It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Request for input: What should I paint next?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Haha how neat would that be, huh?

I actually wrote the essay about Ulysses prior to asking my question--it was for my Irish Literature Final.
It's still cool that you thought of it when you responded.

Edit: I wrote the essay on December 14th. Here's my introduction paragraph and thesis (in bold for ease of reading--I realize this looks like a chunk of text. Best of luck!) to the short 12 page essay. I almost involved a quote from Samuel Beckett later in the paper which is really odd! I have it written in my notebook in my outline and everything.

I got an A, but did not have the patience to read the whole book yet.

Instead, I read academic papers about the thematic elements and read the pertinent parts of the book for quote gathering. I have a BA in Psychology (magna cum laude), which informed me in my analysis of the literature. Enjoy!

12/14/20
Thematic Multiplicity (by OP)

“A multiplicity is, in the most basic sense a complex structure that does not reference a prior unity. Multiplicities are not parts of a [fragmented] greater whole… [nor can they] be considered manifold expressions of a single concept”. In this way, Gilles Deleuze famously opposed the one-or-many dyad with multiplicity. On the same side of the coin, Irish literature highlights the recurring theme of multiplicity, which embodies the struggle to create an identity separate from British influence—all while remaining irrevocably tied to it. Historically, since the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169-1175 A.D., Ireland and Great Britain have maintained a self-contradictory relationship, as oppression results in resistance. Pointedly, Great Britain strived to force Christianity into the forefront of Irish culture—and thus the people dissented. As such, the aftermath of British imperialism caused irreversible effects upon Irish literature. The blatant contrast between rural Ireland and English modernity is explored in Ulysses, the epic novel by James Joyce. Throughout history, post-colonial Ireland strives to maintain sovereignty via the usage of multiple perspectives in Irish literature. Joyce clearly expresses Irish literature as a multiplicity. Ulysses uses many different styles of writing and these change by the chapter. The novel is written as a stream of consciousness that seems to be intentionally confusing and cryptic. The author chooses to place a particular emphasis upon the internal mechanisms that drive characterization and individualism. Indeed, through the theme of parallax, Joyce emphasizes the importance of varied perspectives in understanding a character’s identity. Through altering the visual viewpoint of the reader by exploring a plethora of standpoints, Joyce forces a reader to synthesize the shifting narrational perspectives (Heusel 135). Ulysses is constructed as a modern parallel to Homer’s Odyssey, as the main events of the novel can be loosely related to Odysseus’ journey home following the Trojan War. The plot of Ulysses unfolds over a single day, set around Dublin in the early 1900’s: June 16th, 1904 (Joyce 4527). The story focuses on the thoughts and actions of three protagonists: Stephen Dedalus, an educator and writer; Leopold Bloom, a Jewish advertising salesman; and Molly, Bloom’s wife, an opera singer. The action of the novel is primarily based upon the mundane incidents that occur throughout the day as Bloom and Dedalus traverse the city during their daily routine and meet fellow citizens of Dublin and go to their respective appointments. In response to the Revivalists—who desired a national mythology in order to gain independence from British influence via the Celtic Revival Movement—James Joyce asserts that one’s understanding of characterization constantly requires revision as new perspectives are brought into consideration. It can be asserted that multiplicity is inherent to the expression of Irish literature, because it rebels against post-colonialism and the effects of British imperialism. Indeed, the theme of multiple perspectives dominates the course materials, since these materials have no single author and are instead selections of many viewpoints throughout history. The central theme of multiplicity in Ulysses, by James Joyce, illustrates a resistance to post-colonialism and brings to light the paradoxical relationship between Irish literature and British influence.

Thank you again for your comment--it's fun to connect with others over such fascinating things like art and culture

edit on 6-3-2021 by rukia because: attempting to format the paragraph, which I was unable to do in a visually-pleasing way, unfortunately lol

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Well congrats are due, well done on getting an A.

Ive often thought of Ulysses as a cunning ploy on the reader by Joyce. As in the fact that most people will tell you that it is the hardest book you will ever read. When really its only the aperitif to Finnegan's Wake.
I live quite near where he used to reside in Sandycove. Such a beautiful place with a wonderful view of the Dun Laoghaire coast. He could only be inspired..
Every June 16th we have "Bloom's Day" here in Dublin. People dress up as characters from Ulysses and wander the streets visiting places mentioned in the book. I havn't taken part yet, t'will be a while before i do.
Ive never read Ulysses and i know i never will, its not for me. I respect my brain too much.

As for this

The central theme of multiplicity in Ulysses, by James Joyce, illustrates a resistance to post-colonialism and brings to light the paradoxical relationship between Irish literature and British influence.

You make a very interesting point. I havn't much else i cay say about it not having read the book.

posted on Mar, 9 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Super monkeys fighting space robots in a marshmellow themed dystopia? Is that surreal enough or do we need to go further?

posted on Mar, 9 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I like it

posted on Mar, 9 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

When really its only the aperitif to Finnegan's Wake.
I live quite near where he used to reside in Sandycove. Such a beautiful place with a wonderful view of the Dun Laoghaire coast. He could only be inspired..
Every June 16th we have "Bloom's Day" here in Dublin. People dress up as characters from Ulysses and wander the streets visiting places mentioned in the book. I havn't taken part yet, t'will be a while before i do.
Ive never read Ulysses and i know i never will, its not for me. I respect my brain too much.

Oh my goodness! That is so wild and cool. It sounds like a really lovely place to live.

While I would argue that The Bible is the most-difficult book, you certainly make a wonderful point about the complexity of Ulysses. There is a reason why it continues to be regarded as a masterpiece. I do want to read it to an extent, since it's on my Kindle as it was a required book for the class, but I probably won't get to it any time soon. I'm currently between reading The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, The Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan, and The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

For a surreal book that you guys might enjoy (I certainly did): Piranesi by Susanna Clarke was great. I'd love to discuss that one with other people (besides my fiance of course
).
edit on 9-3-2021 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
you should paint a dog with an ak-47 shooting a flamingo on a unicycle.
i'd pay for that.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

That made me grin--that sounds funny! I don't sell my work, currently, but as always you guys can feel free to use them as backgrounds or personally. I don't mind that--art is for people to enjoy after all

But we shall see! I have yet to decide what I'm going to paint, but regardless of what I choose, I think I will include a bonus drawing from one of the suggestions I've been given in the thread. The more the merrier! Ideas are great things

Ideally, I'd like to at least sketch all of your ideas. I think that would be a really cool exercise. Thank you all again very much
edit on 16-3-2021 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Good, because i have another challenge for you!
How about a flock of flying noses taking fright from a herd of stampeding chaise longue, set against a savannah background?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join