It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods And Robots Ancient Dreams Of Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 01:49 AM
link   
youtu.be...
Pls you gotta klik^^ here, it's an hr + but if you're a trooper you'll check it out at least on your downtime.
Ok so what we have here is a vid lecture by a classicist Adrianne Mayor, I just happen to chanced upon it, as it was in my side bar, or maybe my algorithm chose it for me because I like ancient stuff, but I ignored cuz it looked ancient alienie , finally I gave in after months of it on my side bar, and let me tell ya, I'm not disappointed.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

So, it's about gods and robots and stuff?

Did the robots kill all humans?
edit on 12/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

They always do.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Gods and Robots: Myths, Machines, and Ancient Dreams of Technology

Adrienne Mayor

The fascinating untold story of how the ancients imagined robots and other forms of artificial life—and even invented real automated machines

Sometimes they did, actually often.
This is going on my to read list

www.amazon.co.jp...=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_c_Mji0FbP39WP92

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If you had posted something like this, it might provoke more interest among those more literaryialy (or whatever the word is) oriented.

A groundbreaking account of the earliest expressions of the timeless impulse to create artificial life, Gods and Robots reveals how some of today’s most advanced innovations in robotics and AI were foreshadowed in ancient myth—and how science has always been driven by imagination. This is mythology for the age of AI.

press.princeton.edu...

Early science fiction. Now that, I can dig.

edit on 12/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   

It's a cookbook! Couldn't resist.

Not sure if I'm in the trouper (in the classic sense) category as yet.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I can't believe I agreed with you and gave you a star. It is thanks to you and not OP that I actually saved that video to watch later. So thanks for that.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Sounds like it may actually be worth watching, since Adrienne Mayor is a well known and respected historian who has written several good books and is most definitely not in the woo camp. Indeed, anyone expecting evidence of aliens or ancient advanced civilisations is likely to be very disappointed.

Her theories that stories of mythological monsters are based on dinosaur and ancient mammal fossils is for the most part quite compelling.

Details of her latest book (which the video relates to):

press.princeton.edu...

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I love ancient stuff too. Thank you for sharing.
Watched the whole video very thought provoking in comparing ancient tech inventions uses, & by who to todays current direction in new tech inventions, & by who. I too was not aware of Pandora being a carefully made being sent to open her jar (not a box) of misforturnes, just the regretful girl with too much curiosity. Her research makes you really think about the pros & cons of current tech & the challenge of using it in the best way and learning from the past. She would be great to sit down with, drink a coffee, and just share. Trooping on.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I bet shes a Battlestar Galactica fan.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the vid recommendation. Excellent.

The notion that forms of what we consider "high tech" existed in the past and reaches us as incomplete "myth" is not as far fetched as some think.

Some interesting remnants in the form of "megolithic" architecture and tidbits, such as the Antithikara Mechanism, attest to it's reality.

The main thing missing from the knowlege base is power sources, though such things being closely guarded secrets that were lost as they were only known in small, exclusive cults, is not far fetched, either... and there exists things like the "Baghdad Battery."

When looked at in this light, many, many "myths" take on very interesting aspects. Just because non-scholarly folks run with the idea and pollute it with "woo" doesn't detract from the fact it could be very true... and from the growing knowlege base I've been exposed to, likely is.

History seems more cyclical then linear.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I believe that these stories of advanced technology are absolutely true. But I dont believe that ancient Greeks invented them or anyone in our recorded history. I believe this was found ancient technology from a past advanced civilization that existed 30,000 to 50,000 years ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth
Just imagine a world in which such ideas and experiments, didn't stop, I think it possible that by the time we got to the Renaissance we could've achieved space flight, or at the very least intercontinental air flight, they were doing experiments with steam engines back then.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Couple more links I thought you might enjoy.

taiken.co...

gizmodo.com...

www.ancientpages.com...#:~:text=History%20of%20robots%20in%20ancient%20China%20can%20be,many% 20fascinating%20tales%20describing%20ancient%20mechanical%20engineering%20technology.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There was an Angel called "Metatron" a large shiney angel, supposedly whos hebrew, yet the name sounds like it came from Japanese childrens show. Angels in the Quran not having free will of their own an such.

Then there the Golem who did what written when it was filed into kt, an Pinocchio who wanted to be a real boy.

Then there Ourboros being the new symbol for A.I an loading wait times, and the Classical meaning of Daemons being used in computers as a mediator between user an a cpu much like Plato idea of them being messengers between gods an mortals.
edit on 10-12-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No we missed one.... guess who...

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

thanks for thread and link

i am amazed at the macabre fascination of engineer types of intelligent inventors focusing on the sinister side of human nature (for hundreds of years by Greek intellectuals, and Egypt in Alexandria being a showcase stage for the profane)

the ancients seem weird in a strange way....but perfectly natural in their highly advanced doomsday machines

i try to mesh the past with the Future and consider Revelations... where the False Prophet creates a living/ breathing/ speaking Image to the BEAST in the end times era

those mechanical creations back in 300 BCE or earlier... are elaborate forerunners of the AntiChrist IMAGE which has the power of speech and to condemn people to death

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
Perhaps it have more to do with their
sponsors , namely high royals who were psychopaths.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So this sounds like....to be a little blase....the Star Trek effect.

The idea that ancient cultures had notions of technologies beyond them doesn't surprise me one bit. The idea that some of their "ancient inventions" might be nothing more than artistic musings is certainly more believable than the "Baghdad Battery" --not discounting the possibility.

When I say the Star Trek effect----I say one wonder how many inventors are inspired by ancient works. Like Star Trek in a sense....things that seemed crazy int he 60's or 70's but here we are in the year 2000....using personal communication devices like toiletries.

That book does sound like a interesting read

new topics

top topics

join