It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds First Hydrogen Motorcycle Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The worlds first Hydrogen Motocycle was unveiled on March15, 2005 by Intelligent Energy, a British energy solutions company. The bike silently accelerates from 0 – 50 mph in 12.1s (80kph). It can run for 4 hours and be recharged in 5 minutes. The hydrogen power core is removable, and capable of powering other types of equipment like a motorboat, or generator.

weblog.physorg.com
A British company unveiled ENV (Emissions Neutral Vehicle), the world’s first purpose-built, fuel-cell motorbike - ahead of any of the world’s leading automotive companies. The ENV bike is the creation of Intelligent Energy, a British energy solutions company.

ENV is lightweight, streamlined and aerodynamic. In an urban or off-road environment, it can reach speeds of 50 mph. It is also virtually silent (with noise emissions equivalent to an everyday home computer) and its emissions are almost completely clean. On a full tank, the ENV bike could be used continually for up to four hours without any need for re-fuelling. The bike can also be used by riders of any skill level with simple controls, via a throttle directly linked to the applied power.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps given time this could be another huge step toward moving away from fossil fuels for energy. As fuel cells begin the mass production, hydrogen production and distribution centers are developed, it would lead to an impact on emissions reduction from Boston to Bangkok.

Even better Dr Bradbury said the prospect of producing mobile hydrogen energy from a variety of sources, including crops such as soya or sugar cane, could benefit remote communities or developing countries, where large electric grids were not economically viable.

Related News Links:
www.fuelcellt oday.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.google.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Hydrogen: Making the leap into Showrooms soon!
Alternative Energy Research Project

[edit on 20-3-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Take it from a biker, bikers won't ride it. It will fail miserably in this current incarnation. A bike that barely does 50, and only goes for about 4 hours? Nope, not for me. In four hours I'm almost 300 miles from home. Then what?

Almost totally silent? Nope, not for me. What keeps people from running me over is my obnixously loud pipes. People in cars and trucks barely see you coming, if you can't make them hear you over their cell phones and talk radio, they won't notice you.

It's bad enough the MOCO wants to do away with carberated engines, now someone wants me to ride on a bike that feels like a mountain bike? Nope, not for me.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Another link BTW
www.fuelcellmarkets.com...

That is not a motorcycle! Even those who ride metric cafe racers will agree. That's a scooter.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What matters is that its a sep in the right direction.

And personally, people who make loud obnoxious noises on bikes as far as Im concerned are good for little more than target practice or fertilizer, Id like loud annoying bikes to go the way f the dinosaur.

It may only do 50 now, but given a few years for development and distribution, they will perfect it and it will be comparable to smelly gas guzzling abominations.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think its a cool idea. It has a pretty fast recharge rate (5 mins) thats good. If you have ever ridden a motorcycle before 4 hours is a long time to ride without a break. Well, at least for me it is. My hog beat me up when I first started riding. Thats cool though 5 minutes is enough time for a drink and a smoke. What is really cool is companies are actually starting to make progress on alternative modes of transportation.

I'm not sure if it will fail miserably but it will never replace motorcycles.

I can see this bike thriving in asia.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon
I think its a cool idea. It has a pretty fast recharge rate (5 mins) thats good. If you have ever ridden a motorcycle before 4 hours is a long time to ride without a break. Well, at least for me it is. My hog beat me up when I first started riding. Thats cool though 5 minutes is enough time for a drink and a smoke. What is really cool is companies are actually starting to make progress on alternative modes of transportation.

I'm not sure if it will fail miserably but it will never replace motorcycles.

I can see this bike thriving in asia.

Indeed, I must agree...it is a very cool idea and would perhaps be quite beneficial for urban areas of the U.S, such as NYC or Los Angeles. It IS more of a scooter but I think it has some great potential applications if it priced reasonably.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Oh, I agree that in its current incarnation, it is not all that. And the cost is currently prohibitive. But it did set me thinking about its future versions.

If it goes to mass production, it wont take long for more tweaks and advancements to be made. It should within a couple of years of production be able to go much faster, as noted in the article.

In addition to a means of transportation, if the core unit becomes popular, manufacturers of other motorized equipment could follow the same standards for the fuel cell, and in theory, you could ride your bike home from work, take out the core, and use it to mow the lawn, run your boat, your generator, etc.

It especially looks helpful that you could use crops to produce the hydrogen, and not need as big of an electrical grid, or fossil fuel infrastructure in the future.

I look forward to its further incarnations.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
...you could ride your bike home from work, take out the core, and use it to mow the lawn, run your boat, your generator, etc.
I look forward to its further incarnations.

lol, that’s funny.
That’s a great idea.

It would be cool if you could just poor some water in the tank and it would separate the hydrogen for you. Then the left over o2 would come out the pipe and oxygenate.

Isn't hydrogen extremely flammable?

This link is from my hyrdrogen car thread. I included it just in case people wanted to know how it works.

www.humboldt.edu...

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
What matters is that its a step in the right direction.

And personally, people who make loud obnoxious noises on bikes as far as I'm concerned are good for little more than target practice or fertilizer. I'd like loud annoying bikes to go the way of the dinosaur.

It may only do 50 now, but given a few years for development and distribution, they will perfect it and it will be comparable to smelly gas guzzling abominations.

*blows a kiss*
Can't hear ya.
What? Bikes too loud!

I don't have a problem with the development of fuel cells. No, problem at all. My problem is with people who want to take my choice of a motorcycle from me. I know I went on a tangent, and I'm not sorry for that. What the EPA is doing to my freedom of choice as to what I can and can not ride is my problem.

Build an interchangeable fuel cell. Mow your lawn with it. Put it in your leaf blower. But don't take my gas sipping, carberated, loud rumbling, little piece of freedom.

BTW, I would never advocate using tree huggers for target practice, and making fertilzer out of them, that just ain't neighborly. Somebody needs to save the forrest so I can ride through it.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
But while I was looking into it more, I found this. I like it a lot more than the bike.

Anybody willing to buy me one for a test ride?

Hydrogen Shelby High-performance Vehicles

The Hydrogen Car Company has teamed with American icon, Carroll Shelby, to provide two revolutionary high-performance sports cars: the Hydrogen Shelby Cobra and Hydrogen Shelby Series 1. These automobiles embody a unique brand of style and performance. They are the only high-performance alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) on the market. The Hydrogen Shelby Cobra and Series 1 perform similarly to their gasoline-powered counterparts. Both operate on compressed hydrogen and have a four-gasoline-gallons-equivalent (GGE) tank, giving them 80-100 miles of range per fill. The Hydrogen Shelby Cobra is available for order immediately and the Series 1 will be made available in early 2005.

Hydrogen Shelby Specifications.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by makeitso]

top topics

join