It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cardinal Blasts 'Da Vinci Code' As 'Cheap Lies'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This article explains the Catholic Church's reaction to Dan Browns bestselling book, The Da Vinci Code. Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone comments are significant because he is considered the number two man in the most powerful department - the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith at the Vatican. He claims that this book is attempting to discredit the Catholic Church. He was surprised that so many people have been embracing this book in what he considers to "cheap lies" and nonsense. Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone said that even the Catholic book stores are selling the books and he would like them removed.

story.news.yahoo.com
ROME (Reuters) - A top Catholic cardinal has blasted "The Da Vinci Code" as a "gross and absurd" distortion of history and said Catholic bookstores should take the bestseller off their shelves because it is full of "cheap lies."

"(It) aims to discredit the Church and its history through gross and absurd manipulations," Bertone, the archbishop of the northern Italian city of Genoa and a close friend of Pope John Paul (news - web sites) told the paper in its Monday edition.

A central storyline of the book is that the Holy Grail is not the cup which Christ is said to have used at the Last Supper but really the bloodline descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Bertone calls this idea "a perversion."

A central storyline of the book is that the Holy Grail is not the cup which Christ is said to have used at the Last Supper but really the bloodline descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Bertone calls this idea "a perversion."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It’s clearly a fictional book so why worry about it. This must be very frustrating for the Catholic church. It seems like they are going above and beyond, doing all they can, to prove that this book is nothing more than “cheap lies and perversions.” I kind of figured that Vatican would come out with a statement like this but I never thought that they would take it this far.

Related News Links:
www.catholic.com
www.opusdei.org
www.danbrown.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Da Vinci Code
Da Vinci Code goes on trial without a defence
CNN The Two Marys

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Apparently, some people have failed to note that the book is fictional, because I have seen a number of people on the internet who speak of the book as "gospel." I'm sure the Cardinal knows that the work is marketed as fiction, but fears that this fact is eluding many and might lead them astray.

Aside from that observation, I couldn't give a hoot about the book or the flap.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
perhaps it's a kernal of truth in the fictional book that has put a bee in the cardinal's funny looking hat.
do you think he will order an inquisition?
there is no dispute that there was a historical illuminati. the origins and present existence is debateable.
they were men of reason, science, the occult(hidden). da vinci devised gears and gear ratios from looking at the 'flower of life' geometric pattern(this is shown in his own sketchbook). if anyone was illuminati, it was him. who did men of reason have to hide from through the ages? the vatican. so, really, the cardinal has no business, oh wait, they have the biggest business in the world, ....nevermind.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I had no idea that these types went to the movies or read books...atleast not fiction...lol
There is only one reason any religous man would get upset at a fiction based book....thruth, and the fear that someone may put it all together

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
On behalve of Dan, I would like to thank the cardinal for extra free press/royalties.

Some people actually might start believing there is a conspiricy now that an official thinks the book has enough weight to speak out against it...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The story is fictional with Opus Dei killing people and Robert Langdon running around Paris. The points raised about christianity are valid and based on fact, thats why the Catholics are worried. It exposes the fallacies of Catholicism.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
There is only one completely rational thing I can think of to say about this. Dan Brown is simply a GENIUS.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon

It’s clearly a fictional book so why worry about it. This must be very frustrating for the Catholic church. It seems like they are going above and beyond, doing all they can, to prove that this book is nothing more than “cheap lies and perversions.” I kind of figured that Vatican would come out with a statement like this but I never thought that they would take it this far.

Just to clarify, the Church did not make a statement about the book, the Cardinal was being interviewed and answered the question. There is a difference here. Secondly, this is being said long after the book has already been widely circulated and some time after publication.

Obviously people are taking the book, or parts of it as fact, or the Cardinal would not have any concerns over this, and having a piece of fiction like this in Catholic bookstores that basically puts doubts into the minds of the faithful is a legitimate gripe since it's just not appropriate.

I really don't see how anyone can just sit there and say it's a piece of fiction so why care because any discussion of this book does get debated as if it is fact and many do believe it is based on facts. In my opinion some of the posters are taking this way beyond what it is.

What blows my mind is that many of the same people who will attack the Church teachings (referring to those who accept them as sheeples and what not) so easily embrace things like the DaVinci Code as if it were the truth, when neither one or the other carries any more credence using the same criteria against both. In my opinion it is just as much sheeple behavior to accept what is basically anti-christianity propaganda without a thorough look at the other side of the debate, and most people who attack the Catholic Church have not read enough about the truths behind it to have a clue to pass judgement, they only take the examples they are shown of mistakes made over the ages (and/or personal experiences that turned them off) and try to use that as a reason to blow it off.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Well you have to wonder if fiction is closer to fact then we think.
Why would the Catholic church make such a big deal if there wasnt some truth in the matter ?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'd heard many of the facts brought up in the Da Vinci Code before I read the book.

Constantine did convert to christianity on his death bed. Sunday originally was the holy day of early christians. Mary Magdelan wasnt a prostitute in early texts. And on and on...

You'll just have to accept it as my own faith that Catholicism is a sham with no proof given on my part whatsoever

[edit on 16/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Well you have to wonder if fiction is closer to fact then we think.
Why would the Catholic church make such a big deal if there wasnt some truth in the matter ?

I agree...the church sure is going to extreme lengths for a book that is supposidly "fiction"...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
So he is refuting the claims by denouncing them as "all lies", is he?

Well thats just the kind of ipso facto argument i'd expect form a dogmatic !!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The Cardinal is ignorant.

If the Cardinal disagreed with Brown’s book he could have simply said that it was a fictional book and had no merit. Instead, he resorted to his book as a "gross and absurd” distortion of history and “cheap lies.” Then he went on to say that Brown’s idea that Jesus and Mary Magdalene did have a relationship was “perverted?” What is so perverted about that?

Dan Brown has written a great book and is very believable but that is no excuse for the Cardinal to attack him. If you know Brown’s work, you know he devotes a huge amount of time to research for his books. Maybe he did uncover something. It wouldn’t surprise me at all especially with the churches sharp criticism. I believe Dan Brown has rubbed a sore spot for the church and it’s just a matter of time before the true revelations show themselves.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I read this book and dont really understand what the big fuss is all about. It browns standard Mcliterature offerng, short on plot, one dimensonal characters, and a sensational subject.
Dan Brown is to good books what McDonalds is to good food.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I find this "witchunt" against Dan Browns bestseller a real comedy!
Why does cardinal blast this book as "cheap lies", since it is a work of fiction, and therefore really represents no danger to the church.
Or does it?
It's like historians trying to judge the Lord of the Rings; there were no trolls, no elfs and no dragons and no wizards!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ive read all Dan Browns books and they are all excellent.

People dont seem to understand whats meant when the Da Vinci Code is refered to as "fiction". It doesnt mean that every single word in the novel is made up, far from it. It relates to real, concrete facts about the Catholic Church which are not fictional at all.

What makes the book fiction is its fictional lead character, Robert Langdon, and the story that the book follows. For example if a fiction book tells of a man falling from a building then that doesnt make the notion of gravity fiction too.

The things that have the Catholic church up in arms are not passed off as fictional. Brown starts all his books off with an introduction that states that everything in his book are facts and all the situations and characters are fictional.

The Catholic church DID cover up Mary Magdelene's relationship with Jesus and used it to hold back women for centuries. The Gospels given by the Catholic church are cherry picked accounts with ommissions and re-writes. The Romans hand picked elements from Egyptian and Sun worshiping religons to convert people to Christianity easier. It goes on and on. They are facts and not fiction.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Ive read all Dan Browns books and they are all excellent.

People dont seem to understand whats meant when the Da Vinci Code is refered to as "fiction". It doesnt mean that every single word in the novel is made up, far from it. It relates to real, concrete facts about the Catholic Church which are not fictional at all.

What makes the book fiction is its fictional lead character, Robert Langdon, and the story that the book follows. For example if a fiction book tells of a man falling from a building then that doesnt make the notion of gravity fiction too.

The things that have the Catholic church up in arms are not passed off as fictional. Brown starts all his books off with an introduction that states that everything in his book are facts and all the situations and characters are fictional.

The Catholic church DID cover up Mary Magdelene's relationship with Jesus and used it to hold back women for centuries. The Gospels given by the Catholic church are cherry picked accounts with ommissions and re-writes. The Romans hand picked elements from Egyptian and Sun worshiping religons to convert people to Christianity easier. It goes on and on. They are facts and not fiction.

No he doesn't subz, in point of fact in his ntroduction he states that the entire work is a work of ficton and then goes on to list the two non fictonal parts, the fact that opus dei exists, and the fact that the document which list the past members of the priory of sion is in fact an actual document.
While the idea of the bloodline of mary and jesus being the real grail is not new neither has it been proven to be true, and in point of fact the document listing mast grandmasters of the priory of sion itself has been called into doubt by historians.

I am not surprised however that you think browns wrting is excellent.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by mwm1331]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The last supper ~ Does anyone really believe that the figure depicted on Jesus's right is that of a man?? Da Vinci quite often dipicted male characters in a feminine manner but I have struggled to find anything where he would mix very masculine characters (with beards) with his feminine style (unless they are mixed gender.)

The code is very intruiging and while there is a certain amount of fiction added, the truth is out there........Lets face it, if you were the head of a faith that faced being discredited after 2000 years of development I reckon you would be in denial......

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The only problem with Dan's DaVinci Code is that it was too short. He should have had Robert get Sophi pregnant and have a little baby Jesus, and he grow-up to get rid of the Catholic Church.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Since the Da Vinci Code is fiction, these religious leaders are obviously terrified when and if people start having minds of their own and thinking for themselves.

Cattle should not have creative original thoughts, like "Maybe these people are going to butcher me for meat and leather and hoof glue. Maybe if i can get myself infected with Mad cow disease that will serve them right."

I am personally in favor of people thinking even the unthinkable. Unless you examine all the possibilities you have not made a comprehensive effort to figure out the truth.

Delusions can sometimes be very comfortable. I admit liking them. But for one's long term interests knowing the truth is the better bet.

If for no other reason than pure mental exercise, you should think of alternative rationales for why things are the way they are. The mentally agile are the creative thinkers that will shape the future world.

Are you a mental gymnast or a couch potato?

To be honest I have not read the Da Vinci Code, nor do I even care about some dramatic history that happened over 2000 years ago. If I am going to focus on the tapestry history i would rather look at the full length out to the ravelling thead ends and not get all hung up on some 2000 year old knot that something or someone wants me to.

Focusing too much on 2000 years ago means you aren't trying to second guess the future and deal with the present optimally.

The future is a dicey game, come roll with me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join