It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BE UNSHAKEABLE

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   

“Throw me to the wolves
and
I will return leading the pack,"

Stoicism

1. the endurance of pain or hardship without the display of feelings and without complaint.

2. an ancient Greek school of philosophy founded at Athens by Zeno of Citium. The school taught that virtue, the highest good, is based on knowledge; the wise live in harmony with the divine Reason (also identified with Fate and Providence) that governs nature, and are indifferent to the vicissitudes of fortune and to pleasure and pain.

"Things which are equal to the same thing
are also equal to one another"

"Reality is only a Rorschach
ink-blot, you know"

edit on 15-3-2021 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

“Throw me to the wolves
and
I'll return leading the leading the pack,"

My stocism fails to stop me being a grammar nazi
edit on 15-3-2021 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Fantastic (1st video)

thanks

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:54 AM
link   

“Throw me to the wolves
and
I'll return Wearing their Pelts"

A Survivor

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thanks, double cut and paste I suppose?
Fixed

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

“Throw me to the wolves
and
I'll return leading the leading the pack,"

My stocism fails to stop me being a grammar nazi

Please correct my horrible English grammar when I'm right I mean when I'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Nah - you're grammar's not too bad. We'll see how you're May predictions pan out - then we can have fun.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Haha....f*cked my own spelling

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: musicismagic

Nah - you're grammar's not too bad. We'll see how you're May predictions pan out - then we can have fun.

Well, I'll be cycling around Japan in April, May and June and then go to Okinawa and cycle there.

I'll be missing them shooting arrows pointing somewhere. By the way Prime Minister Suga will be meeting the pres in person I believe April 14th . Lets see if the news media is invited. I say no due security agreements being talked about between Japan the the States.
It's going to be hard to keep the Japanese journalist out of the meeting, that will show pres is anti Japanese

edit on 0300000030172021-03-15T05:17:30-05:00173003am5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

edit on 0300000021182021-03-15T05:18:21-05:00182103am5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

A stoic thrown to the wolves would just accept their fate according to your definition.

Being unshakable doesn’t mean you are righteous or right. Especially when you’re wrong. There is a time and a place to hold your ground and then there are times that it isn’t worth holding.

Might is right, but the pen is mightier than the sword, so knowledge is the strongest, but knowledge isn’t wisdom.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Dang SLAYER where have you been hiding out?

Excellent post.
This reminds me of the days when your posts had all the attention.
Lately, or at least the past few years, it has been TWO specific politically aligned posters.
I don't like it. Seems a bit too, fishy.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Great thread Slayer and welcome back.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69 I listened to Watts decades and decades ago. No much, not all the time but some. I found it easy to be swept up in his talks so I stopped. I thought it better to be me than him.

I particularly liked that one line of his from the video that goes. Billions of years ago you were a big bang but now you are a complicated human being. And then we cut ourselves off and and feel that we are no longer the big bang. But you are.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I appreciate the message in the vid, the only thing I disagree with is that nothing is good or bad inherently, it is our interpretations of things that make them that way. While I see the point and how it fits well with the overall philosophy, I really have my doubts.

I am wondering these days weather evil is a force unto itself, a thing that can possess people or even animals, like a latent, potent rage at all things and even itself. For instance something we consider bad may happen by pure accident, but when something bad is premeditated we can all appreciate the difference. And even more so than for no reason than the sheer hell of it.(excuse the pun).

Anyway if more people understood and adopted stoicism in their lives the world would be a much better place.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

I appreciate the message in the vid, the only thing I disagree with is that nothing is good or bad inherently, it is our interpretations of things that make them that way. While I see the point and how it fits well with the overall philosophy, I really have my doubts.

I am wondering these days weather evil is a force unto itself, a thing that can possess people or even animals, like a latent, potent rage at all things and even itself. For instance something we consider bad may happen by pure accident, but when something bad is premeditated we can all appreciate the difference. And even more so than for no reason than the sheer hell of it.(excuse the pun).

Anyway if more people understood and adopted stoicism in their lives the world would be a much better place.

Stoicism does not deny the objective reality of good and evil. It teaches indifference to them because they are "outside" and defined by others, whereas one's reactions should be only be determined by perception of what is good or evil within one's own being, not in the world at large. Whereas western (Abrahamic) religions speak of real, outside forces of good and evil, tracing their origin ultimately to beings called "God" and "Satan", stoicism is uninterested in such unprovable notions that humans cannot perceive directly. But stoicism does not stick its head in the ground and pretend that good and evil do not exist as active forces. It just tries to be indifferent to both of them because they belong only to the outside world. Stop pursuing happiness "outside" because it will never make you happy; stop reacting to negative, worldly events and then they will not overwhelm you. If terrible tragedies causing much suffering cannot disturb you because they are kept "outside" your being, why be concerned over whether they are deliberate or accidental? Eastern religions teach about the need for detachment from the world of maya, or illusion. This idea is confused in the West with indifference and criticised for showing lack of compassion for others. It is nothing of the kind. The stoic doe not ignore what is going on the world - good or bad. He merely does not allow himself to be affected by it all. Instead of pursuing needs created by others, stoics focus solely on those needs and goals they themselves created. For they know that only self-created aspirations achieve true fulfillment.
edit on 16-3-2021 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2021 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind

posted on Mar, 17 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   

A stoic thrown to the wolves would just accept their fate according to your definition.

His lot WAS to be thrown to the wolves. His Stoicism didn't allow him to sit still....

posted on Mar, 17 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Thank you mama
Love U

posted on Mar, 17 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Being unshakable doesn’t mean you are righteous or right. Especially when you’re wrong.

Show me where it has been written, any where in human history, that we are perfect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join