It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting new thought about time travel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Recently I have read up on the paradox's of time travel, however they all contain paradoxs to do with travelling back in time, not forward...This started me thinking !, If one was to travel forward in time, which timeline would it follow ? Would it follow one, as if you existed all the way through that time line ? Or would it exist as if you had mearly vanished from the face of the world ?

Personnally I would have to say that it would be the second option but who knows. Would really appreciate your feedback

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by racos

Recently I have read up on the paradox's of time travel, however they all contain paradoxs to do with travelling back in time, not forward...This started me thinking !, If one was to travel forward in time, which timeline would it follow ? Would it follow one, as if you existed all the way through that time line ? Or would it exist as if you had mearly vanished from the face of the world ?

Personnally I would have to say that it would be the second option but who knows. Would really appreciate your feedback

IF there really is only one timeline and there are no parallel universes, then there are paradoxes in backwards time travel. Forwards time travel would probably be indeed as if you disappears from the universe and then reappeared later on. On the other hand IF there are multiple timelines and parallel universes, there are no paradoxes if you go into other timelines not of your own, backwards in time. Going forward in your own time lines would result in the same thing as if there were only ONE time line in total, but if you go into another timeline not your own, it would be as if you have left your timeline forever and appearing in the future of another timeline without you ever existing before in the timeline you have just entered.

I hope this makes some sense.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
i would say the second option too, it would be a future of the here and now you left that had you missing and not interacting and causeing effects on anything, so when you returned to original leaveing point the time line would chnage as it would include you back in the timeline of cause and effect.

as for alternate universe thats would not really be time travel but inter dimensional travel as you would be crossing into an alternate dimension or universe so it is not time travel as those dimensions o universe might follow ours but be slighty off in the time running there from here so it could be days, years or centurys or more off from here.

i think time travel would be locked to our universe if we transverse time and space even as it would be our true universe and not another alternate parrelel dimension which wouldnt count.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by blobby]

Odd

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
traveling forward in time would be simple enough. all one would have to do would be to secure oneself in a spacecraft going near-light speed for a while, then return home... thanks to the concept of time dilation demonstrated by einstein's theory of relativity, you will age considerably more slowly than people on earth, allowing you to return to a world dozens of years in the future while only having aged a few months yourself.

of course, you wouldn't ever be able to return to the past, unless we divulge the secrets of time travel while you're out there hurtling around... and you'd need a spacecraft far more advanced than anything we have now... but it would work.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
it involves exiting from your current timeline/sequence and merging/joining some other timeline/sequence.

I think your time experience must remain continuous as well as each timeline/Universe you encounter.

I think what some experience as time travel [titor?] is changing to an advanced time shift position Universe and travelling back is changing to a reduced time shift position Universe.
Which is to say he has essentially traveled laterally and not forward and back at all. This would make his time experience consistent as well as each Universes time experience consistent.

Titor said there were infinite Universes. But I don't think he [the people who informed him] took into account that Universes may be multidimensionally infinite [infinity^n] and infinite sets of Universes may be time shifted from one another.

Seems to me the more you Universe jump the further you get from where you started. I suspect that as you get further and further from point of origination the stranger the physics and Universes would seem to get.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It depends. If you go to the future and stay there, then fine, it'd be as if you dissappeared. If you went to the future, stayed for a vacation, then came back, then things get complicated. You'd be able to meet yourself in the future, when you aren't there ("pair of docks").

Thus far, I believe it's been proved than you can go forward in time, mathematically anyway. Just never back. As for the near-speed of light thing, well, yeah, but it's just not worth it.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Isn't going forward in time sort of speculative?

Like stabbing around in the dark.

Couldn't you end up going into some probability/possibility that never ends up occuring? Would you just disapate?

The odds of hitting the actual sequence of events from the [probably] infinite set of possibilities is essentially zero i would think.

And if you did hit exactly the actual future how can your life be happening in a place that doesn't exist yet?

Your time experience would be discontinuous with the Universe(s)'s time stream/sequence.

Isn't the future a conceptual thing?

We assume from our experience there is some extension of time in that direction, but it could be that time at some point ceases.

edit: new thought

maybe time is the stacking of little bits of rationality on top of one another in the ocean of the irrational.

In the Universe of numbers irrationals are 2^infinity times the rational numbers.

There is so little rationality compared to the infinite gulfs of irrationality that stacking higher stacks of bits of rationality with the base constantly being eaten away by the irrational ocean that it is virtually impossible to do.

If true, implies that many rational elements are reused over and over again.

just my wild hair thought.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by slank]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
this is going to get confuseing

right now if the future exisits and we are in the present, the past did exist, so people in future travel to our present which is past to them and present for us and they are future, that must mean all of time exists at once at same time, otherwise people from future would not be able to travel back to past which would be our present, and their past?

so if future dont exist time travel is improbable???

or is all time just present time for the people which means it all exists in one time slightly of phase from each other so now the past, present an future all exist right now and always will exist and will repeat itself on itself? as it never fades away, now if this is sort of correct in some way we know our past but not the future but the future present knows the past more than we do could we possible make contact with future as our technology advances??

well what makes time progress too as we are constantly advanceing forwards so too must it advance backwards.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Blobby, one of the best arguments against time travel is that if it existed, we'd have tourists already. Which, you know, we don't. Except for JTitor, but... yeah

Slank: nice ideas. I'll be pondering them, although the idea of 'stacking rationality' is hard to substantiate in my mind.

pao

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
maybe thats where all those missing people are at.

pao

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Blobby, one of the best arguments against time travel is that if it existed, we'd have tourists already. Which, you know, we don't.

what if we are in the timeline that never fully developed time travel???

is that even possible or what

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There can not be more than 1 infinity, for one would limit the other. 2^infinity is impossible. The combinations, should they exist, would already be encompassed within infinity.

As I've said before, if you believe in different time-lines or world-lines then you must also believe that the universe is storing complete sets of information about every action occuring within it. This is quite an incredible claim that appears to have no merit.

There seems to be two options for traveling forwards in time. Either you speed the entire universe up or slow yourself down. Speeding up the entire universe should be impossible unless you can find the control room
Slowing yourself down should be easy if you can master the art of suspended animation. Sure, traveling at great speeds could be another method, but it should be alot easier to just freeze yourself for a few hundred years, then wake up. It's not important what speed the universe is traveling at, just as long as you're not aware of it.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Here ya go.....I was thinking the smae thing last week so I googled it up and found this:

The site has some past parodox stuff but read on and it has some stuff about future paradox

Time travel

The author breaks it barney style so people like me can understand

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the link....Its nice to see other people have thought about this idea aswell

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Say you went back in time(yes, this has very little to do with the thread) and you completed your objective. Now in the future you had no reason to go to the past so you would have never needed to go. But then yoou would have not had completed your objective and would have had to go to the past. Then you....well you see where this is going. You would be stuck in an never ending cycle

If the future is pre detirmined wouldn't this cycle occur there to.
Just something to ponder when you have nothing better to do.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Okay, my brain already hurts but here's a go. Lets say you jump in your time machine and travel to the future with every intent of going back. The timeline you would be on 'assumes' your return (so as not to get too complicated) the instant you left (that is when you go back you set the return time for the instant you left so that nobody knows you were gone). So the future you travel to would be along the timeline that had you in it.

Now, lets say you decide to stay because the future is so awesome. THen what happens? Does the entire world around you alter due to the change in the timeline? What if when it does alter all around you, you decide the future isn't so awesome anymore and decide to go back to the instant you left? Then at that instant does the entire future alter around you back to the original future you visited (that is the awesome future you were in before you decided to stay)?

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that if the "future" you travel to "assumes" that everything continued on the timeline you left from, than that "future" must also "assume" that events will continue to continue and you will later decide to get back in your time machine and go back to the instant you left.

the past has a past
the present is the future of the past
the present is the past of the future
the future has a future

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No, in effect the future already "knows" you don't intend to return ontime, etc. Because everthing is already predetirmined and inevitable you don't have to worry abkout that. Unforrtunatly your screwed according to my previous predictions about getting stuck in a cycle.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Mags (can I call ya mags?)

I think the issue might not occur, depending on how time was set up, but, even if it did, consider this:

You fix you problem and then in the present, you don't need to return and thus don't. If that means the problem exists, then you'd go back, but you'd keep going in the future anyway while you also fix the problem.

I think it would pan out like this:

You fix you problem and then in the present, you don't need to return and thus don't.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So you are saying that it would be more of an unbreakable loop ? But isn't that for time travel backwards, as I remember it is one of the paradox's ?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Has anyone heard of the quantum theory called time mining? In quantum theory there are something like 29 higher dimensional planes (maybe more) an analogy: time is a fast flowing river, we can not swim back up the river the current is too strong and we could never ever generate enogh force to do it, the simple answer is to get to the river bank and walk back up the river re entering at a chosen point, the river bank being a higher dimensional plane (the lowest dimensional plane being a sea of infinate energy on which all reality is built - zero point energy). I digress....time mining; the theory goes if we one day had the technology to put one tone of oil/coal or whatever fuel we wanted (even raw electricity in the form of a large capacitor) into a higher plain and have it re enter our space time at a previouse point in time we could 'mine time', confused? Let me explain, quantum theory dictates that we exist in parallel universes, a new universe branching off each time a difference occurs (the stuff universes are built from - zero point energy - is infinate there for will never run out) so when we send back our fuel cell the moment it arrives a new universe or 'time line' is created, the quantum 'anti pardox laws' say that the matter/energy from the future is now surplus to requirements as the future from which it came no longer exists, in essence it appears out of thin air. A note is made for the future so when the time comes to send the exact same piece of cargo back in time they miss the first load, the cycle is started again, in our reality only one load has been sent back from the future but an infinate amount can be recieved. The matter/energy isnt made from nothing, all matter comes from the infinate vacuum or 'zero point' energy that all things are made from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join