It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseverance Rover - Finding Ancient Life on Mars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r
And here goes a first stereoscopic 3D image of the landing site, intended for cross-eye viewing (click for larger version and see text below image for viewing instructions):

This is not a cross-eye stereo pair but freeview stereo pair. FYI

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wrong reply.
edit on 22-2-2021 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960
Imagine, sending something 100+ Million miles, and nailing the landing. I mean seriously.

I was happy to get my printer working this morning.

Fred..

I was saying this to a mate the other day. We high five the simplest of achievements compared to these boffins at NASA.

My brain hurts just thinking of the mathematical equations they must do on a daily basis for years...Lifetimes.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Post deleted, as it was intended for later...
2nd line

edit on 23-2-2021 by jeep3r because: Wrong posting order...

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And here go some more debayered Navcam images that might help getting a bit more familiar with the terrain features and geology at the landing site:

Click for larger versions...

Source

Source

Source

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Percy's first 360° panorama acquired by the navigation cameras:

Click for larger version...

Source

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Interesting symbols on the color wheel.

anyone read anything on these, per chance ?

mars.nasa.gov...

TWO WORLDS
ONE BEGINNING

?

edit on Tue Feb 23 2021 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jbird

The calibration target aboard Percy does leave room for interpretation and speculation. However, on the related NASA website it simply states that the target includes...

...a motto reading "Two Worlds, One Beginning," in reference to the idea of Earth and the Red Planet growing out of the same proto-stellar dust.

Source

Makes total sense IMO and the artwork is really neat. It's just that you have that "two worlds" motto and then mostly images showing what seems to be terrestrial evolution only. Or is it?

Click for larger version...

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

ahhh ...

calibration target

haha, yeah that works a little better than searching 'color wheel'
thanks for the assist.

so the 'one beginning' refers to the solar system.

interesting explanations on the symbols. chuckling at the 1950s spaceship.

more easter eggs

edit on Wed Feb 24 2021 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Holy Cow!
Have you seen the Mast cam Z has made its first panorama image?
You can zoom right in on far off objects,its amazing-

mars.nasa.gov...

The quality,detail and zoomability of that is incredible!
Ive already seen a cool pyramid shaped rock,and some isolated mini sand hills off near the horizon.

My mouse finger strain is going to hurt tonight.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Thanks a lot for sharing, that's indeed a great first panorama with lots to explore.

On another forum there has been some debate regarding a shiny feature in the distance, located in the left section of the panorama:

Until now, there were only blurry images available. But it seems it's a face of a rock reflecting the sun a bit more due to its angle. Previously, it was assumed it could be M2020 hardware debris or some such. But it turned out, this isn't the location where backshell, descent stage and parachute went down...

edit on 24-2-2021 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ah just noticed you already posted the 360 image

Yeah I saw a shiny looking flat rock surface maybe,and the black pointy wind etched rock.
And just a quick look near the horizon,I saw a pyramid shaped rock,and some cool little isolated sand hills.

Some of the nearer rocks have many holes-maybe long term wind effects or the pourous nature of the rocks?
Looks like there are at least 2 kinds of rocks just by color alone-the sandy ones and the dark ones.

Looks like a great zone to explore with that awesome camera not to mention all the other data they will collect from the drill etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 03:00 PM
link   

So what do you make of this round shiny thing? Heat shield that was jettisoned during entry?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

LOL, I was waiting for the image to download, you were faster. I think it's the heat shield myself.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

So what do you make of this round shiny thing? Heat shield that was jettisoned during entry?

I guess if they have ruled out bits of the landing gear-Some kind of shiny stone maybe if the suns hitting it just right?
Some kind of mineral deposit?
I don't know,but hopefully the nasa dudes have seen it and taken an interest-we may get a closer look some time.

It looks out of place and worth a closer look.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

I guess if they have ruled out bits of the landing gear-Some kind of shiny stone maybe if the suns hitting it just right?
Some kind of mineral deposit?
I don't know,but hopefully the nasa dudes have seen it and taken an interest-we may get a closer look some time.

It looks out of place and worth a closer look.

I'm not just looking at the shine, it appears to me to be a round dish shape, the shine is just on one of the sections of the dish. At least that is what I see.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Heh. And while everybody is looking over here Curiosity is scooping up old artifacts from the crumbled city.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I'm not just looking at the shine, it appears to me to be a round dish shape, the shine is just on one of the sections of the dish. At least that is what I see.

I see what you mean-It looks like it may be the rocket rig/sky crane maybe?
I think that landed pretty close so maybe thats it.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

I see what you mean-It looks like it may be the rocket rig/sky crane maybe?
I think that landed pretty close so maybe thats it.

It looks like both the sky crane and the heat shield possibly both right next to each other. But the round heat shield is the most identifiable to me.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It seems the little mystery rock is peeking some people's attention. Here's an animated GIF that provides some "depth" to the scene:

And a crosseye/parallel/free view version (click for larger version):

In fact, there may not be much of a mystery here since we're most probably seeing an assortment of different rocks with different properties that accummulated on top of a small ridge. A sharp Mastcam-Z image will clear everything up pretty soon, I guess...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join