It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo Suggests Online School Could Replace Classroom Instruction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Cuomo Suggests Online School Could Replace Classroom Instruction

link

New York teachers are responding after Gov. Andrew Cuomo suggested remote learning could replace classroom instruction after the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Tuesday during his daily COVID-19 briefing, Cuomo wondered if online learning could replace sitting in a school classroom after COVID-19.

“The old model of everybody goes and sits in a classroom and the teacher is in front of that classroom and teaches that class and you do that all across the city, all across the state, all these buildings, all these physical classrooms,” Cuomo said. “Why? With all the technology you have?”

"The last few months have been an incredibly stressful time full of change, but we have to learn and grow from this situation and make sure we build our systems back better than they were before," Cuomo said. "One of the areas we can really learn from is education. When we do reopen our schools let's reimagine them for the future, and to do that we are collaborating with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and exploring smart, innovative education alternatives using all the new technology we have at our disposal."

Now that New York has found itself in financial distress after decades of corruption and mismanagement Cuomo wants to balance the books by decreasing investment in our future, investment in our children.

As a parent who has lived through New York's idea of a remote learning program; I have to believe Cuomo is delusional ... that or he really is a part of NWO that wants to harm the American people, starting with our children.

The remote learning New York has tried to pass off as a substitute to real learning the last few months has been nothing short of a joke. Replacing 7 hours of real tutorial with nothing more than an hour or so of normal homework type work.

I don't think my children would have learned a dam thing if I wasn't free to help them through it. I've literally feelt bad for children with less able or less attentive patients these last few months.

And don't get me started on the "Technology" Cuomo and Gates think is so wonderful. It's clunky and maddening to use. I spend more time wrestling with this underdeveloped and some times completely unusable technology then I do teaching my children. And to be clear I am an Electoral Engineer; its not just me not understand how to use the technology. Even the most robust remote meeting programs don't hold up to a class of 20+ kids and a teacher all trying to talk at the same time.

I do realize that the traditional education system is waistful and has many problems of its own. But outsourcing our education system to Microsoft isn't the solution... and worse it would be a serious dereliction in duty by our Governor if he goes through with his plans.

Balance the budget by being less corrupt Mr Cuomo; not by stealing my children's education from them.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
With the general mentality of many politicians, it could work ☯️

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

My daughter spent the last three months of school doing online e-learning.
She learning just as much as she would have with some of the garbage classes they offer.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about online learning but I do feel it should always be an option. Many learn better under different stimuli and environments. I know personally, I would have done much better with online school at least after the 7th grade or so. The biggest problem with online school is it eliminates the need to go to a specific location, giving the student the opportunity to learn at home and many parents would lose their daycare which might interfere with a family's income and that wouldn't be good.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The idea behind it is sound, but you then end up with a nation of introverts - kids need social interaction, hell if these lockdowns and quarantines have thought us anything is that (most) humans need social interaction, and to air ideas with their peers even if its just sitting on cell phones in the same room together.

What I don't understand is why Complete "standard" curriculums are not available online for all Free of Charge so that every man, woman and Child who wants at least a basic education can learn at exactly the same standard at least up to senior level regardless of the school they are in or whether they are even homeschooled or not.

These lessons should be broadcast on individual TV stations round the clock the entire school year. yes I know you could do it on tablets, but lets face it - small screens do not have the same impact as a 40+ inch TV set.

And Yes I know there is existing educational TV, but not on a per-grade, per-channel basis available to all.

Use the best teachers, best explanations, best lessons e.g. A Bob Ross type teaching kids to paint.
edit on 1-6-2020 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I made a transition to self reliant education in high school, it was amazing.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I'm all for it in New Jersey, my town's school budget is $130,000,000 and our high school ranks right around 150 out of 330 or so municipalities. $130million for mediocrity.

The 'traditional method' obviously isn't working, instead of doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results, all while sucking the citizenry dry, try a new method.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheResidentAlien

Introversion or extroversion has little to do with whether or not you stay at home or go to school. I am an introvert and spent all my time in school and doing highly social activities. My personality never, ever changed. Every day was exhausting socially!

Our son is an extrovert by contrast, and these last couple of months have been exhausting for him because he wants to go out and see people.

Thankfully, his martial arts is part of a private business, so they're back up and running now. He has that at least.

On the subject of online school - This will only work for those who are either highly motivated to learn or extraordinarily self-disciplined or have parents who can mange to keep them going. A lot of kids are going to fall through the cracks - way more than would with the traditional school model, and you lose plenty there.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

As a parent who has lived through New York's idea of a remote learning program; I have to believe Cuomo is delusional ... that or he really is a part of NWO that wants to harm the American people, starting with our children

Exactly my thoughts, remote learning is an almost a failed model of learning, there's no interaction, so much needed between kids themselves and kids vs teachers. These poor kids! This model can be used temporarily as a poor surrogate one when we have a *real* calamity happening and not this blown beyond proportions pandemic. Why shutdown all the Upstate NY when the virus was prevalent in NYC area?!

And as far as Cuomo (De Blasio and Phil Murphy too), in my opinion they are part of NWO and playing their roles very diligently, especially Cuomo with his daily fear-mongering. I for one wouldn't believe they're just naive, they know very well the negative consequences of their intentionally evil decisions.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   

At least digital stuff is safe from florida trying to ban math books for "crt" (because apparantly there is now crt in math???)

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I agree. I went to college and was amazed at how much class-room time was wasted by professors talking about crazy things they did in the past. It costs resources to bus people to schools. Teaching over computers could greatly increase the efficiency of the school system.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 04:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join