It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your State's 2020 Constitutional Amendments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   
With all this scandal on politicians taking up the limelight as well as a renewed terrorist attack on the world by cabalist media going on about the horrors of the typical cold we may forget that most states will have amendments on their ballots that may become law in their communities. So instead of a scattering of isolated posts and threads going on about individual states, I figured we can all discuss each of our state's amendmenet in one spot.

I will start with the six amendments on the Florida ballot. (select active and year 2020) I will link each one but the full texts link to .pdf files.

Reference:Article VII, Section 6; Article XII

Summary:   View Full Text (pdf)
Provides that the homestead property tax discount for certain veterans with permanent combat-related disabilities carries over to such veteran's surviving spouse who holds legal or beneficial title to, and who permanently resides on, the homestead property, until he or she remarries or sells or otherwise disposes of the property. The discount may be transferred to a new homestead property of the surviving spouse under certain conditions. The amendment takes effect January 1, 2021.

Personally for me this is an easy yes. Those who serve and sacrifice are IMO the real forces behind our nations success. A simple tax exemption extension to the spouses and widows/widowers of these patriots is the least we can do to assist them making ends meet. In any case, once they remarry or sell the property they will have the proper support to move on in their life and remain empowered to be independent.

Reference:Article VI, Section 5

Allows all registered voters to vote in primaries for state legislature, governor, and cabinet regardless of political party affiliation. All candidates for an office, including party nominated candidates, appear on the same primary ballot. Two highest vote getters advance to general election. If only two candidates qualify, no primary is held and winner is determined in general election. Candidate’s party affiliation may appear on ballot as provided by law. Effective January 1, 2024.

Another easy yes IMO. Why should anyone be seeking to LIMIT the choice of voters?? There are individuals in our local community that are signifigantly more appealing that may be independent or third party and the voter deserves the chance to make that choice in any election. I have a feeling this is a shared sentiment amongst many of us.

Reference:Amends Article VI, Section 2

This amendment provides that only United States Citizens who are at least eighteen years of age, a permanent resident of Florida, and registered to vote, as provided by law, shall be qualified to vote in a Florida election.
this one is a fairly simple language change is all which makes it more clear that only a US citizen can cast a vote. Sounds redundant but considering some reps are trying to allow foreign influences to dictate the direction of our country granting non citizens the right to vote I say it is a valid redundancy. Another yes from me, thats half of them already.

Reference:Article VII, Section 4; Article XII

Summary: View Full Text (pdf)
Proposing an amendment to the State Constitution, effective date January 1, 2021, to increase, from 2 years to 3 years, the period of time during which accrued Save-Our-Homes benefits may be transferred from a prior homestead to a new homestead.
it sounds to me like basically an extra year for lower taxes to those who are eligible. Sounds reasonabla to me, most of us enjoy lower taxes. Although I am sure someone will point out less revenue for budgets, but there are also plenty of unnecessary programs that can easily be cut if the difference ever makes any serious problems.

Reference:Article X, Section 24

Raises minimum wage to $10.00 per hour effective September 30th, 2021. Each September 30th thereafter, minimum wage shall increase by $1.00 per hour until the minimum wage reaches $15.00 per hour on September 30th, 2026. From that point forward, future minimum wage increases shall revert to being adjusted annually for inflation starting September 30th, 2027.
This one right here is a difficult one for me. on the one hand, by the time it goes all the way to 15 we will be a full quarter into the 21st century. inflation IS catching up with us. however, i have seen too many morons and slackers that just do not deserve what they earn at all and it would be quite an undue burden for certain small businesses who often simply have a single employee or two who really are doing nothing more than babysitting a store during slow hours. it may not seem fair to basically give a good chunk of daily income for a small timer to some slacker who instead of having ANY initiative whatsoever to get things done tries to find a corner to hide in so they can play or chat on their portable electronic device often even turning away much needed business just so they can get paid to play around. I see it everywhere and it disgusts me. perhaps it should have limited to 11 or 12 $ min wage first. i am still undecided on this amendment and continue to deliberate its consequences.

Reference:Article XI, Sections 5 and 7

Summary:  View Full Text (pdf)
Requires all proposed amendments or revisions to the state constitution to be approved by the voters in two elections, instead of one, in order to take effect. The proposal applies the current thresholds for passage to each of the two elections.
This one honestly is rediculous to me and seems designed to just make it more difficult for our desires as voters to enact change in our state communities. I do not agree with it, find it to be condensending even and is an easy NO from me.

Well that is my opinions and decisions for the six amendments on the 2020 election for the state of Florida ballot. Now I cannot wait to read some of you folks' opinions on your own state amendments, or even comments on our Florida ones. Peaceful dialogue is constructive dialogue.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

AWESOME thread idea! Thank you!

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Was please to see this!

Reference:Amends Article VI, Section 2

Summary: View Full Text (pdf)
This amendment provides that only United States Citizens who are at least eighteen years of age, a permanent resident of Florida, and registered to vote, as provided by law, shall be qualified to vote in a Florida election.

It should prevent NYC residents driving across state lines to vote in Florida.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy

That's already illegal and laws don't prevent anything.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Buvvy

That's already illegal and laws don't prevent anything.

With so many northerners having relocated down here to Florida this year, will they even be able to vote for their state reps?? Those absentee ballots have to be sent to their New York addresses right?? Are they going to miss out?? You have to reside in florida one full year before being considered a florida resident.

That is certainly a curious topic to go into.

But hey man what do you think about the 15$ min wage?? Even by 2026 seems a bit high for let's say a third shop budget. Maybe not the cell phone shops they get fairly good business.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Question 1 to Nevada constitution would give the legislature the power to amendment the constitution without the requisite review process in place now which is meant to slow constitutional changes like what they are proposing. This also abolishes the board of regents and gives university control over to the legislature. These are power grabs.

Question 2 isn't actually about same sex marriage. It's about limiting who can refuse on religious grounds to clergy. Everyone else gets their first amendment rights imposed on by a left wing agenda.

Question 3 robs the governor of a very important check on criminal justice in Nevada. That's the veto power against the board of pardons and the singular power of the pardon from the Governor him/herself.

Question 4 is how we get a supermajority uniparty like California.

Question 5 is how you get sky high utility bills. They already killed solar here. Why not make it impossible to live here too?

As you might have guessed, I voted no on all 5 constitutional amendments to the Nevada State Constitution.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Oregon

Raise taxes on tobacco and legalizing mushrooms.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
Wow and i thought forcing new amendments to pass in two consecutive elections was a corrupt power play. Wtf what organations put those on the ballot??
Could you clarify question one though???? I dont know if it was an auto correct that should have read universal control, or if there is an actual university seeking control over your states legislature.

a reply to: DBCowboy
So are these mutually exclusive?? Like is it lumped together so that in order for mushrooms to be legalized ( I assume the medicinal type) the taxes on tobacco would have to increase?? That is dirty trick and i am not even a tobacco smoker.

We got hit with a proposal double play like that in our last election in Florida. A proposal to ban indoor gaming was lumped with a ban on offshore drilling. The drilling of florida waters would have been quite the benefit to our economy and would have been a great source of well paying jobs. I was very excited at the time of the prospect of being in the energy production field. It is so annoying when such diametrically opposite topics get lumped into one.

Like wtf do shrooms have to do with tobacco taxes you know??

new topics

top topics

join