It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Build Circuit That Generates Clean, Limitless Power From Graphene

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
"Limitless" is a word that does not belong in the description of any closed system, otherwise it invokes the Perpetual Motion dogma, where the Laws of Thermodynamics forbid it.

Friction = Heat = Resistance = Loss.

The theory is cool, but it needs to be explained outside of the "something for nothing" context and shows where the entropy, which is in everything, comes into play.

There is a lot of left over energy from the big bang that can be calculated and measured, Zero-point energy.

-MM
edit on 4-10-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Your describing Brillouin paradox which you know as wel as i do relies on our system trying to obtain thermal equilibrium.

This is not what they are implying at all though i will say the circuit diagram is very similar.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Although I love hearing this news, I remember reading something similar about 10 or more years ago. It convinced me so much that I invested some money into some graphene enterprises. So far they have lost almost all of their value, but who knows? Maybe someday they will be worth something.

DONT do IT!
Free power! the THEM will make this go away.
like so much from the past.
they are parasite that feed on us.

Most investments are to Bleed You.
whatch most investments for years.
learn the paterns.

they use investments like fishermen.
with You on the hook.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

"By all measures, graphene shouldn't exist. The fact it does comes down to a neat loophole in physics that sees an impossible 2D sheet of atoms act like a solid 3D material."

This doesn't make sense. It is an extension of a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and they exist.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha

originally posted by: Fools
Although I love hearing this news, I remember reading something similar about 10 or more years ago. It convinced me so much that I invested some money into some graphene enterprises. So far they have lost almost all of their value, but who knows? Maybe someday they will be worth something.

DONT do IT!
Free power! the THEM will make this go away.
like so much from the past.
they are parasite that feed on us.

Most investments are to Bleed You.
whatch most investments for years.
learn the paterns.

they use investments like fishermen.
with You on the hook.

I hear you. Most of it is gambling in a sense. I tend to stick with things that pay out dividends. At least I will make some money of some amount.
My best gamble was on medical MJ type companies a while back. I cashed all of those out. Glad I did because about a month after I did so, they all went back down to nothing.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

“People may think that current flowing in a resistor causes it to heat up, but the Brownian current does not. In fact, if no current was flowing, the resistor would cool down,”

If the resistor is not heating up then no power is generated by the circuit.

“What we did was reroute the current in the circuit and transform it into something useful.”

Useful in what way?

My prediction is that as soon as they try to extract any energy out of their circuit it will break down.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Free energy systems do not require a battery (source of energy) to work. Notice, this system does have a battery.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

I won't pretend to understand everything in your OP, but I do know that when it comes to supercapacitors, hemp has it beat;

...Many may know of hemp's use as a building material or medicine, but seldom know it can be used as a supercapacitor. A capacitor is a device used to store electric charge on one or more pairs of conductors separated by an insulator.

...Naturally, graphene is undergoing extensive research regarding capacitors. It can hold an impressive amount of electrons and can discharge practically instantly, giving power as quickly as it is needed. But graphene batteries are absurdly expensive, and hemp-based capacitors are proving to be a viable alternative.

...“Our device’s electrochemical performance is on par with or better than graphene-based devices,” says David Mitlin, one of the key researchers of hemp-based capacitors. “The key advantage is our electrodes, they are made from bio-waste using a simple process, and therefore, are much cheaper than graphene.”

The hemp-based carbon nanosheets also allegedly outperform standard supercapacitors by nearly 200%.

InterestingEngineering

Again, I don't fully understand this stuff, but it sure is fascinating, S&F

I don't understand most of it either.

Thanks for posting that link, it is truly fascinating.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Free energy systems do not require a battery (source of energy) to work. Notice, this system does have a battery.

The top video has a battery in the circuit to increase power.

The second video does not have a battery and still produces power.

edit on 4-10-2020 by LookingAtMars because: change info to be clear

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

But I bet every one goes NO way Possible .
Look Up capillary action Its how Trees get water from the ground all the way Up to near 500 FEET for red woods and NO MOTION or power or pumps needed .

All It takes to prove this is 2 5 gallon Buckets - 10 Pices of 1/2 PVC pipes and SPUNGES to FILL the PIPS with .
Set up Right the water is DRAWEN from the LOWER BUCKET to the HIGHER bucket through capillary action FROM the SPUNGES stuck Inside the PIPES once In the UPPER Bucket the water can go BACK down through another pipe with a generator

I have to give you credit for that post, it's a very creative idea which I haven't seen before and I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't work off the top of my head. Surely there has to be some reason it wouldn't work though, that seems far too easy. Maybe there would be a problem getting the water to flow back down another pipe? I think once the sponge or pipe was fully saturated the capillary action would stop working, but once it dried again then it could pull up more water. I'd really like to see someone make a simulation or even a real prototype of this idea to see what happens, it wouldn't be super hard either.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I see a huge problem there is nothing that can extract the water from the sponge. And there is a certain point where gravity is going to overcome the capillary action of the sponge.A sponge is not the same as a tree To get any amount of useful water into the top bucket would require you to squeze the sponges.

Hes wrong on how trees work what happens is the tree forms xylem which is an elongated cell creating a chain . Once the cells are formed, they die. But the cell walls still remain intact, and serve as an excellent pipeline to transport water from the roots to the leaves. So in effect the tree makes a straw that runs from the roots to the leaves. Now the leaves create negative pressure through evaporation drawing the water upwards. Very simiar to you sucking on a straw it doesnt use capilary action

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Your describing Brillouin paradox which you know as wel as i do relies on our system trying to obtain thermal equilibrium.

This is not what they are implying at all though i will say the circuit diagram is very similar.
Right, there are some similarities, but as you say they are not the same, which is why I think the reasons cited for why the Brillouin paradox won't work don't apply to this.

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I see a huge problem there is nothing that can extract the water from the sponge. And there is a certain point where gravity is going to overcome the capillary action of the sponge.A sponge is not the same as a tree To get any amount of useful water into the top bucket would require you to squeze the sponges.
Yes, and squeezing the sponges could take more energy than you'd get running the squeezed out water through the generator.

Hes wrong on how trees work what happens is the tree forms xylem which is an elongated cell creating a chain . Once the cells are formed, they die. But the cell walls still remain intact, and serve as an excellent pipeline to transport water from the roots to the leaves. So in effect the tree makes a straw that runs from the roots to the leaves. Now the leaves create negative pressure through evaporation drawing the water upwards. Very simiar to you sucking on a straw it doesnt use capilary action
There probably are some wrong sources on the internet saying trees use capillary action, but you're right, it's negative pressure that sucks it up. But wait, a perfect vacuum is zero pressure, how can there be negative pressure below zero? In that way it's not quite like sucking a straw, because the best you could ordinarily do with a straw "that won't collapse" is zero pressure, (you can't do that with your mouth, you'd have to hook up a vacuum pump). If you hook up a vacuum pump, you should be able to suck water up a straw about 10 meters or so (10.3?), but this video demonstrates someone trying to do their best with their mouth and they are able to suck a water up about 7 meters:

World's Longest Straw

That's the first in sort of a trilogy of videos explaining how trees can get water so high. This is the second video, which sets up the puzzle, if a vacuum is the lowest pressure you can create on the end of a straw, and if that vacuum is unable to such the water up a straw any higher than 10.3m, then how do trees get water higher than 10.3 m?

How Can Trees Be Taller Than 10m?

This is the answer which is as dragonridr says which may be unintuitive, that a perfect vacuum is not the lowest pressure possible (like many people seem to think, even the scientist who made these videos tended to think that, until he figured out how trees work).

How Trees Bend the Laws of Physics

So trees are amazing, because they can create pressures even lower than the zero pressure of a perfect vacuum, they can create negative pressures, below that of a perfect vacuum, below zero! And that's how they can get water above 10.3m, so yeah, they don't rely on capillary action; if you find sources saying they do, those sources are wrong.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So in effect the tree makes a straw that runs from the roots to the leaves. Now the leaves create negative pressure through evaporation drawing the water upwards. Very simiar to you sucking on a straw it doesnt use capilary action

Yes it seems to be the evaporation which helps pull water up. And thank you Arbitrageur for those Veritasium videos, I remember seeing those a while ago but had forgotten about them. It seems to me the hardest part would be getting the water out of a sponge or any porous material, but I don't necessarily think it would be impossible to draw the water to a point where it could form drops which fall back down, especially if using evaporation the way trees do. After thinking about it some more it seems the design could essentially be simplified to a closed system where water is evaporated using sunlight, then funneled back down using gravity.

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work but it's essentially just a way to capture solar energy at that point and probably isn't very efficient. All of these methods would also be very slow and limited to the speed at which the water evaporates or rises in a sponge. But the idea is still kind of interesting to me, there might be something to it if done correctly, and it'd be cool to have like a little evaporation-powered motor that sat on your desk and slowly turned when placed in sunlight.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   
If limitless free energy exists it will be one of the world's best kept secrets.

Why?

Super colliders can make gold from lead, but they say that the amount of electricity needed costs more than the gold created. Source: www.scientificamerican.com...

I don't see why it couldn't be used to make other valuable metals as well, but I'm not a physicist...

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   

We already do have free energy ive been saying it for years, magnets that self propell that turn an alternator that power a battery.

Many people have built them, check it out on YouTube. Magnet generators.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   
We all know where this will end up though don't we??? as we have seen countless times before e.g Water Powered Engine(Hydrogen), the boy who created the table top sun.

Gone mysteriously quiet never to be mentioned again...

I await China's and the Californian company'sNuclear Waste Battery Battery technology both set to render fossil fuels as a bad memory.

Neuromorphic Chip

both set to be game changers over the next decade.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

"Limitless" is a word that does not belong in the description of any closed system, otherwise it invokes the Perpetual Motion dogma, where the Laws of Thermodynamics forbid it.

The theory is cool, but it needs to be explained outside of the "something for nothing" context and shows where the entropy, which is in everything, comes into play.

There is a lot of left over energy from the big bang that can be calculated and measured, Zero-point energy.

-MM

What does that have to do with what is being discussed here?
The discussion is about a closed system that supposedly can sustain itself without external influence.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

-MM

What does that have to do with what is being discussed here?
The discussion is about a closed system that supposedly can sustain itself without external influence.

I´m no researcher, but I believe that it´s pretty much proven by now that graphene nanotubes is a bridge between Quantum Electromagnetism and Condensed Matter Physics, where the tubes seem to convert relativistic particles from the vacuum (ie. Zero-Point Energy) to electrons, thus providing a charge seemingly from "nowhere."

Not sure if this is the paper I read about, but here we go:
Graphene: New bridge between condensed matter physics and quantum electrodynamics

-MM
edit on 5-10-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I´m no researcher, but I believe that it´s pretty much proven by now that graphene nanotubes is a bridge between Quantum Electromagnetism and Condensed Matter Physics, where the tubes seem to convert relativistic particles from the vacuum (ie. Zero-Point Energy) to electrons, thus providing a charge seemingly from "nowhere."
No, there is no valid theory for extracting "Zero-Point Energy", which is already at the lowest possible energy state. You can't go to an energy level below the lowest possible energy state. If you could, it wouldn't be the lowest possible energy state, but by definition that's what "Zero-point" is.

Q & A: zero-point energy?

No valid theory predicts any way to extract such energy, which would require leaving things in a state with less energy than the state with least energy, by definition of 'zero-point.'

Physicist Bernard Haisch has a video on youtube saying he doesn't believe any claims of zero-point energy extraction out of the hundreds on the internet. He has a patented idea which he says may not work either, and hasn't been experimentally proven, but he wants to try it.

I don't see anything in the abstract you cited about ZPE or extracting energy from ZPE, and in the article linked from the OP, I don't remember any mention of zero-point energy extraction.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for those Nickel-63 batteries.

Yeah, free energy. I did like the idea of it when I built my little crystal radio set in junior high. Everything's free until you actually want to use it, I guess.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join