It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatcha' all eatin' for Christmas???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Eh, even the simplest stuff is fit for a king if made well and with love.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: putnam6

Eh, even the simplest stuff is fit for a king if made well and with love.

LOL oh, it's good and definitely made correctly and with the right sentiment. It's just the 3 of us this year and shouldn't be stuffing my face anyway. It's those dessert add ons the Hello Dollies, Chocolate Chip Cookies,chocolate-covered coconut balls

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I slept on ordering or getting anything wild for the 25th so just doing a herb rack of lamb with a blackberry gastrique, duck fat potatoes. Then a salad. Maybe a couscous israel salad or something of that nature. Make it simple.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Oh man! Rack of Lamb!! Does it get any better??? I...I...I just don't know what to say!

I absolutely LOVE lamb! My wife likes loin chops (good taste I guess), but not much else about lamb or mutton. I'll eat lamb, wether lamb, or mutton. It's all in how it's prepared. Love roast leg of lamb, but the wife isn't a fan. She likes most everything else though so I can't really complain too bad. Lamb has a certain flavor which the wife thinks is "gamey", but I actually love that flavor. Of course, I'd take an elk steak over a beef steak any day! Same with deer. Even goat.

ETA - You sound like you're one heck of a cook. I love cooking too, but I'll bet I could learn some stuff from you! Please do share!!!!

Oh, and Merry Christmas, to you and yours, and everyone else here on ATS!!
edit on 12/24/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Used to get lamb all the time growing up in Wyoming (you know, the state where men are men...and sheep are scared!). Love the stuff. Used to go to the herders and get a whole carcass, dressed, skinned and wrapped. I'd toss it in a cooler in the back of the truck and cut it up at the house. Serious good eats!!

Plus, my roommate in college and I ate only wild game we'd hunted for our entire time there. Left a lot more money for beer...until we started brewing our own. Elk, Deer, Moose, Antelope, Duck, Pheasant, Duck, Goose, Fish...our freezers were always full. Even had a couple bear (albeit greasy), some Caribou, Buffalo (although the Buffalo was farm raised).

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Spaghettio casserole with hot dog slices

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Merry Christmas 🤙

Haha. Cooking is like one of the only things I’m good at. I haven’t made a leg of lamb in a minute. I’ve done tons of shanks and neck. I few years ago I told myself that whenever I make a dish deserving of a sauce at home I need to make a kickass sauce to go with it. A beautiful sauce is just a joy to eat.

And don’t knock yourself man. Dont think I haven’t noticed your penchant for scallops. Scallops are outstanding. A good scallop sear can’t be beat. 🎄 🎄🎄

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Breakfast: Pork tamales, fried or scrambled eggs, fried potatoes (papas), refried beans (frijoles), homemade tortillas, barbacoa with cilantro and onions, homemade boysenberry preserves.

Dinner: Homemade chili con carne with cornbread.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: StreetGlide

Dude, please. Yes. Tamales, homemade tortillas and barbacoa?

You win Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: StreetGlide

Breakfast: Pork tamales, fried or scrambled eggs, fried potatoes (papas), refried beans (frijoles), homemade tortillas, barbacoa with cilantro and onions, homemade boysenberry preserves.

Dinner: Homemade chili con carne with cornbread.

That sounds amazing!

No tamales here this Christmas, but I just went out to buy some eggs and potatoes to attempt some papas fritas just like Grandpa used to make. I could never get the texture quite like he did

edit on 24-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: StreetGlide

Oh, yes ... it's been so long since we've really done a good batch of tamales in this house. We had a solid recipe and it got lost.

But every so often, we'd just spend a day making tamales. I miss that.

posted on Dec, 24 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Jewish style brisket with roasted carrots, parsnips, onions, and leeks. Minted peas. Bread sauce. Yorkshire puddings. Mashed potatoes. Gravy.

Dessert is a cheese board.

hmmm...
We're doing a Texas-style brisket [in the oven] with broccoli and whole roastedJapanese sweet potatoes.
www.bonappetit.com...
Boxed chocolates for dessert.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Jewish style brisket with roasted carrots, parsnips, onions, and leeks. Minted peas. Bread sauce. Yorkshire puddings. Mashed potatoes. Gravy.

Dessert is a cheese board.

hmmm...
We're doing a Texas-style brisket [in the oven] with broccoli and whole roastedJapanese sweet potatoes.
www.bonappetit.com...
Boxed chocolates for dessert.

Yeah, I didn't see a response, so I had to look it up. Jewish Brisket - Looks like a long low simmered Brisket with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, red wine, mushrooms, crushed tomato, worcestershire and horseradish (or variants thereof...looks like a few variants). Then a potato starch gravy from the simmering liquid.

Looks pretty good. Might have to try that sometime. Brisket is by far one of the most difficult meats to cook properly. The trick is low and slow.

I honestly expected a lot of garlic, but there wasn't a whole lot.

ETA - Oh, and this was interesting...some people apparently slice it "before" they cook it. That's an interesting approach.
edit on 12/25/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Lamb is hands down my favourite Meat, I could literally drink Lamb fat it's so tasty!

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Traditionally we feast on Christmas Eve, Children unpack presents after dinner.

I made a duck because a goose would have been too much for two. Orange sauce, potato dumplings (fist sized) and Semmelknödel, too. Red cabbage with apple. Tiramisu was the dessert.

Today I just made soup from calve bones and vegetables with maultaschen. It's pork meat and spinach in a noodle dough, formed to pockets.

This evening I will setup the deer ragout for tomorrow. I will serve it with fettuccine, peas and baby carrots in butter-cream sauce.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Sounds great!!

Isn't Semmelknödel kind of like a spaetzle ball?

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Yeah, I do love some scallops...sea scallops though, not so much the bay scallop variety. I'm a pretty big fan of all shellfish (scallops, lobster, crab, etc.).

Scallops have such a nice flavor, and it's so unique. Plus they're really versatile. I actually prefer scallops over lobster!

King crab is my all time favorite, but good scallops are a close 2nd.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

My grandpa used to raise lamb, so a for a good few years in my childhood, there was always lamb in our freezer.

It's something I've always missed and keep a sharp eye out for as an adult.

My other grandparents had a massive garden including a huge strawberry patch, and we used to get some of everything out of there. My grandmother on that side made *the best* homemade dill pickles. I loved them so much that my Christmas present always used to be a flat of her canned dills.

edit on 25-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Working today. Wife is working tomorrow. So we will celebrate on Sunday. Couple prime ribeyes, half dozen lobster tails, mushrooms, and whatever else we decide to whip up. I may smoke some Texas Twinkies if i have bacon left.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm going to bake a small turkey roast,dressing,rice
with mixed vegetables,cranberry sauce and pie.I
almost forgot,my last bottle of eggnog with bourbon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join