It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Daniels dead at 83...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Charlie Daniels, Who Sang Of The Devil In Georgia, Is Dead At 83

I saw this earlier this after noon, and I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet.

In full disclosure, I never listened to Charlie or knew much about him. About the only song I am familiar with is "the one," "The Devil went down to Georgia," which I do like.

One of country's most familiar artists has died. Charlie Daniels — a singer, songwriter, bandleader and player of many instruments — died Monday in Nashville. His death was confirmed by his publicist, Don Murry Grubbs, who said that he died of a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83 years old.

Charlie Daniels was born Oct. 28, 1936 in Wilmington, North Carolina. He started out playing bluegrass locally with the Misty Mountain Boys before moving to Nashville in 1967. He was already becoming known as a songwriter as well; he co-wrote an Elvis Presley song, "It Hurts Me," in 1964.

By the late 1960s, he was already becoming an important link between country music and artists outside the country and Southern-rock spheres. He played guitar and bass guitar on Bob Dylan's 1969 project Nashville Skyline, and later worked with Leonard Cohen, George Harrison and others. He and his band also appeared in the 1980 film Urban Cowboy.

I didn't know that he was into veterans issues, and since I never followed him, I never knew his opinion on politics. The article goes into that quite a bit, and since this thread is a memoriam and not in a political forum, I want to keep about him and his music, and not politics.

Daniels was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2016.

He was closely aligned with veterans' causes; in 2014, he co-founded The Journey Home Project, a charity dedicated to supporting veterans.

Anyway, here again we have lost another stellar and very talented musician...

edit on 6-7-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Saw him in '75, Miami. Great guitarist and fiddler...sad day, Charlie.

*"Someone link video of Leave this Long Haired Country Boy Alone??? Thnx!

edit on 6-7-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

R.I.P. Charlie

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

He was super talented and full of heart and a true American patriot. R.I.P. Charlie.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

One of the best performers I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in concert. And a real good guy. My sister-in-law worked for him for a while, and had only the best to say about him.

RIP Charlie Daniels

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

He looks like he puts on a hell of a show. Glad you got to see him!

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

This song is still great! I think this was the first Charlie Daniels song I ever heard.
RIP, Charlie...

Uneasy Rider

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
R.I.P Charlie.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

That sucks...

I don't really like country, not the biggest fan of violins, but damn did I ever enjoy watching Charlie Daniels rock the hell out of the fiddle. Well, he's probably up there kicking Mozart and Paganini's asses in some one on ones right now.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
not the biggest fan of violins

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Yeah there are several types of music I don't actively listen to, but I can definitely appreciate it and the talent.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

He also said:

but damn did I ever enjoy watching Charlie Daniels rock the hell out of the fiddle.

Fiddle vs. Violin: Are Violins and Fiddles Different?

The answer is a surprising “no.” A violin and a fiddle are the same four-stringed instrument, generally played with a bow, strummed, or plucked. They are identical in their physical appearance. What distinguishes a violin from a fiddle is the style of music that is played on the instrument; it’s all in how you play it.

edit on 6-7-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I was going to quote when Daniels met Itzhak Pearlman and said, “My name is Charlie Daniels and I play fiddle...”. The reply was, “It is a violin. Same tuning. Same 4 strings. We are all fiddle players...”

There’s “something” about musicians we know by name that means we “connected”. Everyone probably has connected at one point or another with a “deal with the devil” story so add in some bad ass fiddling and you have a hit. Add the in the kind of force of nature of Charlie Daniels and you have legend!

RIP. Sad to hear this news. But we have some legendary music to overfill the hole in our hearts!!

(thems CD sunglasses!)

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

He also said:

but damn did I ever enjoy watching Charlie Daniels rock the hell out of the fiddle.

The answer is a surprising “no.” A violin and a fiddle are the same four-stringed instrument, generally played with a bow, strummed, or plucked. They are identical in their physical appearance. What distinguishes a violin from a fiddle is the style of music that is played on the instrument; it’s all in how you play it.

This. Glad that was picked up on. I chose that wording intentionally.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Charley was a hell of a man.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

He was into charities and was a supporter of one here in Wichita.
Founded in 1930, Starkey, Inc. is the oldest community-based nonprofit in Sedgwick County serving
people with disabilities. He did benefit concerts every year. he was a great person.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The violin sings, the fiddle dances.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

That sucks...

I don't really like country, not the biggest fan of violins, but damn did I ever enjoy watching Charlie Daniels rock the hell out of the fiddle. Well, he's probably up there kicking Mozart and Paganini's asses in some one on ones right now.

My classical trained friends would hate to see his bow after a concert.
But we can all appreciate his talents, and respect who he was as an individual and musician.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight
This is a great song. It is a cool story. I was going to post but you beat me to the punch. Thanks for sharing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join