It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta shooting - Precedence in Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Indeed, quite a different situation. So what's the point?

Wait, "was not affected by the officer's taser?"

edit on 6/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: CryHavoc

I'm sure there is case law on the books that supports slavery, too.

It doesn't make it right.

Sometimes you need to strike down bad decisions.

Not from 1985, there is not.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

It's going to be up to a jury if they believe the cop or not.

Most will say how can he be a threat running away. The officer will say, hey he was shooting a taser at me.

Any person who is crazy enough to steal a taser from a cop, the cop is going to say is a danger to the public.

Why would he steal a taser from the cop? The defense lawyer will say that it shows intent to harm.

The other side will say. But he was running away.

Not an easy case.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Worry about your own PM and mean-speech laws before you start trying to talk about how “we” need to fix things in a country you don’t even live in. Good neighbors worry about their own back yard

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Yeah , about 150 years ago.
Take that long for news to reach you ?

As far as the law goes , we like for police officers in the US to be able to actually protect us from the bad guys.
How bout you , where you are at ?

Was that police officer protecting you from the bad guys?

As far as I know, the guy in question was parked because he was too drunk to drive. Was he parking too threateningly for you?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The law says the LEs can't shoot a fleeing suspect who posed no threat. He fired a taser with NO CARTRIDGES. The cops had used up the cartridges before and knew it. I actually sided with the cops up until I knew more about what really happened. An unfortunate situation but it doesn't look good for that cop.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Not from 1985, there is not.

Never said there was.

However, there are so many more African-Americans incarcerated in your country, that it has been argued that institutionalized defacto slavery is very much alive in the USA, compliant with the exception in the 13th amendment where it clearly links involuntary servitude of a convict, to slavery.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

In 2018, Kanye West spoke to Trump about repealing the "trap door" exception in the 13th Amendment. Of course, nothing happened.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

I hope you're not just repeating rumors.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   

As far as the law goes , we like for police officers in the US to be able to actually protect us from the bad guys.

As far as I know, the guy in question was parked because he was too drunk to drive. Was he parking too threateningly for you?

He was parked.. IN THE DRIVE THROUGH LANE OF WENDY'S PASSED OUT DRUNK.

After failing sobriety tests they attempted to take him into custody. He resisted, then proceeded to take a taser from an officer then start running. As he was running he turned and fired the taser, then in response he was shot.

Is this an accurate summary?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

He was parked.. IN THE DRIVE THROUGH LANE OF WENDY'S PASSED OUT DRUNK.

After failing sobriety tests they attempted to take him into custody. He resisted, then proceeded to take a taser from an officer then start running. As he was running he turned and fired the taser, then in response he was shot.

Is this an accurate summary?

What about the bit where the police officer kicked him while he was on the ground and fatally wounded? Also, once the taser had been discharged, it couldn't take another shot, so the discharge of the officer's weapon after the taser shot was not excusable.

And, really, the crime was public drunkenness. Should it be allowed to escalate like that? I mean, he was drunk, you sort of expect him to do stupid stuff. The police, however, were quite sober.

It is clear that the policeman's shooting of the victim was the worst of the criminal offenses committed there.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The crime would be DUI

Police tasers are not single shot

Didn't know about the kicking him after part, is it a full out kick like kicking a field goal in US football? Or a kick to check for life signs?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
I'm sure I have read in one of the threads there are 3 shot units.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

From what I found with google-fu, the 2-shot tasers are standard for LEO.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

The crime would be DUI

Police tasers are not single shot

Didn't know about the kicking him after part, is it a full out kick like kicking a field goal in US football? Or a kick to check for life signs?

Full on leaning into it, extremely forceful, football type, over distant goalposts type kick. On camera.

The other policeman, also having other charges, is also apparently testifying against Officer Rolfe.

Fired Atlanta Officer Who Shot Rayshard Brooks Has Been Charged With Murder - ET

Former Atlanta officer kicked Rayshard Brooks after he shot him, DA says - CNN

edit on 18/6/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Is there a link to a video of him kicking him? All I've seen so far is the screenshot.

It's hard to take the word of a person who watches the video and says this....

"But Mr. Brooks never displayed any aggressive behavior during the 41 minutes and 17 seconds," Howard said after his team studied the video evidence.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

Is there a link to a video of him kicking him? All I've seen so far is the screenshot.

"But Mr. Brooks never displayed any aggressive behavior during the 41 minutes and 17 seconds," Howard said after his team studied the video evidence.

"He was interacting peacefully with the officers" until he wasn't lmao. The DA studied the ENHANCED VIDEO of brooks stealing a "deadly weapon" from the officer and came to the conclusion he was non-aggressive and peaceful. Then he lied about the GBI completing their investigation and the other officer acting as a state witness. This is going to be the biggest joke of a case in ATL

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The officers tried to taz the criminal when he was running, it failed to connect on the criminal. The criminal then returned fire with his taser, it also failed to hit its mark. Police protocol is to use one level of force higher than the criminal. For example, in a fist fight, they can use less than lethal force, in a situation where the criminal is using a weapon, less than lethal or lethal, the officers are trained to use lethal.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

originally posted by: Phage

The officer tried to taz the criminal when he was running, it failed to connect on the criminal. The criminal then returned fire with his taser, it also failed to hit its mark. Police protocol is to use one level of force higher than the criminal. For example, in a fist fight, they can use less than lethal force, in a situation where the criminal is using a weapon, less than lethal or lethal, the officers are trained to use lethal.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

I have only seen the screen shot also, but the positioning and center of body weight makes the amount of force applied obvious. The only other interpretation of the photo would possibly be that the officer is tripping over the victim he has just shot at three times (to be clear, only two of the shots hit target).

Also, the end of the video's I have seen, leaves it clear that the officer came to a stop well before this alleged kicking. So it doesn't make sense, in the sequence of things, for the officer to be tripping over the victim at speed, at this later stage.

edit on 18/6/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

He could be kicking him from that screen shot, but he could also just be stepping over him.

It illogical to assume he kicked him with the amount of viewers present and knowing they're under the microscope right now. Of course I imagine his adrenaline was pumping and he may have not been in a rational state, so I do leave the possibility.

As I said from this DA's other interpretation of events I'm gonna need to see the video.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join