It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for higher grocery bills for the rest of the year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

And the best is,he keeps poking at Putin! We had better
get the iodine tablets ready.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The question you must ask yourselves is WHY? There is no reason (other than a government decision) to charge more for fuel or food. Yes, they can use the reason of higher fuel costs for food, but there has not been a shortage of fuel, rarity, which is the usual reason.
It can only be a government decision that will intentionally lead to higher and higher prices and only a complete idiot would wish that on it's people.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

You Will Learn To Rely on the Government for:
Healthcare and "vaccines"
Food
Fuel
Protection
They are your overlords

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

About a century and a half ago in much of the world profiteering off of a crisis was enough to get you hanged.

in the U.S. price gouging is illegal during a natural disaster. guess what Covid 19 is considered to be a natural disaster under section 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code. it was declared so in March of 2020.

Consistent with the President’s national emergency declaration for the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on March 13, 2020, FEMA urges officials to, without delay, take appropriate actions that are necessary to protect public health and safety pursuant to public health guidance and conditions and capabilities in their jurisdictions. FEMA provides the following guidance on the types of emergency protective measures that may be eligible under FEMA’s Public Assistance Program in accordance with the COVID-19 Emergency Declaration in order to ensure that resource constraints do not inhibit efforts to respond to this unprecedented disaster.
Eligble Emergency Protective Measures

but i guess some people don't qualify for that, or the rules have changed.

ETA: i should have noted that code 165 is the IRS code, my tax preparer told me about this. Trump issued the order under the Stafford act, plus a couple of courts have declared it so.

here is his letter to DHS FEMA, Department of Health, Department Of Treasury

edit on 16-4-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: ketsuko
Yes, but it's what people voted for.

I'm pretty certain that nobody actually voted for crops to be damaged by extremely weather events and the rest of the stuff happened under Trump's presidency Biden hasn't been in office for long enough to have a substantive effect.

It won't be Biden economy till maybe 2023. Same as it was still Obama economy till two years in to Trump's administration.
Somewhat true. Bidens pipeline issue had an immediate effect on gas prices. But yes, Trump is to thank for the roaring economy .

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChrisM101
a reply to: ElGoobero

You Will Learn To Rely on the Government for:
Healthcare and "vaccines"
Food
Fuel
Protection
They are your overlords

I thought about it and changed my mind.
edit on 16-4-2021 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm in the food business. I sell to independent restaurants and grocery stores. It's bad right now, pretty bad. Wings are over $3 a lb, and no end in sight for months. Paper products go up every time we order new stock. As a distributor, we don't always receive what we order. We might order 1000 cases of an item, and receive only 700. Then we have to short our customers. It's not a fun time to be in the business.

My customers tell me their margins are dropping. I tell them they have to change their prices because these new prices aren't changing any time soon. Then they say they can't, they have to remain competitive. Well, someone has to raise their prices, or you all will fold.

Anyway, beware of some of your local favorite restaurants coming to an end. These are not easy times in the food biz.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have been checking grain and food futures and future outlooks for years to try to predict what I should buy so I can save money over the year. Since covid started, the reporting of this stuff is all messed up, I cannot find the information like I used to. Remember the covid coincides with worldwide food shortages because of droughts and grasshoppers too, and China has problems with pigs being sick....that is why they started pork factories here, their people need pork for a while so they bought and expanded smithfield.

I thought it may be because of the work from home policies screwing things up and closures of government offices from the pandemic. But maybe it is much deeper than that, maybe they are keeping something from us. Maybe they want us to focus on this virus so we cannot see something much worse evolving.

I used to check the dept of agriculture and USDA sites every month to see what is in the future, now those sites are behind and they do not contain the information anymore I used to predict things like organic flour price increases and shortages. Same with the beef, pork, and chicken outlook, which is also tied to grain availability. I hate being blinded by not having access to outlooks of food availability, I don't want to stock up on things that are going to go down in price. Coming up this next week meijers is going to have pork chops for ninety nine cents a pound, I will probably pick up about ten pounds and package them in vacuum packed packages for the freezer, we put three or four pork chops in a package and always rotate stock. I like to get chicken cheap too so knowing grain futures helps me to know if prices will be increasing over the next six months, it saves a lot if you can get things on sale cheap, especially stuff like whole chickens for seventy nine cents a pound. I like chicken way better than turkey, we still have two turkeys in the freezer, they were bought at thirty nine cents a pound.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Arnie123
Good.

Ah well, I voted Trump.

Yeah. Me too.
This s#!t is on the Dems.

You lot are off your rockers. The election was a fraud you don’t have a legit president and all you can do is blame everything on dem Dems.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I say, in addition to the higher grocery bills, shortages are coming. You won't be able to buy things you used to be able to buy. This is what I mean: Two days ago, this is Friday, April 16th, 2021, on Wednesday, April 14th, 2021, I went in to the local Aldi's because that is where I buy some of my staple foods. I was needing some shortening, you know "Crisco." I hunted and hunted for that stuff, but couldn't find it. Then I find the manager and ask him about it. He said "Shortening is a seasonal item and can only be bought around Christmas." Can you believe that!? Please reread what he said. Shortening has NEVER NEVER NEVER been a "seasonal" item! People use shortening all year long. I know this is true because, well, it's true. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of this kind of crap going on. America is doomed. I still find it hard to express my feelings about shortening being "seasonal."

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

We did our running around and grocery shopping today, Aldi was one of our stops. I didn't notice anything we normally buy not in stock. However, I noticed a huge sudden jump in the prices of some things. For some reason, one of my kids' favorite granola cereals in there spiked 75 cents (used to be $2.25, $3 now) and I know full well the milk spiked just as much (paid $2.29 in the same damn store 3 days ago, $2.99 today) and eggs went up almost 90 cents (a dozen I bough last week was $1.05, $1.89 this week)

These are the glaring early indicators I saw back in Florida after '08. #'s about to get expensive, folks.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

People voted for endless lockdowns and masking to stay safe, and that contributes to this.

If you vote for higher energy prices in any form, you voted for this.

If you vote for higher taxes in any form, you voted for this.

edit on 16-4-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Brand name Crisco may well be a seasonal item at Aldi. They are not known for carrying brand names around here.
I looked, Amazon is carrying it. I would imagine regular groceries have it as well.

In past years, have you always bought Crisco at Aldi's?

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hope you like eating pigeons.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

We did our running around and grocery shopping today, Aldi was one of our stops. I didn't notice anything we normally buy not in stock. However, I noticed a huge sudden jump in the prices of some things. For some reason, one of my kids' favorite granola cereals in there spiked 75 cents (used to be $2.25, $3 now) and I know full well the milk spiked just as much (paid $2.29 in the same damn store 3 days ago, $2.99 today) and eggs went up almost 90 cents (a dozen I bough last week was $1.05, $1.89 this week)

These are the glaring early indicators I saw back in Florida after '08. #'s about to get expensive, folks.

I noticed that as well. But then, around here, prices go up everytime I shop each month.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Brand name Crisco may well be a seasonal item at Aldi. They are not known for carrying brand names around here.
I looked, Amazon is carrying it. I would imagine regular groceries have it as well.

In past years, have you always bought Crisco at Aldi's?

I didn't mean Crisco, by brand name, I meant "Crisco" by common usage. I don't know if Aldis ever carried the Crisco brand of shortening, I always just bought their own brand. There was none of their own brand in the store, no shortening of any brand in the store. Shortening has NEVER been a seasonal item. Why, all of a sudden, has it become "seasonal?" There's something going on in the background behind these things. Something that I think will not be a good thing for us.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I’ve noticed over last few months, pricing of things in general creeping up.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   

That is very weird indeed!
Thanks for explaining.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Over here... I usually go to Grocery Outlet. Things are more expensive. I use to be able to get away spending almost half what I pay now. My spending habits have not changed over the past approximately one and a half years. I expect some inflation, but this is crazy. The Rite Aid has bare shelfs. The homeless population is out of control. Even my favorite place to eat has had to raise their menu prices. What use to be $8.50 is now $11.75 and that is over the past half year. This is for a chicken burrido. I am looking to get a second job to help offset the cost.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 02:08 AM
link   
To be childish, I hope a lot of liberals living week to week get hit hard on this...I can afford it, but I bet a lot of people can't handle an increase of 15% to their living costs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join