic aid to Kyiv, particularly pertaining to gas supplies.

edit on 5-3-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Yeah,pay attention to the little details. parts are falling off of it as it falls faster due to loss of lift. the copter also is rotating clockwise as it falls. If thats a fake its a multi million dollar fake. The explosion alone and fireball would leave artifacts you can pick out if it was CGI.

NO That hind got its HIND tore up from the floor up.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Is that a clip from Red Dawn ?

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

You don't lead with a heat seeker. On the MI-24 the engine exhaust is on either side in front of the rotor. That's where the missile guided to. I have to question if that was a Stinger? They usually don't leave that much of a smoke trail. In fact I have to question the validity of the entire video.

I've fired both the Redeye and the Stinger in training.

Are you using that VPN a lot vlad

You sound a lot like one of the many anti west twitter accounts I’ve seen today

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You beat me to it. That's why it's pretty smoky.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 09:54 PM
link   

my brother is in the marines and he does 'computer stuff' that's about as much as i can get out of him he said when he retires he might tell me.

but he got stinger training before going to the sea of Aman he said it was all digital and than he got to fire a real one at a drone the launched far away he said they shot them down over the beach/ocean.

he was on one of those cool boats that helos land on, i could see the stinger being used as an all hands on deck type of point defense system against drones or smaller air craft.

i wonder if that Grom uses an argon gas cooler, he was telling me all sorts of cool stuff about the system in general and he said that the argon would dump out of a tank and cool the seeker.

he tried to explain the eye piece to me but i didn't get it.

and as far as i know it is the only MANPAD with an IFF antenna

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Hang on a minute. If that's a video of a Russian convoy in Ukraine, why are they bypassing all those towns and villages? The Ukranians are saying the Russian are murdering all the civilians. Why aint they attacking those towns and villages?

I would imagine they are not running a smooth enough operation to use their ordinance on smaller targets and be confident in a resupply. Just a guess. Their logistics are not looking great.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:14 AM
link   

do you think a stinger or similar US MANPADS could hit a cruise missile ? i have always wondered about that.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Pretty hard hit.Always thought Mi24,s were designed to take SAM and manpad hits and survive a landing.Taking an engine out still gives you one that can get you down.Not sure if they have redundancy system for the gearbox.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Pretty hard hit.Always thought Mi24,s were designed to take SAM and manpad hits and survive a landing.Taking an engine out still gives you one that can get you down.Not sure if they have redundancy system for the gearbox.

Self sealing fuel tanks are not THAT good.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I have to question if that was a Stinger? They usually don't leave that much of a smoke trail.

Fixed.

In fact I have to question the validity of the entire video.

Star for your post!! Looks really really fake.

I am wondering how deep the planning was for all the propaganda we're seeing. Some of it is so blatantly obvious. Am also seeing (listening actually) Fox News clips where there describing an atrocity carried out by the Russians ... and then they slip in that it was actually the Ukrainians who perpetrated the acts.

Too much propaganda eroding my confidence that The Ukraine is the victim in ANY of this. Now that the Ukrainian people have been issued small arms, have you noticed the increases in infrastructure damage (that the MSM were unable to produce at the outset of Putin's invasion)?

I know when I was in uniform, it was the building that was firing at me. And when that happened I made that damned building pay ... to the point it would never want to endanger my life ever again. Always better to get a FAC to handle that business if you could. There was no consideration of who else might have been in the building. Everyone in there was a collaborator until the shooting stopped. Same thing with vehicles. And I always though being attacked by a vehicle was the scarier of the two. Those things could look worse than a Swiss Cheese filled with blood sausage before they rolled to a stop.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Nope. Not Vlad. I live in Western Pennsylvania.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   

They didn't have the "digital training aids" in the 80's. We practiced with a training missile to get used to the sound of a lock and to learn the different aspects of the aircraft to get a lock. We did a lot of this on ship, tracking aircraft that were in the pattern. We fired a live missile at a RPV that had a magnesium heat source.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

i promise you this is legit.

i cant really tell you how for others safety and my paranoia but it is real

he thought it may have been a stinger(in reality he wouldnt know a stinger from a Grom) but this is fore sure 110% legit.

like someone said you would have to use a real helo and missile to fake this.

i have seen vehicles in the ME blow up and that's what it looks like

and it made major news net works.....i wonder who's watching us. i got sent this video from people related to it.

here is CNN's shot blurb with video in my OP in it

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

go you think it could intercept say a harpoon missile or even a cruise missile?

the ant ship missiles would be glowing in IR from going so fast so low.

and a cruise missile is just a skinny aircraft with a bomb, the engines in US missiles at least some of them used some odd fuel, i cant recall because i just saw a few getting serviced and it was like normal jet fuel A or B or gasoline.

thank you for answering my silly questions for answering

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:28 PM
link   

They are not silly questions. The problem is that I don't know. Where I was concerned, the CIWS and Sea Sparrow systems were designed for cruise missiles. Since they use radar their chances would be better. As I said before we couldn't get a good lock unless the aircraft was heading away from us. The only exception to that would be a reciprocating engine and helicopters. That would make it kind of useless for a cruise missile coming at you.

As far as a GROM missile goes, I don't know. The title said "Stinger" and that's why I called out the smoke trail. Unless we are using "Stinger" like Kleenex or Q-tip.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join