It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 line threads.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Okay, this is likely a stupid newbie question, but...

I tend to try to not make just one liner posts, but occasionally, I can sum up what I need to say in just one sentence. Admittedly, I ramble quite a bit sometimes, so my one sentence can actually end up being 3 or 4 lines, but still is only just one question or comment. (And I can contruct a freaking good sentence without it being a rambling run on sentece for the most part, too)

Does my one extremely long sentence contstitute a "one liner" post? Sometimes I only have one sentence, but it asks a valid question or offers what, in my opinion, seems to be a valid reply.

Help! Please? I just wanted to clarify this for my random one sentence posts that tend to span 3 or 4 lines.
Thanks much! I appreciate any help or guidlines offered to help un-confuse me!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

This thread is about 1 line threads, the opening post. As to 1 line posts, as long as they contribute to the topic there's no problem imo.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The mods seem to show great restraint for such weird threads as "I am Sam...I am new"
That thread was a beautiful example of one liners. It was fun for a while.
We played with it.
We had fun. And we should have fun once in awhile.

But, when real info was finally required, and when our famous members who can sniff out Bullsh#t from 1000 yards, tired of the game, she was SMOKED out. Just like a weasel deserting the hole.
That is what keeps ATS the best site on the web. Members who can sniff out Bullsh#t from 1000 yards, which results in a lack of weasels on this site. Quality is what it's all about, and ATS can thank it's members (and responsive mods) for that.
This makes for a better, more accurate info source than the MSM by orders of magnitude.
One liners tend to be the refuge of the ill informed, and will eventually drag down the collective braintrust of this site, and by all means should be limited.
However, they are appropriate, and powerful when used sparingly.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
A "one-liner" does not necessarily correlate to one line. It refers to a post that provides nothing. It adds nothing, and in fact detracts from the discussion.

Thanks for the explanation Amrorymeltzer.

I had always interpretated in that way and I was hopping that the Mods were as well. There's also the opposite end of the spectrum when people's post go on forever with absolutely no substance in it. (I recently read a review of Alex Jones movie, Endtime, that was just that. Fortunately the thread was canned.)

If a question is asked in a previous post, say "who founded the Illuminati?" and someone posts "Adam Weishaupt.", then I would hope that he/she will not be penalized, since the poster did add to the thread. (and saying more would only clutter the thread)

remember...
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I noticed, incidentally and with no small amount of pride, that the ringleader of that moronathon occupied a place of honor on my ignore list for a few months.

I take it that since you made Mod, you're incapable of ignoring members right?

[edit on 16/11/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

[edit on 17/11/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Revisting this thread because I've noticed a few "one liner threads"

Please add more thought when composing threads and do not leave us with "hey, check out this video on ......." Give us a brief description, tell us how you feel or your opinion or maybe drop a question in there to further the discussion.... but please refrain from posting "one line" threads.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah, great idea, now everyone just adds "second line" to their posts just to bypass this rule, which is A LOT more annoying than reading simple one-liners. It's ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pikappa

That is actually forbidden. One-liners are ok, if they add to the discussion. "2nd line" adds nothing and is against the rules.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by pikappa

That is actually forbidden. One-liners are ok, if they add to the discussion. "2nd line" adds nothing and is against the rules.

Yeah, but since there's no way to report those useless and annoying posts, people keep making them, thinking that they're being so clever for cheating the system (and actually getting away with it!). Hence why I think this rule is perfectly useless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join