It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is this all about

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 03:29 AM
link   
seriously
madness leads to confusion

why work now in california

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

This guaranteed income is for foster kids who are exiting foster care. It's not for everyone. These kids are cut loose and most times end up on the streets or worse.

It's not a lifetime payment, it's a backstop.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

This guaranteed income is for foster kids who are exiting foster care. It's not for everyone. These kids are cut loose and most times end up on the streets or worse.

OK, thanks
them kids need all the help in life

the video was a bit misleading, i dont want to come across as a person with a cold heart for children .
edit on 0700000028492021-07-19T03:49:28-05:00492807am3 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 04:43 AM
link   

You need more social safety nets not less.

This may give some of the little fellows a chance at something better in life.

Good luck to them.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

OK, thanks

the video was a bit misleading, i dont want to come across as a person with a cold heart for children .

The second tip off for me that there was something not completely honest about this video, was the monetary amount being thrown around. 35 million?

The first tip, was that it was on the internet, and came from mainstream news.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It sounds bad, and I do think that it's a bit crazy, but what it does is it gives some of the $35M to local municipalities who want to have a basic-income program, and then it is distributed by the cities, not the state.

It it supposed to prioritize foster children aging out of the system and single pregnant women, but I don't know what kind of oversight it will really have. I think that it was Long Beach that was talking about using the money to also make public transportation and other services free to qualifying people.

But here's where the problem comes in: as we all know, once a government program that gives a monetary safety net to people goes into effect, it's almost impossible that a politician will remove that safety net. Instead, it will probably grow and grow and grow into something that is a bastardization of its original intent, and will end up costing me and my family a lot in taxes. But this is what we get with a one-sided legislature and government in general.

California is in dire need of some political balance. Like I said, this has an understandable intent behind it, but we all know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Also, Newsom is facing recall, and he has been VERY loose with the state's claimed surplus of money over the past couple of months...I wonder if that recall has anything to do with his sudden influx of cash into Californian's pockets? New state stimulus checks just started going out, too...

ETA: Here's a good story with more details instead of just talking heads rambling about crap:

The Guardian

Local governments and organizations will apply for the money and run their programs. The state department of social services will decide who gets funding. California lawmakers left it up to local officials to determine the size of the monthly payments, which generally range from $500 to $1,000 in existing programs around the country.

The vote came on the same day millions of parents began receiving their first monthly payments under a temporary expansion of the federal child tax credit many view as a form of guaranteed income.

The state wants to target the money on programs that benefit pregnant people and young adults aged out of the foster care system to help them transition to life on their own...

edit on 19-7-2021 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

You need more social safety nets not less.

No, we don't. Please don't tell us how we need to use our tax dollars. What we NEED to do is rein in the wasted tax dollars and then reallocate them to worthy things and lower taxes once we lose all of the wasteful spending. You don't live here in Cali, so please don't tell us what we need here. Our cost of living is already sky high due to over-taxation.

This may give some of the little fellows a chance at something better in life.

Good luck to them.

While I agree that money to foster kids aging out of the system actually is a worthy expenditure (since that system generally screws them over), I don't think that 18-year-olds are considered "little fellows."
edit on 19-7-2021 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: musicismagic

OK, thanks

The second tip off for me that there was something not completely honest about this video, was the monetary amount being thrown around. 35 million?

The first tip, was that it was on the internet, and came from mainstream news.
The words ‘guaranteed basic income’ are going to create votes for both sides. Gruesome is facing recall sooner than the next election here, so its going to benefit him the most to throw free money around.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Im just offering up my opinion as i am perfectly free to do so.

So please dont tell me what to do.

As to worthy causes, well children and young adults are our future.

Maybe best not to begrudge kids exiting the care system a small slice of the monetary pie.

As to there age, i think its the perfect age to encourage them and give them incentive, if that can be done via monetary support, then so be it.
edit on 19-7-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Im just offering up my opinion as i am perfectly free to do so.

So please dont tell me what to do.

I was just offering up my opinion of what you should do when it comes to telling people how their money should be spent in a state in which you do not reside...

...as I am perfectly free to do so. So, PLEASE don't tell Californians what we "need," as it seems that you are woefully ignorant to the vast amount of "social safety nets" that Californians already are forced to pay for if you think that we need more of them.

We square?

Oh, and once more, these are not kids, they are 18-year-old adults. I get that it 'appeals to the feels' to keep saying "kids," but would you pretty please (with a cherry on top) stop perpetuating that falsehood?

See, I asked nicely this time.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Its the third step down a slippery slope.

Nothing to see here.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

We are always square. LoL

These 18-year-old ""adults"" are just out a care system that don't take any prisoners, they deserve more than a cherry imho.

As to 18 year olds being adults, well that may well be what the law says, but its not how i remember the age if im honest.

Personally i think this is exactly the sort of thing taxes should be spent on, again just my opinion all the same.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This actually sounds bad.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah, I didn't disagree on the money for those aging out of foster care, so I'm with you on that one (even though they do get a LOT of help already when they age out of the system...it's not like they just get left to their own with nothing).

I was already signed up for the military and heading off to boot camp at 18/19 years old and living in a different country. Maybe that age was a bit different for the two of us.

Regardless, I was just being a pissy turd yesterday...you'll have to excuse me. It happens.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Well your considered a Man here in Scotland at 16 SlapMonkey.

I don't seem to recall any 16 year old Men all the same anymore than i do 18 year old Men if I'm honest.

Most Men are still boys until there mid twenty's imho.

Or at least we sometimes refuse to put away our childish notions until about then.

End of the day a couple of things can change that, war being one of them, and children being the another if we don't run away.

Its sound anyway SlapMonkey, its far to hot to be bothered, it does happen indeed.
edit on 20-7-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

join