It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Gold Atoms Collide at 99.95% of Light Speed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Hiya All.

Who knows what the nature of the universe was before the Big Bang (If you Belive in the Big Bang that is). We can only extrapolate and trace back the origins of everything through observation of how things are today.

The problem we have is that the very nature of our universe in it's present state may not have been the same throughout its history.

of course we can attempt to reproduce the big bang it's self.... though I wouldn't advice a success lol ;p

The Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven can accelerate 2 atoms of gold to 99.95% of Light Speed and then smash them together....

Mini Big Bang Created, Puzzling Results Too Explosive

This has spectacular results with all kinds of particles being released in a ball of super hot plasma that is so hot and expansive it could be a mini big bang.

Two Gold Atoms Collide at 99.95% of Light Speed

There is a theory that states that where there is a negative or lack of energy that the conditions are right within a 10 dimensional space to leak energy... this effect is a bit like an elastic band but in perpetual Fluid motion.... And it's motion that I attribute time too but that's a different thread lol

Exotic black holes spawn new universal law

Anyway...

Hope that is food for Thought

NeoN HaZe

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This has already been discussed here although I am having a hard time finding the link.

EDIT: Link

Lukefj.

Interesting stuff happening at the particle collider sites around the world. most notably CERN adn RHIC.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Lukefj]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lukefj
This has already been discussed here although I am having a hard time finding the link.

EDIT: Link

Lukefj.

Interesting stuff happening at the particle collider sites around the world. most notably CERN adn RHIC.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Lukefj]

Can't wait for the large hadron collider to make it online in 2007
we will have sooo much data to go through it will take us years!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Just exactly how do you get enough energy to make something travel at 99.95% the speed of light, that's what I've never understood. Good old time travelling gold atoms.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lyriox
Just exactly how do you get enough energy to make something travel at 99.95% the speed of light, that's what I've never understood. Good old time travelling gold atoms.

Huh
That's as fast as they are gonna get them there particles, only way they would be "time travelling" particles is if they surpassed the speed of light which as we all know to be impossible with our current knowledge.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Huh
That's as fast as they are gonna get them there particles, only way they would be "time travelling" particles is if they surpassed the speed of light which as we all know to be impossible with our current knowledge.

As far as I understand, the closer you are to the speed of light, the slower time goes for you, to account for the speed of light remaining constant. If you travel at 50% the speed of light, then you age half as fast. People who go into Earth's orbit for long periods of time come back having travelled into the future, but its just at a really small scale, something like 0.1 seconds, because they're nowhere near the speed of light. You don't need to surpass the speed of light in order to travel forward through time. If that were true when we wouldn't be moving into the future right now, because we're travelling below light speed.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
OH yeah that I forgot about that, but with that definition everything that is not standing completely still is a time traveller.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

OH yeah that I forgot about that, but with that definition everything that is not standing completely still is a time traveller.

...yeah? lol, that's the way it is. You can get relativistic zero velocity, but I don't see how you could get to an absolute stop.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lyriox

...yeah? lol, that's the way it is. You can get relativistic zero velocity, but I don't see how you could get to an absolute stop.

hehe I got my figures wrong.....

it's 99.995% Light speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heheh

Anyway.... in answer to your question... they use a giant electro magnet to accelerate the particles around in a vacuum in a giant circle until they have the speed they require....

In addition they sometimes can use a laser to 'FLOAT' sub atomics in and then use that to accelerate.

The question of time travel is interesting... there would be significant Time Dilation on anything travelling at 99.995% of light speed....

But as the Atoms of Gold are relatively heavy in terms of mass the closer you get to accelerating them to light speed the heavier they get.... Now here is the interesting Point....

Have you ever asked yourself why you get heavier the more you are accelerated through space??

The answer could be in string theory where there are multiple dimensions and that Gravity 'leaks' through these dimensions and so the faster to the speed of light you go the more of this gravity you pick up through the other dimensions....

I wonder if you could travel beyond light speed you would just simply disappear into another reality another dimension all together....

the LHC at CERN will be able to accelerate to 99.999% light speed..... That should be enough energy to find all principle particles and all their negative counter parts....

So The understanding of a black hole may change slightly in that the description of a hole may actually be correct as it would be seen as a point where an object is travelling faster than light and so has created a kind of combined mass with all the other dimensions....

hehehe Am I making any sense??

NeoN... HaZe....

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I may have just come up with an amateur answer to the question of acceleration and mass.

Force = mass x accleration

In order to accelerate an object you need to apply a force. But the same force applied will not ever-increase accleration, and so you need a bigger force, but does this increased force give the same amount of acceleration?

Mass = force / acceleration, therefore, if the force is increasing, but the acceleration isn't increasing in equal amounts, then the mass would be increased as a result.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
on the idea of 'time travelling gold', while it sounds fun and novel is most likely just that - novel. gold has no 'perspective' or consciousness, so the effects of relativity dont really matter. just like if you sped up a radioactive particle this fast, it would not decay away in mere seconds because it has nothing to be relative to, it makes no observation.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
on the idea of 'time travelling gold', while it sounds fun and novel is most likely just that - novel. gold has no 'perspective' or consciousness, so the effects of relativity dont really matter. just like if you sped up a radioactive particle this fast, it would not decay away in mere seconds because it has nothing to be relative to, it makes no observation.

That's a very good point about the gold’s perspective.... it doesn't have one as it can't know anything anyway

However if they really managed to break the speed of light in an accelerator (Which I think they can't) you will actually break the law of physics and cause the law of causality to break down -- Cause and effect...

Though if it were possible then results would be flooding in on the screens of the collider even before you switched it on

Would be interesting to see if that was the case but also in the quantum scenes you would have to be there to record the results or they would change do to the uncertainty principle

Anyway..... Some say that all you need to do is hold 2 black holes together and you could create an energy field that could shield you from time itself... I.E.... Titor

NeoN HaZe...

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Neon Haze]

top topics

join