It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State With Rolling Blackouts Mandates Electric Cars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Gavim Newsome ordered the phaseout of combustion engines.

Under Newsom’s order, the California Air Resources Board would implement the phaseout of new gas-powered cars and light trucks and also require medium and heavy-duty trucks to be zero-emission by 2045 where possible. California would be the first state in the nation to mandate 100% zero-emission vehicles, though 15 countries already have committed to phasing out gas-powered cars.

So here we have California, a state that has rolling blackouts, mandating that you have to figure out how to have a zero emissions vehicle, and right now, that's mostly going to be electric. Good luck with that while you have no power. Better hope that you don't need to flee a wildfire or something.

The governor acknowledged that not everyone would embrace the 100% zero-emissions mandate but emphasized that nothing in his order would prevent Californians from owning gas-powered cars or buying or selling them used.

You can still own a car with a gas engine. How many Californians will start jumping the state border to buy their vehicles? And if the market shows too many doing it, how long before the state government moves to enact some kind of punitive measure (taxes) on combustion engine vehicles to force them back into the electric market?

You can hate the source, but one gal noted that Newsom had around $200,000 worth of electric cars lined up behind him while he made his announcement. How many people can get in on that type of action as compared to our regular, far more affordable models? Sure she represents petroleum interests, but that doesn't make her statement any less true for that.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well it won't stop wild fires. It will be excessive expense to lower income earners, like immigrants. Will the state of CA step in and increase taxes to afford these new vehicles to low/no income earners?

California drivers DO produce a lot of smog though. As a highly populated state, they really contribute to the Co2 emissions and need to do something about it.

Mandating electric automobiles might work but he needs to move his timeline out about 20 more years. It just isn't feasible.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
U.S. Dept of Energy - In 2017, California used 360,000,000 barrels of gas. That would equate to approximately 15,000,000,000 gallons of gas (15 Billion).

California's gas tax is 47.3 cents per gallon. That would equate to about 7.5 Billion dollars annually in tax revenue for the state of California.

GO Newsom!!! Get rid of a source of tax revenue.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is Newsome governor for life? Sounds like he thinks he is.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

They should close there airports too...
Damn dirty airplanes.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Interesting thought ... is there a loophole in someone buying a bunch of cars new in a state like Arizona, for example, driving them back to a "used" lot in California, and selling them at slightly inflated prices that still undercut the electric market?

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: InterplanetaryHobo
U.S. Dept of Energy - In 2017, California used 360,000,000 barrels of gas. That would equate to approximately 15,000,000,000 gallons of gas (15 Billion).

California's gas tax is 47.3 cents per gallon. That would equate to about 7.5 Billion dollars annually in tax revenue for the state of California.

GO Newsom!!! Get rid of a source of tax revenue.

Didn’t he mention the fee’s that will be placed on electric cars to makeup for lost tax revenue?

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

They may just force everyone to buy mileage meters and tax miles drived.

... and they ARE having to pay the grossly expensive price on electricity to charge up when it's available. I'm sure there are taxes baked into that.

edit on 23-9-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: StoutBroux

Interesting thought ... is there a loophole in someone buying a bunch of cars new in a state like Arizona, for example, driving them back to a "used" lot in California, and selling them at slightly inflated prices that still undercut the electric market?

Legislation based on wrongheaded ideas ALWAYS has unintended consequences.
edit on 23-9-2020 by RKWWWW because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well I'm not really suprised at any weird crap out of the land of the loonies, don't those electric car's have great big toxic batteries that can harm the enviroment when they split apart in an accident? Also real nice when they have rolling blackouts for heavin's sake what next

edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: (no reason given)

edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

There might be in the future. But this is once again a typical cut nose off to spite face. Shoving unachievable goals down people's throats is never a good idea. The middle class will vacate CA and leave only the wealthy and the poor. Maybe give incentives instead of threats.

I like the idea, just not how it's being enforced. And I'm personally against fracking but uhhh, don't tell anyone :]

At this time, it seems a necessary evil but I don't like what it's doing to our planet and I agree, lessening dependency on oil is a good goal to have. But it needs to be replaced with logical affordable solutions and we're just not there yet.

I also think there are other avenues to take on a gentler slope which could incorporate lessening dependency on oil and electricity. I think? Hawaii enforces solar water heaters. CA should as well. I know there is a country that does.

edit on 23-9-2020 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

So is he opening up the treasury so Californians can buy 70k vehicle?

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Classic california. This reminds me of that time they still havent recovered from when they passed a law restricting the number of students in a classroom to 20, but had not enough schools to accommodate such a law, nor enough teachers to support it, or even the money to pay that many teachers in the first place.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Husband points out that if they don't allow you to buy new cars in California, then it may prevent them from setting fuel standards for the rest of us like they do now.

New cars have to meet California fuel standards by default, but if they they are no longer allowed to be sold there, then California should lose the power to control that aspect anymore.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I plan to drive my 2014 Subaru Outback until I die. No one better ‘mandate’ I have to buy a new car because of some BS government regulations.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ive never been one to care much about my daily driver. My wife traded my Dart (fiat with dodge badges) for a Subaru Ascent when I was out of town a few months back. Its actually not that bad. Saved me 120 per year on insurance. I watched the car stop her from backing over lawn bags on trash day a few weeks ago. Also when she calls while driving i can hear it chime when she doesnt signal during a lane change so i can give her a hard time when im not even there.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
California can’t produce the electricity it needs already as 32% is imported from other states currently. Recharging cars would probably make that 50%+ dependent on importing electric. And they don’t have enough water to sustain their needs either.

Sounds like they really need to show the US by secession...

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

More Newsom Climate Change Delusion.

Pretty sure he has this old earth day brainwasher playing on repeat at the house.

He got his fires, he gets to points to climate change, now he gets the empathy to help leverage this reckless use of executive powers.

...They were given over to a strong delusion...
edit on 23-9-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It’s really interesting all of the items brought up in this thread that seem to have just slipped Newsomes mind such as the amount of imported energy. Do they have a secret long term plan or are they just that impulsive and unable to think these things through?

Unless the price of electric vehicles drastically reduce there is no way they will be able to keep this up and I don’t think they will be able to tell people what to drive. If there is a mass exodus now it is going to get a lot worse

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

What? You never heard of a bicycle? Sheesh, it's to save our planet, come on man.

Liberal utopia

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join