It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical marijuana no longer coming to Mississippi: What you need to know

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Although the majority of Mississippi residents voted for Initiative 65, the state Supreme Court heard arguments against the initiative in April after Madison Mayor Mary Hawkins Butler filed a lawsuit days before the election.
Butler challenged the state's initiative process, in attempt to block the development of the medical marijuana program, by arguing that Mississippi’s initiative process is outdated and that it should not have been on the ballot.

Med ical marijuana no longer coming to Mississippi: What you need to know

I’m just sad about this. This is something our state needed to go towards, imo. I suffer from manic depression/anxiety/ptsd and know it could help me better than a pharmaceutical.

I do believe I posted this in the right spot. Please help me if I didn’t. Thank you for your time.

-cat

Wanted to add that it sure seems this is a slippery slope in squashing what the people voted for

edit on 04/30/2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: Added

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat
Wow
That sounds like no more than a thumb in the eye of the people.

+7 more 
posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The amount of things cannabis helps me with that other people would run crying for pills for is pretty hefty.

It's a plant. A pretty damn cool one related only to hops and not much else. Cannabis and Hops are the only two plants in the cannabaceae family. Cannabis is a cool as # dioecious plant that contains a ton of essential oils, terpenes, and basically every thing aromatherapy claims to do. It contains a ton of alkaloids with proven medical benifits. It's contains a ton of omega acids and nutrients for the body, its seeds are one of the few plant sources of a complete protein. Its fibre is incredibly versatile and useful and is easy and quick to produce.

The benefits from it are endless, the downsides are very minimal. The way governments treat it is a crime.
edit on 14/5/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Look up who lobbies against medicinal Marijuana.

We could all debate if it's an end all be all for every ailment... But I think it can help some people with certain symptoms. It can help the appetite of people fighting other illness, it's known to reduce pain for some, and help with anxiety for others.

For the most part it can't be locked down by patents, anyone can grow some form, and it causes far less impact to the body as some of the pharmaceutical counter parts.

It's not good for some of the companies with the largest footprint in politics.

Now that's not the only hurdle in the way, we also have archaic societal fear of it. But big pharma has big money, and lots of friends, so my guess is they're one of the toughest barriers.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 11:26 PM
link   
That's how they blocked recreational cannabis is Florida too. They attacked the ballot initiative with an asinine excuse in the supreme court and had it blocked. Remember government knows better than you do!

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I guess that’s what makes me so sad. They let us vote for it but then said nah, y’all good.
edit on 04/30/2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: Added an ‘s
grammar is important

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Big Pharma do not want Cannabis out of their control, the day it was banned was the day they were making money from the nicely packaged Placebos that took its place. I would imagine in Florida if the elderly got wind of it they would take a major financial hit. A harmless herb that has never killed anyone gets banned! that alone is cause for a red flag. They are doing the same with nicotine, and actively ignoring the foods that are killing people, the legislators are a disgrace.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I dont think it is big pharma in this instance. It is more about "religious" self righteous bigots in the bible belt that think it is the devil's lettuce! They think they know better than you what you do, and do not need to imbibe! It is true of a lot of southern states.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MayRenee
I dont think it is big pharma in this instance. It is more about "religious" self righteous bigots in the bible belt that think it is the devil's lettuce! They think they know better than you what you do, and do not need to imbibe! It is true of a lot of southern states.

Absolutely incorrect.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:23 AM
link   
May Renee
I completely understand what you’re saying. I’ve lived in the Bible Belt my whole life. I just truly think this is more about where the money is going. In this initiative the state wasn’t going to make any money. All the money was going to go back to the medical marijuana and it’s studies.
edit on 04/30/2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: I think I fixed it

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Tis why there is a lot of ignorance in this subject matter. You’d be amazed.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: KonquestAbySS
a reply to: Gothmog

Tis why there is a lot of ignorance in this subject matter. You’d be amazed.

I am always .
That's why :

Denying ignorance .
Why ?
It's fun

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If you think weed helps with depression I have some bad news for you.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This lady has served TEN TERMS.

Get out Mary. You've done your time in politics.
You don't belong there anymore.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

What’s your bad news? Did it not work for you? I know everyone’s chemistry is different. Some people react well with pharmaceuticals but my chemistry did not.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazyBlueCat

What’s your bad news? Did it not work for you? I know everyone’s chemistry is different. Some people react well with pharmaceuticals but my chemistry did not.

I don't like pills, except ibuprofen.

I smoked a LOT of weed when I was younger. I drank a lot, too.

Without those two things in my life (gone, entirely), my life has skyrocketed upwards.

I find that weed causes laziness and depression.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It seems that Butler is correct. The law does not allow initiatives of any sort in Mississippi.

In a 6-3 decision, the court ruled that because the state constitution mandates that ballot initiative petitioners must collect signatures from voters in five Mississippi congressional districts, while the state has only had four districts following the 2000 census, no ballot initiatives since 2000 are legally valid.
www.msn.com...

We are a land of law, after all. The letter of the law, according to many. But it seems the laws needs to keep up with the times. Boneheads couldn't figure that out after 20 years?

After 50?

Change is hard. Change hurts. Let's go back to the way it used to be. That was great. Before rock n roll n blues n stuff.
edit on 5/15/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Yeah. Sure, it does in some people, just like.video games, movies, TV shows, fear of life. People that are lazy are gonna be lazy, blaming a substance you choose to use or not use for your laziness is an excuse.

I've met lazy stoners, i've met productive stoners.

I've met lazy non stoners, i've met productive non stoners.

Blaming something like weed for your lack of initiative is ridiculous. If weed makes you feel non productive,.don't smoke it, if you can be productive on it, go for it.

But in the end, it's not the substances fault you're unable to be productive while on it, it's you, your body and your chemistry. What works for some isn't good for others.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazyBlueCat

I don't like pills, except ibuprofen.

I smoked a LOT of weed when I was younger. I drank a lot, too.

Without those two things in my life (gone, entirely), my life has skyrocketed upwards.

I find that weed causes laziness and depression.

Ahh so anecdotal bad news it is, then.

You abused it and it caused you issues, so therefore everyone should think as you think.

Doesn't work that way.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

We are a land of law, after all. The letter of the law, according to many. But it seems the laws needs to keep up with the times. Boneheads couldn't figure that out after 20 years?

except with regard to immigration. those laws are more like suggestions.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join