It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mileage tax as a source of revenue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
www.washingtonpolicy.org... A6W4LSdCioaPqQt8_AE5_L7zvI3pLMNh7clzh_Nd1NvMhIVhK6L8

One of the revenue options included on the list (shown below) is a Road Usage Charge (RUC), also known as a mileage tax. The Governor’s senior policy advisor added a note to the RUC option, indicating “this has been proposed as a replacement for the gas tax. Could consider replacement + new revenue.”

Ok Ok in the real world we know this would just be an added cost... Buttt. in a perfect world, I think a mileage tax is actually pretty fair.
Those that use the roads the most would pay the most. Those that don't use it at all don't pay. Vehicles that do the most damage should also pay more. If you are a heavy truck, you should pay more than a Kia.

It's bad the our government is so screwed up that when there is a good idea we can't even progress because there is so much corruption and red tape and overall skepticism.
While we are at it, schools shouldn't be paid by property taxes either.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The version I heard is your vehicle has a gps to log the miles and turns it into the state every month for a bill per mile. What could go wrong.

They will know everywhere you went to the foot.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
The version I heard is your vehicle has a gps to log the miles and turns it into the state every month for a bill per mile. What could go wrong.

They will know everywhere you went to the foot.

Why wouldn't they just use odometer readings?

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We already have that.

It is called a damned Gasoline Tax.

They do not need to tax us a second time on it.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
We already have that.

And what revenues will a "gasoline tax" generate in an increasingly electric vehicle world?

edit on 14-8-2020 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

If that is the case, I would start driving the old 1989 pickup to work everyday.

This is ridiculous. More and More taxes.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Through a public disclosure request, Washington Policy Center obtained a document that lays out the Governor’s goals, principles, “must-haves,” supported revenue options and potential policy changes for what would be the Governor’s “Transportation Investment Package” in 2021. The document was developed by the Governor’s senior policy advisor in late April, and was reviewed by the Office of Financial Management (OFM) in early May of this year.

Some alternatives might be:

- "If you can't afford it, don't do it." Sort of like everyone else who can't raise money through extortion.

- If these "goals, principles, and must-haves" are so important to the state, just re-allocate existing tax revenue from less "important" things. If generating revenue was so important, why shut down so many taxpaying businesses.

- Explain in detail exactly what these "goals, principles, and must-haves" are to the taxpayers, and let them decide whether or not it's something they want to pay for. Anyone who feels these programs are worthwhile can donate towards them. Anyone who doesn't can opt out.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: infolurker
We already have that.

And what revenues will a "gasoline tax" generate in an increasingly electric vehicle world?

Some states charge a fee for electric vehicles.

www.consumerreports.org...

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Heavier vehicles already use more gas so they pay more per mile and a license plate for a truck is more expensive too.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Some states charge a fee for electric vehicles.

www.consumerreports.org...

And?

A whole lot of people are about to get a whole new appreciation for infrastructure costs, lol.

When everything is switched to electric, they are gonna need approx double the existing gas tax....to be in the same "not quite covering it" place they are now.

Triple if we want infrastructure that is properly maintained.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Not liking it, and my job is 1-1/2 mile away from where I live.

The whole state of RI would take a huge hit, as a lot of Rhode Islanders work in MA. What up RI?

You need tax dollars; go for where you know it will pay out! Marajuana shops! Most of the people that buy it are on disability (monthly check).

Also, cuts down on dealers adding fentanyl, carfentanyl , and evading taxes.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Actually a tax on electricity should make up the shortfall.
Double the tax on homes with electric vehicle's..

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

And?

A whole lot of people are about to get a whole new appreciation for infrastructure costs, lol.

When everything is switched to electric, they are gonna need approx double the existing gas tax....to be in the same "not quite covering it" place they are now.

Triple if we want infrastructure that is properly maintained.

People have no clue how much roads and repairs cost, especially in harsh climates.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Tax tax tax tax tax... how about cutting frivolous spending on programs that don't work, projects that are unneeded, etc.? If the money was managed correctly we wouldn't need half the taxes they collect now.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

If the money was managed correctly we wouldn't need half the taxes they collect now.

I agree with that, but I also think taxes are being burdened on the same people over and over. (middle class)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: HalWesten

If the money was managed correctly we wouldn't need half the taxes they collect now.

I agree with that, but I also think taxes are being burdened on the same people over and over. (middle class)

Of course they are, poor people don't pay taxes (of any consequence) and rich people have accountants to show them how to avoid them.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
How about we stop pretending taxes and funding are required to run a country?
It's turned back into fn slavery
The people printing the imaginary valued money don't require us to provide labor to give the money value.
Taxation is theft and blocks wealth and private property ownership.
I hate the stupid passive idiots in this country.
A lot of people are being financially raped at 50% their paycheck, while communists like Bezos pay jack and get subsidized by tax payers on top of it.
We need a tax overhaul/removal, or it's time to develop a new system of government.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

how about. . . . . government spend less.

Crazy thought, innit.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Infrastructure maintenance wouldn't be so expensive if every state and locality quit going with the lowest bidder & shoddy materials. We have one highway that since it was built has been under repairs every single year! (20plus yrs)

My second biggest NOPE! comes from I'll be damned if I should be taxed for using roads that I already paid for thru federal,state,county and township taxes just to get to work!!! Quadrupal taxing someone for the same thing is beyond the pale!! Actually it's more because of our insane gas tax rates, vehicle inspections,registration ect...

Every time this old chestnut gets hauled out as a viable option it's argued that those who use the roads should pay for them. So lets see? Anyone want to pay for all the vehicles needed for disaster relief to get to them? Do you really think the Red Cross or other agencies should pay? This argument usually is tossed up by people who live in cities and actually have public transportation, that THEY aren't actually paying for because it's to a degree subsidized by the Fed's, States and City.
Which is always never mentioned, but very true. When people who use public transportation are charged what it cost's to run that system pay the whole cost THEN we'll discuss a Milage Fee for the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
And when we finally get flying cars?

And can we file over driving fees against self-driving cars for failure to be more tax efficient in their routing algorithms?

And would a hovercraft houseboat be the perfect tax dodge, especially if tethered helium filled weather balloons were incorporated in your off-grid design?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join