It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fugitive Arrested 20 Years After Escape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
In 1960, when Norman A. Porter, was robbing a clothing store he shot and killed a 22 year old clerk. He served 26 years in jail. While in jail, he managed to earn his high school diploma and began work towards a college degree. Then, in 1985, Porter was transferred to a minimum security prison where he escaped.

For nearly 20 years, Norman Porter, lived a "normal" life. Despite being a wanted fugitive he managed to attend church, work odd jobs and even do poetry readings at the local library and book store. The people around him had no idea of his past. One acquaintance said, "He had us all fooled," said C.J. Laity, who knew Porter from poetry readings. "I've known him for many, many years. Obviously, I didn't know him as well as I thought."

After 20 years of dodging the authorities, the two-time, convicted murderer was finally apprehended, in Chicago where he had built a new life for himself.

story.news.yahoo.com
"He had us all fooled," said C.J. Laity, who knew Porter from poetry readings. "I've known him for many, many years. Obviously, I didn't know him as well as I thought."

Porter's whereabouts have been a mystery to police since he walked away from a prerelease center in Walpole in December 1985. Ever since his escape, he has been at the top of the Massachusetts State Police's "Most Wanted" list.

In 1960, at age 21, Porter shot and killed John Pigott, a 22-year-old store clerk, during a robbery of a clothing store.

About a month ago, a tipster reportedly told Massachusetts police that Porter was living in the Chicago area. Investigators matched Porter's fingerprints to his 1993 arrest on theft charges in Chicago, in which he used the Jameson alias.

Porter acknowledged his real identity when police arrested him, saying, "I had a good 20 years," according to Detective Lt. Kevin Horton of the Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension unit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This man managed to live a good portion of his life outside of jail as a free man, despite being a wanted fugitive. He kept his nose clean and participated in community events and just blended in. He even managed to attend church and do poetry readings and no one ever considered him suspect. He must have gotten a little to comfortable with himself and finally goofed up. Its amazing how this man could go so long without getting caught by the authorities.

It just goes to show that you can run and but you can’t hide. It seems that no matter how long a criminal evades the authorities they always seem to catch up with them. I’m sure am glad the fugitive was caught that escaped in Atlanta otherwise you never know what might have happened or what he could have become.

Related News Links:
Yahoo News
Boston Herald
ABC News

[edit on 26-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

[edit on 26-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I wonder how much time he had left since he had already served 26 years. None of the articles seem to mention that and usually they don't put prisoners in a less secure facility unless their sentence is winding down.

While law enforcement gets to brag & some are probably getting their rocks off on this story. I see a guy who has served as much or more time than most murderers do these days, so I don't see it as a really big deal. Yeah, he has to finish his time & pay a bit extra for his escape, but other than that let the guy go - he's no danger to society & he's just going to run the health care bill up in whatever facility they put him in as he's 65 years old. Let him work and pay his own damn health care.

I'm also curious who the jealous scumball was that turned this guy in - the story's say a tipster called authorities. I'm betting it was a jealous ex-lover/close friend that had a falling out with him or someone who's never had a life of their own so they go around trying to screw others to bring themselves up.

Yeah - I'll turn in a drunk driver so they don't hurt themselves or anyone else on the highway, or for that matter anyone I think has hurt or is hurting people, but turning a guy who's no threat to anyone for a crime that happened almost 50 years ago that he paid quite alot for already that's just plain vindictive and sleezy. To the tipster - YOU SUCK!

Yeah the guy commited a murder & was an accomplice in another, but I keep thinking 26 years - damn I think he's pretty much paid his due. I guess he should have fled to a third world country & become a farmer.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I agree with outsider........Les' Miserables, anyone?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Despite the fact that he's old and he escaped nearly 20 years ago, he did commit another crime in 1993. Who's to say he hasn't committed more since then? Just because he's old doesn't mean he can't be a problem to society. I say good job to the law enforcement keeping the scum, no matter the age, off the streets.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
I wonder how much time he had left since he had already served 26 years. None of the articles seem to mention that and usually they don't put prisoners in a less secure facility unless their sentence is winding down.

While law enforcement gets to brag & some are probably getting their rocks off on this story. I see a guy who has served as much or more time than most murderers do these days, so I don't see it as a really big deal. Yeah, he has to finish his time & pay a bit extra for his escape, but other than that let the guy go - he's no danger to society & he's just going to run the health care bill up in whatever facility they put him in as he's 65 years old. Let him work and pay his own damn health care.

I'm also curious who the jealous scumball was that turned this guy in - the story's say a tipster called authorities. I'm betting it was a jealous ex-lover/close friend that had a falling out with him or someone who's never had a life of their own so they go around trying to screw others to bring themselves up.

Yeah - I'll turn in a drunk driver so they don't hurt themselves or anyone else on the highway, or for that matter anyone I think has hurt or is hurting people, but turning a guy who's no threat to anyone for a crime that happened almost 50 years ago that he paid quite alot for already that's just plain vindictive and sleezy. To the tipster - YOU SUCK!

Yeah the guy commited a murder & was an accomplice in another, but I keep thinking 26 years - damn I think he's pretty much paid his due. I guess he should have fled to a third world country & become a farmer.

Would you think 26 years is enough time, if it was your mother or brother who was MURDERED? What if it was your son or daughter?

Maybe the tipster knew someone in the murdered mans family. I dont care how much of a good life he's lead. Hes a murderer and I hope they make him spend the rest of his life in prison. He belongs there.

I guess you just have to know someone who was murdered to appreciate it. 26 years doesnt make the pain go away. Why should it make his crime go away? LOCK HIM UP !!!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I agree with outsider........Les' Miserables, anyone?

And you said it with less words - duh!. I wish I'd have thought of that first.

Anyone who hasn't seen that movie Les' Miserables should go out & rent it. (I prefer the 1998 version with Liam Neeson, Uma Thurman, Geoffrey Rush & Claire Danes) I afraid some folks here can't admit that sometimes the real wolves (evil ones) hide behind sheeps clothing.

I'm not saying it parallels anything in this case, but it will surely give you a different perspective. I know nothing of this guy or this case other than these articles - so I'm not defending this guys character or persona either - I'm just speaking in general with the information that has been provided without me digging into this guys past etc.

Originally posted by spliff4020

Would you think 26 years is enough time, if it was your mother or brother who was MURDERED? What if it was your son or daughter?

If it was someone close to me of course it would be different & I would surely be blinded by my own personal feelings and probably want to kill the perpetrator myself. In this country we don't allow family members to sentence or execute those who have committed crimes against their family members. Though if I had my way I'd vote to let the guy kill the perp who's daughter was kidnapped & murdered in Florida recently.

Luckily for me I'm not blinded by any events regarding the guy we're discussing here, as nobody I know was involved.

Maybe the tipster knew someone in the murdered mans family.

I did consider adding - unless it was a family member or someone close to the victim, but I didn't think it was necessary at the time and I don't believe it was someone close to the victim(s)- now that you brought it up that's clarified.

I dont care how much of a good life he's lead. Hes a murderer and I hope they make him spend the rest of his life in prison. He belongs there.

Well apparently you have never had any experience with our legal system and don't realize that there are many different types of murders & or murderers & they all treated differently.

While most of us agree that killing is wrong & what we classify as a murderer should be punished for that crime there's a difference between the guy that murders someone while he was driving drunk down the highway, the guy who murders someone while stealing money from them, the woman who murders her kids because she can't cope with life, the guy who son overdosed that shoots a dope dealer dead, the guy who's gun goes off at a party while showing off his weapon, or the guy who kidnaps the child for his selfish gratification & kills the child to cover up his crime. Yeah they all need to pay, after all they took a human life, but I don't put them all in the same category some need to pay more or longer than others and I don't think they should all have the same sentence. That's why Mr. Peterson is on death row and most murderers are not.

I know a guy that was with his girlfriend in a mall parking lot leaving when they were attacked by a group of men. He happened to carry a concealed weapon and one of the attackers was shot once & he died from a single bullet wound. The guy defending himself and his girlfriend from the bullies became a convicted murderer & served 10 years for second-degree murder. While I agree he should have been punished for killing another human being, but I don't put him in the same category of the person who kills a child or someone just to cover their crime. Yeah he made some bad decisions, but I don't see him as an evil man who should be put away forever.

I guess you just have to know someone who was murdered to appreciate it. 26 years doesn’t make the pain go away. Why should it make his crime go away? LOCK HIM UP !!!!!

Well, now it's up to the judge to decide not you or I. Maybe he does need to be put away forever, but with the information provided so far I'd have to say - not. Unless a close relation the tipster is still a bottom feeder in my opinion and as far as good & evil goes probably sits at or below the level of the guy that got arrested. The tipster didn't just happen to recognize the guy and call the cops - that took some very careful thinking & planning - it was premeditated.

There's a reason we have capitol punishment for premeditated murderers & not those who make poor decisions that end up killing someone. Premeditation implys negative thought (evil) for long enough period of time to be cognative of the results of your future planned actions to do some kind of damage to another person in some way - that takes a different kind of person and we all know that. Just because that thought does not put that person on the otherside of the law doesn't mean that's not an evil person. That's what I'm getting at when I imply the tipster sucks regardless if the guy deserved it or not.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Well apparently you have never had any experience with our legal system and don't realize that there are many different types of murders & or murderers & they all treated differently.

ROFLMAO--- Ive had quite a bit of trouble thru the years. Possesion, assault (he had it coming). But no, Ive never MURDERED ANYONE !!

Well, now it's up to the judge to decide not you or I. Maybe he does need to be put away forever, but with the information provided so far I'd have to say - not. Unless a close relation the tipster is still a bottom feeder in my opinion and as far as good & evil goes probably sits level at or below the guy that got arrested

umm ok..Did you read the article? You dont have to, I'll give ya the good parts..

In 1960, at age 21, Porter shot and killed John Pigott, a 22-year-old store clerk, during a robbery of a clothing store.

Poor guy..He's done enough time..Here's another fine example of what a great contribution to society he is..

While he was awaiting trial, Porter and another inmate escaped from jail. They overpowered the jail master, David S. Robinson, then shot and killed him with a smuggled gun.

Ya, hes a stand-up dude!

Porter, who wasn't accused of pulling the trigger in Robinson's killing, eventually pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in both cases and was sentenced to consecutive life terms. However, in 1975, then-Gov. Michael Dukakis commuted one of those sentences.

Sounds to me, like he was nowhere NEAR finishing his sentences. I would be happy to have him as my neighbor. Of course he was leading a good life. He knew what would happen if he got caught doing something, which apparently didnt stop him

About a month ago, a tipster reportedly told Massachusetts police that Porter was living in the Chicago area. Investigators matched Porter's fingerprints to his 1993 arrest on theft charges in Chicago, in which he used the Jameson alias.

Hmm theft...This guy is a total screw up and should be locked away for good. But hey- I'd feel like that if someone stole my surround sound, let alone killed someone close to me....

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

ROFLMAO--- Ive had quite a bit of trouble thru the years. Possesion, assault (he had it coming). But no, Ive never MURDERED ANYONE !!

I'm glad that if nothing else you got a big laugh out of my post. What would you be saying if some anti-pot smoking moderator assumed that since you've admitted being arrested for possesion and your using a drug slang as part of your username decided that he should track your IP address and find your true identity and give it to the local police so that they can bust you in your next spliff transaction? Maybe they believe pot smokers should all be in jail the rest of their lives to protect children & the rest of society.

I think if we had a mod like that I'd label him a POS, for going out of his way to go after you. Some would call him a great guy for doing our country a good service by ridding our streets of dopers.

Personally I don't care what you do as long as your not harming anyone else or operating a motor vehical while under the influence.

Poor guy..He's done enough time..Here's another fine example of what a great contribution to society he is..

The guy was probably using a class II Narcotic & he killed someone while robbing a store to get his next fix. While he may have been an idiot & a danger to society at that time I don't see anything that indicates he was an evil person and needs to be locked up forever. The guy is now 65 years old that was 44 years ago and he served 26 years behind bars for his crime.

While he was awaiting trial, Porter and another inmate escaped from jail. They overpowered the jail master, David S. Robinson, then shot and killed him with a smuggled gun.

Porter, who wasn't accused of pulling the trigger in Robinson's killing, eventually pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in both cases and was sentenced to consecutive life terms.

Ya, hes a stand-up dude!

I noticed how you seperated the paragraphs about the escape/shooting and tried to imply that he killed the guard when in fact the next paragraph indicates he didn't. There is a difference between the two and we are not given any details other than he's not the shooter.

While the media & government try to portray someone escaping or attempting to escape from prison as a bad criminal for doing so, in reality anyone who is held captive and didn't at least think of escaping would be a pretty pathetic human being in my book. And the law enfocement types go

However, in 1975, then-Gov. Michael Dukakis commuted one of those sentences.

Sounds to me, like he was nowhere NEAR finishing his sentences.

Hmm.. Last time I checked commuted means reduced or shortened sentence - he was originally sentenced to two consective (back to back) sentences for second degree murder, but nowhere does it state how long those sentences were & since one was commuted he's already served 26 years for one second degree murder charge.

Well if he's out burglarizing then let the system convict & sentence him for it. You can't convict someone based on something they did in the past.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

What would you be saying if some anti-pot smoking moderator assumed that since you've admitted being arrested for possesion and your using a drug slang as part of your username decided that he should track your IP address and find your true identity and give it to the local police so that they can bust you in your next spliff transaction? Maybe they believe pot smokers should all be in jail the rest of their lives to protect children & the rest of society.

Well, first of all they would have a hard time making that happen, but none the less..If they did, i would only posses a gram or so. I could swallow it before I let them in. Whatever, doesnt matter. Its a misdeanor. I would serve no jail time. In the event that I did, I would finish my time. I wouldnt decide for myself that I had been sufficently punished and leave.

Personally I don't care what you do as long as your not harming anyone else or operating a motor vehical while under the influence.

Same here. So does most of society. However, when you murder someone and partake in another murder while escaping from prison, the issue stops being rehabilitation and turns to punishment. There are laws in society that have to be followed. Just the mere fact that escaped proves he wasnt rehabed in any way. He doesnt follow the rules. He believes that he is above the rules and can do as he wants.

The guy was probably using a class II Narcotic & he killed someone while robbing a store to get his next fix. While he may have been an idiot & a danger to society at that time I don't see anything that indicates he was an evil person and needs to be locked up forever. The guy is now 65 years old that was 44 years ago and he served 26 years behind bars for his crime.

speculation at best. And its nowhere near a valid excuse for what he did. Do the crime, serve the time. The thing that makes him evil is that he participated in another murder so he could gain his freedom. What about that guard? Somewhere out there is a devastated family whos son, father or brother is dead. No more Christmas. No more birthdays. Nothing. And why? Because this jag-off thought he was ready to go and NO ONE was going to stop him.

Even if he did the first MURDER under the influence, which nowhere does it say that, the fact that he was that self-centered on the second does make him evil. Again, just think of it as your dad or brother that he killed (helped) to escape. One day they went to work, then, they never came home. He deserves to die. Life w/o parole will do. He had 20 years to enjoy. Thats more than that guard will ever get.

I noticed how you seperated the paragraphs about the escape/shooting and tried to imply that he killed the guard when in fact the next paragraph indicates he didn't. There is a difference between the two and we are not given any details other than he's not the shooter.

Purely coincidental. But on a side note. Muder, take place in a murder..its all the same to me. "Hey-- I didnt rape that kid!! I was in the same room, sure..I did nothing to stop it, but I didnt rape her !!!...BS...GUILTY !!

While the media & government try to portray someone escaping or attempting to escape from prison as a bad criminal for doing so, in reality anyone who is held captive and didn't at least think of escaping would be a pretty pathetic human being in my book.

Well sure they can think about it all they want. Hell, they can draw little imaginary plans if they want. But what they can't do is ESCAPE !! Its pathetic to me that he wasn't man enough to do his time. He's a murdering coward.

Hmm.. Last time I checked commuted means reduced or shortened sentence - he was originally sentenced to two consective (back to back) sentences for second degree murder, but nowhere does it state how long those sentences were & since one was commuted he's already served 26 years for one second degree murder charge.

Hmm.. Last time I checked Michael Dukakis also said in the presidential debate that he would not be in favor of the death penalty even in the case of someone raping and killing his wife. He's another spineless wimp that destroyed the democrats. And lets see..he commuted one life sentence, but left another. To me, Life means Life...

And lets just say that this moron was ready to get out. Lets say he was in a half-way house and ready to cruise out on his own in very little time. This guy just got away with murder and will have his freedom. If it was me, I would feel like the luckiest guy alive and would not do a thing to screw it up. The fact that this guy was stupid enough to screw that up tells me he deserves nothing. He should have to go back and do his full time. Society will loose nothing with out this guy.

You can't convict someone based on something they did in the past.

Umm yes, thats actually exactly what you do. You cant convict them based on what they will do in the future..unless its "Minority Report"..There is a thing called statute of limitations, yes, but it doesnt apply to murder cases.

My conclusion: This guy is a douche. He deserves another 20 anally agonizing, disease filled years, where he will hopefully die and go to hell. I feel for the victims families. Including the ones he burglarized. Criminals suck. Those who kill during the crime, suck even worse. Those who arogancy allows them to set themselves free, no matter the consequence are the lowest form of lie and should be hung in the middle of the prison as a deterrent to the rest of the maggots in there.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Well, first of all they would have a hard time making that happen, but none the less..If they did, i would only posses a gram or so. I could swallow it before I let them in. Whatever, doesnt matter.

There are laws in society that have to be followed. Just the mere fact that escaped proves he wasnt rehabed in any way. He doesnt follow the rules. He believes that he is above the rules and can do as he wants.

It seems you believe the same thing. Here you were convicted of possession, but you freely admit that if they came to your door today you might have a gram or two. It seems you haven't been rehabilitated either and your don't follow the rules & you believe that your above the rules and can do what you want.

It sounds to me like your a bit of a hippocrate.

What about that guard? Somewhere out there is a devastated family whos son, father or brother is dead.

He knew the risk when he took the job just like our soldiers in Iraq knew the risk when they signed up or the policeman on the street knew when he took the job. I would kill or risk being killed for freedom if that's s the only choice I had to be free, but again I don't know the full story.

"Hey-- I didnt rape that kid!! I was in the same room, sure..I did nothing to stop it, but I didnt rape her !!!...BS...GUILTY !!
He didn't watch a kid being raped - Let's not try to demonize the guy for a crime he didn't do. All we know is a guy that escaped with him killed a prison guard during the escape. It's not like "Prison & Jaill Guards" are the cream of the crop of our society - in fact for their level of skills or education they probably get paid more then any person in our society with equal skills or aptitude (lack thereof). They are the bottom rung on the ladder in our judicial system.

But what they can't do is ESCAPE !! Its pathetic to me that he wasn't man enough to do his time. He's a murdering coward.

From my perspective it's the coward that rots in jail the rest of his life feeling sorry for himself and a real man that escapes the bonds of his captures - unless of course his time is so small that he just needs to bide his time. Then I'd agree with you that escape is pure stupidity & killing someone over it is even dumber.

BTW - I'm not here to defend the guy or his actions as I'm sure he's probably a sleezeball, but my original intent was that the person labeled tipster is a scumbag as well and 26 years is a harsh/long enough penalty for the crimes that I've read that he commited - in my opinion of course. Happy Easter & don't smoke to much spliff & I'll keep my cognac to a minimum.

new topics

top topics

join