It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation spike at Chernobyl

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So browsing through a few sites and saw someone post this picture

Link to map

Not sure if that will pull things up correctly for everyone, but if you go to the site and click the pancake stack and change the map to radioactivity you can see the elevated levels. If you click the individual dots it'll give you the radiation over time. 3000 to 65000 nSv/h in the last day. Likely damage to the containment sections?

Would love to get others take on this. Would post a direct pic but not working on the phone.
edit on 2/24/22 by Hypntick because: edited link

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

The wind there is blowing from south to north right now; I think that might be concentrating the radioactivity in that direction.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 08:23 PM
link   

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — It was among the most worrying developments on an already shocking day, as Russia invaded Ukraine on Thursday: warfare at the Chernobyl nuclear plant, where radioactivity is still leaking from history’s worst nuclear disaster 36 years ago.

Russian forces took control over the site after a fierce battle with Ukrainian national guards protecting the decommissioned plant, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak told The Associated Press. The condition of the plant’s facilities, a confinement shelter and a repository for nuclear waste is unknown, he said.

An official familiar with current assessments said Russian shelling hit a radioactive waste repository at Chernobyl, and an increase in radiation levels was reported. The increase could not be immediately corroborated.

Associated Press

An "Official familiar" with.....

edit on 24-2-2022 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   

If Crimea is Ukrainian then Kosovo is Serbian..
edit on 24-2-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:00 PM
link   
When I heard Russian forces were in control of Chernobyl the first thing I thought of was that Chernobyl just became the worlds biggest dirty bomb. The reactor itself could be used to spread significant radioactivity. Worse yet, there are literally hundreds/thousands of tons of friable radioactive material there to use in any number of ways. If one was to take a good long look at this with particularly sinister eyes, there is an opportunity for some real long-term damage. Certainly the kind of thing where just the threat would get a great deal of attention, and most likely capitulation - which Putin will be happy to receive.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well... are you sure those arent the regular numbers?

65500 nSv/h is less than a CT Scan.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

Yesterday the same area was averaging 3,000, today its 65,500. Thats a huge spike and one hell of a coincidence...

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice
Well... are you sure those arent the regular numbers?

65500 nSv/h is less than a CT Scan.

There is nothing I found to compare it to on the site. So in those areas it may be regular numbers, there was a major accident there, even disturbing things like the earth with bombs would increase the numbers somewhat. I do not have much knowledge of what those levels mean in that area.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Since they have gained control what would be your thoughts of an airstrike on Chernobyl, too grim or just let it play out?

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

I starred your post
a CT scan would be about 10 mSv
The supposed radiation level here is 65.5 mSv/h

Or 6 CT scans per hour.

the numbers are usually Much lower according to the linked webpage the OP posted and according to the Article I posted from the AP.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Open the radiation map, then click on one of the round buttons with stats in it. It will show you the recent history.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchangelOger

I think the last thing we need to do is spread more radioactive material. In fact, I think that is what Russia is planning on doing. The plant itself could release a lot of radiation and tons of friable radioactive material could be used in a number of ways resulting in long term damage over a broad area.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
IMO, Putin wanted the exclusion zone in Russian control only because it's the shortest route between Belarus and Kiev.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Open the radiation map, then click on one of the round buttons with stats in it. It will show you the recent history.

Ok, I see what you mean, it seems that things went way up very recently, something must have happened there. It appears that the increase is in one place mostly, and the farther it gets away, the less the contamination so far.
edit on 24-2-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The radiation zones had been spiking from the looks of the data.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Its a strategic location for both reasons. It is a direct route and one not likely to have many defenders in it.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   
That is an extremely scary chart/site. I clicked around most the whole country and that's not good. I hope tomorrow if changes and it was some sort of mistake.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:23 PM
link   
According to an alternative news site, it was hit by a shell.
UPDATE: Russian Artillery Shell Hit Nuclear Waste Repository In Chernobyl, Increase In Radioactivity Reported...

Now, it has been reported that a Russian artillery shell hit a radioactive waste depository which has caused an increase in radioactivity.

“An official familiar with current assessments said Russian shelling hit a radioactive waste repository at Chernobyl, and an increase in radiation levels was reported. The increase could not be immediately corroborated.

edit on Thu Feb 24 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Are we sure this site is legit. It seems like independent fact checkers and that anyone can post on it or give any information they want without it being verified.

posted on Feb, 24 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I read the map wrong my bad, that location is right where chernobyl is
edit on 2/24/2022 by 5ofineed5aladder because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join