It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gangsters and Politics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Buried deep in another thread a poster made reference to a possible correlation between the glamorization of gangsters and how people vote. This struck me as very interesting, and possibly even actionable topic worthy of discussion. The scenario goes like this...

The poster pointed out that in the City of Philadelphia there is a restaurant guide which will point you to a restaurant known to be frequented by criminals and gangsters, and he pointed out how sick this is, that people would willingly want to associate with known criminals. He speculated that there may be a correlation between this mindset and peoples voting tendencies.

In other words (mine now), do people consciously elect criminals because there's some identity 'coolness' factor to it? The bottom line is, there is nothing 'cool' about being a criminal, and there's nothing 'cool' about associating with criminals.

One of the biggest problems we have in this country is many politicians are corrupt criminals, yet we seem to keep electing these same criminals to office over and over, sometimes for entire generations. Seems like there ought to be a way to change society's view of criminals from being 'cool' to being, well, just the corrupt scumbag 'criminals' they are.

What do you think?

And, how would we go about a in-depth study of such a topic?

edit on 7/29/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: deleted link

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Everyone in the New York City area knows these places...Rao's in East Harlem, Bamonte's in Brooklyn, Don Peppe in Ozone Park, Belmont Tavern in Newark, etc.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

In my opinion, it's easy to like a criminal if you favor their criminality. Plus these criminals hate the same people their supporters do. That's why there's not a fuss over election fraud, but instead over questioning it. The DNC and RINO's in Washington are the criminal organization and their organizations like bLM are their bulldogs. They used to use the KKK but had to toss them once they started becoming unpopular.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Everyone in the New York City area knows these places...Rao's in East Harlem, Bamonte's in Brooklyn, Don Peppe in Ozone Park, Belmont Tavern in Newark, etc.

Are there any other places you frequent?

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I would hope that anyone who knows that/those area(s) isn't in need of a restaurant guide.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Are there any other places you frequent?

I've been to Rao's a couple times, you really need to know someone to get a reservation since they don't take any by phone and the Belmont Tavern is pretty close to where I live and has good food.

Both places are old school and worth visiting for the cuisine. You probably wouldn't know who the mobsters were even if they were there unless you're some sort of Mafia geek.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
I would hope that anyone who knows that/those area(s) isn't in need of a restaurant guide.

Good point. The pluses are they all actually have good food and can stand on their own merits and not of being a mob hangout.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Goes back further than that.

Violence = Power.

Pretend to be friends with the most violent person and you're less likely to be the target of his violence.

There's an element of fear there.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I grew up in Belleville / Bloomfield, and my wife is from North Newark (8th street about 5 houses from the Belleville border).
Technically Belmont Tavern is in Belleville. There's that little section where all 3 towns converge.

Back to the OP. Just look at Marion Barry, the ex-crack mayor of DC. Voted into office AFTER his prison sentence.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
One of the biggest problems we have in this country is many politicians are corrupt criminals, yet we seem to keep electing these same criminals to office over and over, sometimes for entire generations. Seems like there ought to be a way to change society's view of criminals from being 'cool' to being, well, just the corrupt scumbag 'criminals' they are.

What do you think?

And, how would we go about a in-depth study of such a topic?

Since we're talking about criminals, they probably don't play elections fairly.

Which means that you possibly don't keep electing them, but they win through subterfuge (In some cases, at least).

Most of the "Gangsters" that the public think are "cool" are the ones that are perceived as "men of the people", helping their own neighborhoods, etc. like Robin Hood. This translates well to politics.

Mind you, the people that think the guy is "cool" don't see the atrocities committed or the way their money was made.

How could we do an in-depth study? Tough one.

We'd have to search for all politically related bribery, corruption, etc. charges, then, find a link to organized crime. Polling people probably wouldn't work, as, who would admit they voted for someone just because they thought he was "cool"?

Yea tough one.

Here's a related list:

10 Instances Where Gangsters and Politicians Worked Together.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Yeah, I said Newark for convenience, I don't think anyone outside of the area would know the other towns.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

edit on 29-7-2021 by Nunyabizisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Belmont Tavern is in Belleville, but so close to Newark so people think it's in Newark. I heard they have a very good chicken.

Can you recommend anything from the menu ?
edit on 29-7-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

a reply to: peter_kandra

Yeah, I said Newark for convenience, I don't think anyone outside of the area would know the other towns.

Sounds like you were being coy.

You should have specified.

edit on 7/29/2021 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

I grew up in Belleville / Bloomfield, and my wife is from North Newark (8th street about 5 houses from the Belleville border).
Technically Belmont Tavern is in Belleville. There's that little section where all 3 towns converge.

Back to the OP. Just look at Marion Barry, the ex-crack mayor of DC. Voted into office AFTER his prison sentence.

Remember that Pathmark few blocks away with that delicious fried chicken. Better than Popeye's. That area still have some Italian predominance.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Can you recommend anything from the menu ?

The Chicken Savoy is probably their best dish, I also like the pork chops with hot peppers.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
Sounds like you were being coy.

Was I?

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

edit on 7/29/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: peter_kandra

Remember that Pathmark few blocks away with that delicious fried chicken. Better than Popeye's. That area still have some Italian predominance.

That was the supermarket my in-laws went to (except for the weekly trip to Carrado's up in Clifton.
My father in law used to go to Caffe Intermezzo on Bloomfield Ave every night after dinner (no doubt to get away from my mother in law), and I got married at St. Francis on Bloomfield Ave. The whole area was really nice back then (early to late 80's). After that it started to go downhill and eventually my in-laws moved down to Lakewood.

posted on Jul, 29 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Any nice places in Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join