It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The European Research Group Give BoJo's Brexit Deal Thumbs Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The ERG have examined the 1000+ pages that make up the Brexit trade deal and have today given the deal the thumbs up , an important step as the ERG are a group of prominent Tory Euro Skeptic MPs who's word carries some weight with Brixiteer Conservatives , it's also good news for those of us who have better things to do than try to read through over 1000 pages of legalese.

The European Research Group (ERG) said the agreement, struck with Brussels on Christmas Eve, "preserves the UK's sovereignty as a matter of law".

Their "star chamber" of legal experts - including former Brexit minister David Jones and veteran eurosceptic Sir Bill Cash - added the deal "fully respects the norms of international sovereign-to-sovereign treaties".

Although they said the agreement's "level playing field" clauses - on common rules and standards with the EU - "go further than in comparable trade agreements", they judged their impact "is likely to be limited if addressed by a robust government".

"In any event they do not prevent the UK from changing its laws as it sees fit at a risk of tariff counter-measures, and if those were unacceptable the agreement could be terminated on 12 months' notice," their analysis concluded.
news.sky.com...

For those like myself who thought the deal would likely be a sellout this is good news , we have a deal and our freedom and on Thursday night I will raise a glass to Mr Johnson and his team , they did the seemingly impossible and for that they have my thanks.

Brexiteers the wait is nealy over , savor the moment and raise a glass with me .... we only blew the bloody doors off !

edit on 29-12-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yes, but with the incoming global power grab by the NWO, this time next year we’ll be in Zone B and in tier 12.

I’m just glad it’s all over now and was beginning to think we would never get here.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Seems like the UK´s fishermans are not in the mood for a thumbs up:

"I am angry, disappointed and feel betrayed"

British fishermen accuse Boris Johnson of fraud: he promised them the rights to all fish. Now they would have to fear for their existence, they rage.
Zeit Online (german)

And many, many will follow these fishermans in the near future. Funny thing is, those are the people that voted for the Brexit. Now they see the consequences and it´s not so funny anymore, suddenly.

Who ever really thought that the island could be a winner in this deal?
Except some right and rich populists like BoJo?

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Under the terms agreed by the EU and the UK Government, 25% of EU boats’ fishing rights in UK waters will be transferred to the UK fishing fleet, over a transition period lasting up to June 30, 2026.

“In the meantime, during the period of transition agreed with the EU for both sides to adjust to the scale of the change, there will be a gradual increase in the amount of fish we are entitled to take.”

He continued: “We will use the time to invest in the UK fleet and our communities, to make sure they can take full advantage of the riches flowing back to us, and to build a sustainable industry and healthy stocks.

“I am delighted to say that details of a major funding package will be announced in the very near future.”
news.stv.tv...

Who ever really thought that the island could be a winner in this deal?

A deal needed to be reached for the benefit of both the EU and Britain , concessions needed to be made and as long as we are no longer subject to EU rule I'm comfortable with the compromise , in a couple of days "the Island" will be free of the Mainland and for me that makes us a winner.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I am afraid that not one of the average population, no matter which side, if "island" side or "mainland" side, will ever be a real winner when a few rich players play us like pawns on a chessboard. And it shouldn´t be an attack when i said "island", i only was looking at the population of both sides and the chances to win "the battle" by population numbers. I met a few brits in my life time and they all were nice people. The mom of one of my best friends when i grew up was from "the island"(xD).

The problem is always: corrupt.. sry, "lobby-ruled" politics and greedy and selfish politicians. And those lousy rich hidden money bags behind them, ruling and playing all of us. I am afraid that both, the corona-shutdown crisis and the brexit will hit the UK harder than mainland europe. But i am not feeling like a winner or good in this scenario, only because i am from the mainland. Average people are average people on both sides. People are and stay people. At least the most of us.

Have a "tea" on me xD

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You forget the choice wasn't made by politicians , we were given the choice by a politician who thought we would choose to stay but the British public decided it was in our interest to leave , the only politician who listened to the people and acted on our wishes has been BoJo , he may be a part of the Elite but he has delivered what we asked for.

The EU parliament is a den of "lobby-ruled" politics and self interest decision making , at least if our Parliament pisses us of we have it within our means to remove them from office , the EU we have little to no control of.

This isn't about the British people against the people of Europe it's about the British people against the EU parliament and its leadership who we have come to despise for its corruption and waste over the decades , be happy for us we still love you.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If The UK are not happy with the way the deal is going, we can give 12 months notice that we wish to terminate it.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It was always unrealistic to expect a deal that pleased everyone.

The EU was incredibly uncompromising and dictatorial in its negotiating tactics - as we have come to expect, part of the reason we chose to leave.
They chose to make fishing rights a major issue, compromise was eventually reached with the EU surprisingly making major concessions.

I understand British fishermen not liking the deal, just as I understand French fishermen not liking it too.
Its called compromise and both sides made them in order to get what appears to be a reasonable deal agreed by both sides.

The vast majority of people who voted for Brexit see this as a half decent deal.

I still haven't had the chance to put the deal under any sort of reasonable scrutiny but I have to say that despite my intense dislike of Boris Johnson and everything he represents he does seem to have delivered something that I can stomach.

The UK still has many shared shared values and interests with our continental neighbours and like the vast majority of Brexit supporters I hope we continue to work closely together and have a harmonious relationship.

I sincerely hope that you can see that we aren't anti-European, we are anti-EU - there is a massive difference.
We simply don't want political union with a bloated, corrupt, unrepresentative and unaccountable entity whose interests and dictates frequently are at odds with UK interests and well being.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The Brexit trade deal has today gone before Parliament and they have accepted it by a majority of 521 to 73 , I think we know who some of the 73 are but regardless of their protest vote we are now home free.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think we know who some of the 73 are.....

The thing is, I have no real problem with 'the 73'.

Take Diane Abbott - not literally, carpy has his heart set on her.

She has been a staunch Remainer and 78% of her Hackney constituency voted to stay in the EU.
As much as I disagree with her and her constituents I think she's quite right in voting against this deal in accordance with her personal convictions and the opinion of those who elected her.

And it has zero impact on things.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

The thing is, I have no real problem with 'the 73'.

I do , having lost the Referendum they would rather see Britain leave on no deal terms than accept a deal with a chance of us having a successful future and proving them wrong , they can't put their Country above their personal and political beliefs , Abbott in particular is a nasty piece of work who wouldn't vote for a Johnson brokered deal even if her life depended on it.

I know it makes no difference but to me it symbolises how petty they are.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

For years I've been railing against party politics and the lack of politicians of conviction.

Our MP's are elected to represent the wishes of their constituents.
It's something they consistently fail to do.

These aren't things that I can choose to support only when MP's stances align with my own personal beliefs and opinions.

Diane Abbott indeed does seem a particularly unpleasant sort of person and I passionately disagree with much of her politics and almost everything she represents.
But the fact remains that she has consistently opposed Brexit as do the vast majority of people who elected her.
She voted in line with her personal convictions and the wishes of her constituents.

new topics

top topics

join