posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 01:35 AM
You said in your story; "My bane. My kryptonite", and I sympathize with you.
....ACK.... Poison Oak is my 'Achilles Heel'.
I once drank from a spring and it had the sweetest taste too. Came home from the camping trip only to wake up with my eyes sealed shut, I was unable
to open them as if they had been glued that way.
Once I was able to slowly spread my eyelids open I became aware that a whole lot more was going on. My face was like a over-filled balloon, I did not
look human. My skin was looking like some flesh-colored marshmellow. And yes... being who I am I quickly grabbed my videocamera (remember those?) and
shot footage of my Alien-looking face.
I remained that way for several days. After a return to the area several weeks later, we found that just above about 50 feet from where we were
drinking from the spring was literally a forest of Poison Oak growing in and around the spring.
On a roadtrip to Idaho to do some mineral exploration and we pulled over to spend the night near a nice little brook. Since it was already dark, we
simply gathered up what little dead wood and brush was nearby and made a fire. Woke up about 4am in the morning and was having trouble breathing.
Once the Sun came up, we scanned the area we had pulled over at and it was in fact another Poison Oak forest and everything we were burning the night
before was dead Poison Oak. So all the time that the wind kept blowing that smoke in my face, I'd inhale the urushiol (yur-oo-shee-aal) oil. I learn't
later that many folks have died from complications of breathing in Poison Oak smoke, really messes with the lungs.
Yeau... Me and Poison Oak don't get along. All I have to do is look at it from a distance and I catch it. And now some 20 years later I learn that
DAWN dishsoap will wash it off quite effectively. But I'll still steer clear the best I can fro it.
edit on 10/6/2020 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Thats right... I made a mistake.. Gee Whiz, apparently I'm human!