It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid - What are the riskiest activities?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Is there any scientific consensus on which activities are riskiest when it comes to Covid transmission?

For example, do a lot of infections occur on the metro or other mass transit?

Is it more dangerous to be in the audience of a play than it is to eat in a restaurant?

Are you more likely to catch covid from friend visiting your home, or from a classmate in college?

How risky is shaking hands?

Are there at least some statistics to say that X percentage of covid can be linked to somebody doing Y?

Or are we still gathering the numbers and haven't figured any of this stuff out?

Serious answers only please, I'm not interested in our political opinions.
edit on 16-10-2020 by AaarghZombies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The most dangerous part of this has been the fear instilled in people. Not that the virus isn't real, but that it isn't as bad for most people as was thought at the beginning. The fear factor has caused people to commit suicide, families to break up, wife and child abuse to increase substantially, job losses, paranoia, etc.

Treat it the same as you would the flu - stay away from infected people and wash your hands often. It's a virus, it's super-contagious, just be aware and use common sense.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Fresh air + Sun prevents infections .

A Lesson From the Spanish Flu: Sunshine and Fresh Air are Our Best Friends Right Now

To me going out wearing face mask increases the risk of infection .

Panic/hysteria and fear will decrease health .

edit on 16-10-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo

Fress air + Sun prevents infections .

A Lesson From the Spanish Flu: Sunshine and Fresh Air are Our Best Friends Right Now

Stress.
But , yes , that causes more diseases , including cancer , than any other factor.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Well, not exactly an activity per se, but Vitamin D deficiency definitely seems to be a contributor... both in terms of our susceptibility to catch it, and also in terms of the severity of symptoms and development of complications.

This is from Harvard (August 2020):

There is some evidence to suggest that vitamin D might help protect against becoming infected with, and developing serious symptoms of, COVID-19. We know, for example, that people with low vitamin D levels may be more susceptible to upper respiratory tract infections. One meta-analysis found that people who took vitamin D supplements, particularly those who had low vitamin D levels, were less likely to develop acute respiratory tract infections than those who didn't.

Vitamin D may protect against COVID-19 in two ways. First, it may help boost our bodies' natural defense against viruses and bacteria. Second, it may help prevent an exaggerated inflammatory response, which has been shown to contribute to severe illness in some people with COVID-19.

Treat ments for COVID-19 What helps, what doesn't, and what's in the pipeline

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I noticed I think it was Thursday I saw a commercial that Thursday was the nation wide start up of 5G for some company. This morning I watched the morning news and Covid-19 cases rose dramatically. Is their a connection? I've heard that even astronauts when they came back from the moon, had viruses that reactivated due to the high radiation levels of space.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Except, that's not what I was asking, is it.

Please don't derail this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Perhaps it would be easier if you look at all the possible ways microbes could put you at risk.

We have lived with little turmoil in our lives, with things like MRSA, TB, HIV, Hepatitis, and the list goes on.

Pesky microbes are potentially deadly lifeforms that we have to live with, if they don't kill us. So a general avenue of caution should be a part of how we live.

Good hygeine and commonsense should be enough. Masks are a personal choice. I leave that up to the individual and their level of comfort.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

It was noted in another blog commentary section that of all the athletes who have tested positive, the only ones who seem to have died from it are the elderly ones who were likely not in great shape to begin with. Of the young and healthy ones who are active, the closest any have come to serious disease so far as anyone has reported are one pitcher in baseball who developed myocarditis badly enough to keep him out for a year.

So it would seem to that keeping yourself in good shape also helps you avoid serious illness from this.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Thank you for posting -- very interesting!

Records from the H1N1 “Spanish flu” pandemic of 1918-1919 suggest sunshine and fresh air were among the most helpful therapies in stopping the spread of the illness and reducing mortality rates of those who had it.

“Put simply, medics found that severely ill flu patients nursed outdoors recovered better than those treated indoors,” writes Dr. Richard Hobday, an infection control and public health researcher.

Open-air therapy remained popular until antibiotics replaced it in the 1950s.

In the 1960s, tests by Ministry of Defense scientists proved that fresh air is a natural disinfectant. “Something in it, which they called the Open Air Factor, is far more harmful to airborne viruses and bacteria than indoor air,” Hobday said.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So it would seem to that keeping yourself in good shape also helps you avoid serious illness from this.

That would make sense. I would think athletes would have stronger and healthier lungs in general, which might hinder the development of ARDS. As well as stronger cardio function. Athletes tend to eat better as well -- less junk food and other empty calories. A strong well nurtured body is best prepared to fight off viruses and infections of all kinds.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Aerosol generating procedures like putting in a ET tube that’s pretty much the highest risk possible which is obviously why we use so much ppe

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Well, I've been going to work everyday, doing normal shopping, heck even took a trip to Michigan and to Myrtle Beach. So far no COVID. I do wear a mask where it's required, and nowhere else. I don't personally know a single person who has admitted to having it. I'm not saying it's a hoax, I'm sure it's a real flu. If it weren't for the news and the shut down I would have no idea there was a pandemic going on.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yeeh...think about all the elderly people,who are spending most time inside house....what could go wrong . And not just elderly but all people too.

The lockdowns are insanity

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Id say getting paranoid, being a hypochondriac, and becoming obsessive-compulsive for starters.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, get outside and quit thinking so much
edit on 16-10-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Riskiest activities? Probably policing, prison guarding and EMTing.

Oh yeah, and meat packing, apparently.

edit on 16-10-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yeeh...think about all the elderly people,who are spending most time inside house....what could go wrong . And not just elderly but all people too.

It's scary. People have been panicked into doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. And it's absolutely shameful on the part of the fearmongers.

The lockdowns are insanity

At the very least...

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Probably a riot or a "peaceful" protest. But unfortunately the media wants you to believe that attending a Trump rally is the riskiest. That and riding in your car by yourself.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join