It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Korean Protesters Cut Off Fingers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Two South Koreans outside the Japanese Embassy in Seoul, South Korea cut off fingers today as a sign of protest. The two were protesting Japan's territorial claim to a set of islets that South Korea currently controls. The islands called Dokdo and Takeshima and South Korea has indicated it is willing to risk its relationship with Japan over them.

www.foxnews.com
SEOUL, South Korea — Two South Korean demonstrators cut off their fingers outside the Japanese Embassy in Seoul on Monday to protest Tokyo's territorial claim to a set of islets controlled by South Korea.

The protest follows a proposal by Japanese provincial lawmakers to establish a commemoration day to bolster Tokyo's claim to the small islands, called Dokdo in Korea and Takeshima in Japan.

An ambulance quickly took away a middle-aged woman who sliced off her finger with a cutter. Another protester who also cut off his finger was removed by police.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I understand being committed to your cause, but cutting off thier fingers. How exactly is this supposed to help matters? Kind of like a Yakusa thing eh? At any rate, the real reason for the dispute are the rich fishing grounds that surrounds them. I think as the population expands and outpaced food supplies we will see more conflicts of this nature.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Fred that is just terrible! Didn't they do that long ago in other countries, cut a hand off if you stole, anyway, I think it is sick!..

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shai_lene
Fred that is just terrible! Didn't they do that long ago in other countries, cut a hand off if you stole, anyway, I think it is sick!..

Traditional Islamic law does call for the the cutting off the hand 9right one to be exact) for theft etc.

Im not sure why they would cut off a finger or if it is a symbolic/cultural jesture??? Anybody versed on Korean culture???

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I don't think maming yourself, setting yourself on fire, or crucifying yourself is a good way to demonstrate. Why inflict so much damage upon yourself?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
infinite?
yes they cut off fyour hand for stealing, if they did that today there would be lots of people with one hand.lol

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Koreans seem capable of some quite barbaric self harm.

There was a korean farmer recently who killed himself over farm prices as a public act....

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I think they misunderstood when they were asked to give them the middlefinger

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There was a korean farmer recently who killed himself over farm prices as a public act...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I understand being committed to your cause, but cutting off thier fingers. How exactly is this supposed to help matters?

It brings attention to their cause in the way no other act by only two people could have done.

I hadn't heard about this dispute until just now.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shai_lene
There was a korean farmer recently who killed himself over farm prices as a public act...

It's true and it's not what you think. This man was a respected leader in his community. He was a farmer like all of his old friends had been and fathers before them. However the WTO had come in and changed their whole way of life. Suddenly they watched their whole culture and relationships with their familes and children change because of WTO policies.

After unsuccessful attempts to address the problem in his own Country he finally made a 'final' statement to bring attention to the Farmers Plight in South Korea. I heard about it the day it happened, you didn't I guess. In that respect he wasn't very successful was he, and now he cannot continue the struggle.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Fingers can be re-attached within a certain timelimit.

A couple of hours or 30 minutes, i can't remember.

top topics

join