It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Return of the GOAT - Valentino Rossi is going GT Racing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Following Valentino's retirement from MotoGP at the end of last season many of us suspected he'd exchange 2 wheels for 4 but now that has been confirmed , Rossi has been testing with and now joined Team WRT and will be driving an AUDI R8 LMS in the GT World Challenge Europe for the ten race series.

Valentino Rossi: "I am delighted to join Team WRT for a full Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS programme. Everybody knows that I have always been a great car racing fan and that I have always been interested in racing on four wheels once my MotoGP career would come to an end. Now I am completely available to devote myself to a car racing programme at a high level and with the right professional approach. Team WRT is the perfect fit I was looking for and I am anxious to start this new adventure in the Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS with them."
www.motogp.com...

As a GT racer myself (virtual of course) I wholeheartedly welcome Valentino to the world of GT racing.

I’m very happy to announce that next year I will race for the team WRT in the Fanatec GT world challenge with a Audi R8 LMS.will be 10 races.I will race(among the others)in Imola,Misano and in the 24hours of Spa.
Thanks to Vincent Vosse and to Audi for this great opportunity
twitter.com...

The GOAT returns.

edit on 14-1-2022 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Valentino 2.0... I called it in the other thread!

I'm over the moon to see him burn rubber again!! I'm sure he'll be banging door handles and wing mirrors instead of knees and elbows... a racer-at-heart needs speed, healthy competition and trophies like people need food, water and air.

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Definitely the GOAT of MotoGP. Although not sure how that qualifies him to drive race cars. Totally different skill imho, but wish him luck.

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

He's been driving race cars for fun for years , no one is expecting he'll win the championship but it will be interesting to see how Valentino does on 4 wheels.

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   
On my radar now that he is on four wheels

I had in mind Valentino quit years ago though, but maybe that was just a rumor I heard. He for sure knows the tactics of racing and to transfer it into a car wouldn't be that hard.

edit on 14.1.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Corporate sponsorship is almost as addicting as speed and the smell of 110octane.

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So true, let the material fight begin

But it's too tightly regulated everywhere, no matter the league. I mean, someone comes up with a great idea to fine tune something, like when Mercedes had that moveable front spoiler or that hole to be covered with the left hand that changes aerodynamics on straights in F1.

Or finding a loophole in the rules that allows you to run a bowden wire from the wastegate spring pressure screw to a little dial on the dashboard

It's stuff like this that keeps it interesting and everyone alert

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

His team, VR46 did the Gulf 12 hour last weekend at Yas Marina. They finished second in their class.

I think Vale was going to drive but had to isolate due to contact with an "infected person".

I look forward to seeing him behind the wheel.

posted on Jan, 14 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

You obviously are an expert. All I know is that I love all type of motor sports and feel like a King as I roll down the road in my 1980 450SL. Had the top off today...60 degrees F in the high desert Rockies. In my younger days I loved my 356 Porsche almost as much.

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 04:07 AM
link   

A little taster from 2020:

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Oh I remember us having a conversation about your 450SL

Nah I am not an expert, just drove some 4h endurance races with mediocre results, own a shop and soon be official race track instructor and have been doing flag duty. (Green hell)

I am addicted to acceleration, that's where my drive comes from.

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes
Can you choose seat changes in Gulf 12h races? I ask because I am curious if it's a 6/6 or 4/4/4 ruling and if the teams can choose that freely.

Maybe you know, you sound like you are into that class.

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I am addicted to acceleration, that's where my drive comes from.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   

You are the second one hinting me on top fuel dragsters here! Sadly we do not have the crowd/ garage interest here and therefor no infrastructure and events. My drag times are over though. I really don't need it that brutal anymore like +1000HP dogged AWDs on half a mile gut punching, eye vibrating furious rides (parent). Sometimes though, but not as wild and regular than in my active days.

Back then no # given, today I rather instruct/train or build the tools for the job. Testing them gives me enough adrenaline already. 500HP is daily life but 1000HP+ is still something I respect. Hats off from these guys and gals with +2k HP.

Watched it though and the moment they turned on the spider-cycle, my ears lighted up. These cam angles holy #. It revs a lot higher RPM in idle I hear it, but the cams... maximum filling grade

I often wonder how they manage to not wash away the oil layer on the cylinder walls with so much fuel, but I guess it does not matter at all. If it dies, build a new one!

Now I want to write another tuner prn in the short story forum

edit on 15.1.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join