It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush to Recommend Wolfowitz for World Bank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The Bush administration is set to recommend that Defense Deputy Secretary Paul Wolfowitz take over the presidency of the World Bank. Wolfowitz has been a controversial figure as Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's top deputy. If approved he will take over for outgoing World Bank President James Wolfensohn.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush will recommend that Defense Deputy Secretary Paul Wolfowitz take over as head of the World Bank, a senior administration official said Wednesday.

Wolfowitz has been Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's top deputy and a lightning rod for criticism over the U.S. invasion of Iraq and other defense policies.

The administration began notifying other countries that Wolfowitz was the U.S. candidate to replace World Bank President James Wolfensohn, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made. Wolfensohn is stepping down as head of the 184-nation development bank on June 1 at the end of his second five-year term.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting choice but from a political standpoint it makes sense. You move a figure out that has sparked controversy and give him a lateral promotion. I'm not sure how his neocon politics will play at the world bank or what real effect he will have. Its more interesting to see who is going to replace him. I cannot imagine anybody more hawkish. That nominee will be far more telling IMHO. And thank go Bono did not get it.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Great lets have a neocon purist heading the World Bank! Just what the World needs. Lets see first lets funnel billions into defence contrators and let the starving Africans eat cake.

Why would Bono have been a bad choice? Thank god he's Irish and not American so why cant he still be up for it? Also just because the Americans want doesnt meant the Americans get.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good Grief...another stepping stone in the P.N.A.C agenda! If confirmed, Wolfy will have the budgetary reigns to pull off all off his neo-con delusions! Wonder where the other neocons like Cambone and Feith will wind up? Yikes!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Lets see first lets funnel billions into defence contrators and let the starving Africans eat cake.

Mmm....funnel cake...
What's with all the "wolves" in the World Bank anyhow?

Seriously though, it seems the NWO is full steam ahead and of course, as expected, nobody cares...

*goes to stock up his basement...damn! I'm in FL, I haven't got one!!!*

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Great lets have a neocon purist heading the World Bank! Just what the World needs. Lets see first lets funnel billions into defence contrators and let the starving Africans eat cake.

Why would Bono have been a bad choice? Thank god he's Irish and not American so why cant he still be up for it? Also just because the Americans want doesnt meant the Americans get.

UUuhh maybe becuase Bono has absolutly no experience whatsoever manageing a major internatonal organisation?
Or the fact that bono's understandng of economics is less than that of a 2 year old newt?

I mean great idea lets put someone with no qualfications and a brain saturated with more drugs than a grateful dead concert in charge of the most powerful lending institution in the world.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The article didn't seem to mention how the president of the bank is selected.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This can't happen! A neo-con in charge of the world bank, big trouble, NWO and more power to America... the LAST thing the world needs right now. Where are the jihad warriors when you need them!?

I am also curious, Nygdan, as to how the world bank president is nominated. Do all countries put forward a candidate? Can anyone stand? Does the vote have to be unanamous by all participating countries or is it a majority?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'd like a further explanation as to why FredT thinks Bono would be a bad choice for heading the World Bank.

The fact that idealists are ridiculed to the point of laughing stock is societies biggest downfall. We've been brainwashed into thinking you HAVE to be corrupt and greedy to be a successful leader. Thats complete twoddle and I think a well respected, Nobel Peace Prize nominee whos an idealist would be a great choice.

The voting the public does on a daily basis as to who they like as celebrities is a much keaner system than any political voting could ever be. We like these people not just because they're good looking or can sing but because they're decent people.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The thing is that both candidates for the job are big American capitalists (the other being the ex-CEO of HP). And now Bush is pushing for his little pal from the Gestap... errr I mean Pentagon to sit into one of the main power spots of the new world order? See... Who said that Bush was fighting against the NWO... Bush is fighting FOR IT! In the PFNAC, everywhere the US is described as being the prominent actor that will enforce and defend the new global rule of anglo-american zionism on the rest of the world. Thsi is what the NWO is about... not about a bunch of romantics from the Third World to impose a global communist agenda.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I'd like a further explanation as to why FredT thinks Bono would be a bad choice for heading the World Bank.

How about the fact that he has absolutely no experience for the job?

Put financial analysts in the position, and people who have long successful careers in economics, not a pop star of all things. Hell, what the heck are wolfowitz's qualifications for the job?

echtelion
The thing is that both candidates for the job are big American capitalists

Apparently the World Bank is supposed to be headed by an american and the IMF is supposed to be headed by a britisher.

www.globalexchange.org...

Created at the Bretton Woods Conference in 1944, The World Bank Group is comprised of five agencies that make loans or guarantee credit to its 177 member countries[...]The Bank manages a loan portfolio totaling US$200 billion and last year loaned a record US$28.9 billion to over 80 countries.

decisions

Decisions at the World Bank and IMF are made by a vote of the Board of Executive Directors, which represents member countries. Unlike the United Nations, where each member nation has an equal vote, voting power at the World Bank and IMF is determined by the level of a nation's financial contribution. Therefore, the United States has roughly 17% of the vote, with the seven largest industrialized countries (G-7) holding a total of 45%

and

here
Who is the World Bank's President and how is he Elected
James D. Wolfensohn is the ninth president of the World Bank Group. He is chairman of the Bank’s Board of Executive Directors and president of five interrelated organizations. The President is selected by the Bank's Board of Executive Directors. The Articles of Agreement do not specify the nationality of the president, but by custom the United States executive director makes a nomination. By a long-standing, informal agreement, the president of the Bank is a United States national, while the managing director of the International Monetary Fund is a European. The initial term is five years while a second term could be five years or less.

executive directors
The Boards are composed of 24 Directors, who are appointed or elected by member countries or by groups of countries, and the President, who serves as its Chairman.

Election of Executive Directors
[E]ach of the five members having the largest number of shares appoints an Executive Director, and the remaining members elect the other Executive Directors.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Great!
More criminals in the highest places of power!
This war criminal, instead of being interrogated in Haag, is on his way to the World Bank?
Where is Justice?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nygdan, the head of the World Bank doesnt necessarily have to be an economist. The head tells those who work for them (economists) what the goal is and they tell them if its possible and if so how to do it.

That kind of argument is like trying to say Bush shouldnt be President because he doesnt have degrees in business, international relations, economics and politics. The people that surround you help you with the finer points and you lead them.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Jeez--This man and just a few others have started a war that is costing us over a billion a week and now because the juice has been squeezed aboutaf dry as a bagdad turd, let's put him somewhere he can funnel money towards a few more wars.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Then he's perfect for the World Bank. An organization that's had it's fingers in, and helped support, more wars than the Catholic Church.

Dirty organization of profit-mongers that for some reason liberals want to crow as being a good thing for the world. Maybe because there are so many rich liberals profiting from the status quo.

Originally posted by Souljah
Great!
More criminals in the highest places of power!
This war criminal, instead of being interrogated in Haag, is on his way to the World Bank?
Where is Justice?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hows that for 'pre-emptive' NWO here we go .. again!
Only 3.778 years to go.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I shake my fist at you FredT! You beat me to the story, and I had a much more..hmm..opiniated (yeah, that's the nice word) analysis.

I'm just kidding, you do a great job bringing news to ATS.

This follows on the heels of the Snow nomination, and that was tantamount to spitting in the UN's face. This to me, seems like a continuation of the "You're either with us, or against us" foreign policy.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Nygdan, the head of the World Bank doesnt necessarily have to be an economist.

Regardless, the head should have a lot of experience in economics, finance, and the like. Being the frontman for a band really isn't bringing anything to the table.

That kind of argument is like trying to say Bush shouldnt be President because he doesnt have degrees in business, international relations, economics and politics.
Indeed, those are good criticisms. I don't think that there is much good in saying that the executive can just have lots of good advisors. Perhaps for a leadership position like president of a country, (perhaps), but certainly not for president of a giant lending institution.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The two nominees so far getting some attention from ATS are Bono Vox and Paul Wolfowitz.

While I would back a different horse entirely for the ultimate appointee to this job, I know which one of those two above that I would expect to do better on the basis of leadership and influence skills and world vision, and it would not be the shrub's nominee.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

They guy is a front man of an albiet popular band. Also a social activist, what exactly makes him qualified to run the world bank. I doubt he is even in charge of the roadies on his tour let alone a major organization

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Wolfowitz is a deputy of Rumsfield. Can anyone in support of his nomination please explain to me his qualifications? Just being a Jew doesn't count.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join