It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vultures Eating Living Animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

“The black vultures, now that's a very, very aggressive bird,” Hardin said. “They’re basically waiting for the cows and calves to die or trying to kill them.”

Black vultures survive, like most vultures, by eating carrion, or the remains of dead animals. That can serve as an integral part of the ecosystem: eating diseased remains that could carry sickness and spread to other animals. But unlike Indiana’s turkey vultures, black vultures also go for living animals: calves, piglets, lambs and other small livestock are their preferred targets.

www.arkansasonline.com...

"I don't want to be graphic, but black vultures have a definite method of operation in how they attack," Horn said. "There's no mistaking it."

Black vultures kill an unknown number of cattle in Arkansas each year, and the attacks have grown from a rare occurrence into a frequent one, according to cattle owners, groups representing them and regulators.

I've heard for years that vultures occasionally kill and eat live prey, but apparently its becoming more frequent.
(yuk)

is something changing? global warming? or just more publicity?

anyone with local knowledge of?

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Indiana; Arkansas; and Kentucky.

spectrumnews1.com...

Black vultures are a severe problem for livestock owners in Kentucky.

The predatory birds will devour living newborn calves, full-grown ewes and lambs by pecking them to death—first the eyes, then the tongue, then every last shred of flesh.

Aside from the danger they pose, livestock producers can not eliminate the birds – even though they are not near extinction and are growing in population – because they are fully protected under the International Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Kentucky started a pilot program in 2015 that allowed livestock owners to dispose of a set, small number of black vultures to protect their animals by obtaining a federal permit.

farmers can't watch their animals 24/7
hopefully they can relax the shooting regs and allow the good guys to protect their investment.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

What is yuck about it? Most animals eat live prey.

Us humans like to cook but how is that really any different from killing prey to eat?

Nature is one cruel mofo

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I say more cameras. Everybody has one now and the tourists video this then the scientists suddenly announce it. I expect a photo of a baby pidgin soon.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

This could have different other reasons like a bigger competition from vultures that only eat the dead, forcing the black vultures, that already have exposed this behavior naturally, to focus on live prey.

But since we are on a conspiracy website, I will offer you a different and more entertaining option:

It's 2048. Ten years after a failed fusion experiment by the government in their natural habit. The resulting physical reaction was not expected as a new type of field saturated the region around it for tens of miles.

Black vultures have grown in size tremendously. Because their eating habit had changed to live prey, this allowed them a more nutritious diet while a natural gene mutation enabled the black vultures to exploit this, ultimately growing in size and strength.

They now act in packs and because of their better nutrition and the exotic field exposure, have developed a high intelligence. As the terrorized human population has retreated from that area, military still could not figure out how the kill those fierce beasts, as they encroach uppon humanity and widen their territory day by day.
edit on 20.8.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: typos

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

Must be AGW. didn't Algore predict this?

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Nothing new,just more of them.Luved in the country all my life except 4 years active duty.This has always happened.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Black vultures are just attacking American livestock that American predators won't do.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Because their eating habit had changed to live prey, this allowed them a more nutritious diet

😀

Thanks Duck, I needed a laugh.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Must be AGW. didn't Algore predict this?

Leave him alone, he's super serial.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Not for this

When I hear I brighten up someones day, that brightens up mine too

It's a win-win situation!

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
that aint nothin'........uk gulls are ruthless....

www.youtube.com...

originally posted by: ElGoobero
www.usatoday.com...

“The black vultures, now that's a very, very aggressive bird,” Hardin said. “They’re basically waiting for the cows and calves to die or trying to kill them.”

Black vultures survive, like most vultures, by eating carrion, or the remains of dead animals. That can serve as an integral part of the ecosystem: eating diseased remains that could carry sickness and spread to other animals. But unlike Indiana’s turkey vultures, black vultures also go for living animals: calves, piglets, lambs and other small livestock are their preferred targets.

www.arkansasonline.com...

"I don't want to be graphic, but black vultures have a definite method of operation in how they attack," Horn said. "There's no mistaking it."

Black vultures kill an unknown number of cattle in Arkansas each year, and the attacks have grown from a rare occurrence into a frequent one, according to cattle owners, groups representing them and regulators.

I've heard for years that vultures occasionally kill and eat live prey, but apparently its becoming more frequent.
(yuk)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True, that.

If you allow your livestock to become dumbed-down, and defenseless, because maybe it is easier to manage dumbed-down and more defenseless animals, at some point this livestock becomes vulnerable even to usually-non-predatory animals.

Seems like a normal progression of life to me....

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
True, that.

If you allow your livestock to become dumbed-down, and defenseless, because maybe it is easier to manage dumbed-down and more defenseless animals, at some point this livestock becomes vulnerable even to usually-non-predatory animals.

Seems like a normal progression of life to me....

Sounds just like most of the world's human population.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I think as we come toward the end of this world everything has grown more corrupt. Much of it is man messing with mixing genes from plant animal and himan. Crisper they say is so inexpensive high school kids are experimenting with life in the garages!

There are now many instances showing deer a grazing animal killing and eating meat.
They used to say this did not happen and now it is being presented as normal.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Akaspeedy

that aint nothin'........uk gulls are ruthless....

Gulls are predictors and scavengers that is their natural way the vulture it is not natural to eat live animals.
Also many animals have started scavenging that never did before.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's the return of the teratorns!

Teratornis merriami had a wingspan of around 3.5 to 3.8 m (11 to 12 ft) and a wing area of 17.5 square meters, standing an estimated 75 cm (30 in) tall. It was somewhat larger than the extant Andean condor and weighing about 15 kg (33 lb), was nearly double the weight of an average Californian condor.

T. merriami generally lived in a manner similar to condors, although its larger bill suggests that it was a more active predator. Prey up to the size of a small rabbit would probably have been swallowed more or less whole, while carrion would have been fed on in a manner similar to that of condors or vultures.

Wiki Article

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Sheesh!

Don't feel so bad about eating bambi now.

As far as the vultures go, I wonder if there is some type of high pitched whistle or sound that could be played, to scare them away?

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
if they were more nimble, im sure they would enjoy more live animal food.......most animals seem to prefer the tasty flesh of a scared running for their life piece of meat.....nice and juicy

a reply to: SeaWorthy

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:59 PM
link   
N-Sync maybe...??

a reply to: chiefsmom

<<   2 >>

join