It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Small Businesses Earning More from Corona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Our state has opened up for business.

What is unusual is that more and more businesses are staying closed physically, but operating curbside.
There are a lot of costs for in person dining, and in person shopping.

I think some places are realizing how lucrative curbside food/products can be. They are basically charging more for less services.
One place I frequent only makes two selections per day now, that's it. They are constantly sold out.

How retail and restaurants come out of this will be interesting.
edit on 18-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Didn't Trump just reinstate the corporate deduction for business meals?
If so...that will be a big boost to restaurants.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

In my state the restaurants are allowed to open but at reduced capacity.
Some are waiting to open because they can't seat enough people yet to make it affordable.

The waitresses are the ones wanting to get back.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Certainly the businesses selling banners that say: "Open for Take Out and Delivery!"

I also expect bankruptcy lawyers to see a definite uptick in business shortly.

Psychologists. Marriage Counselors. Liquor stores.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

High-End Steakhouse Operator Ruth’s Hospitality Misses First-Quarter Expectations, Suspends Dividend

How much would you pay for Prime rib that is served in a plastic container?
Mine as well pick up a steak at Sizzler.

High end restaurants charge not just for their product but for their service and experience.

I Had a gift card at local fancy restaurant, I paid $37 for a New York Steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Made my way past the guy honking his horn In the parking lot to get his meal delivered. Walked inside and Saw an empty bar and three managers running around trying to sort all the orders. Waited an additional 20min for my one plate. Then drove home and ate it out of the plastic box.

Not sure how long these high end places will last.

Edit: They were busy because it was Mother’s Day. I took home that steak and split it with my wife. By the time I got home the mashed potatoes were cold, steak dry... Not worth $37

edit on 18-5-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Some Small Businesses Earning More from Corona

Not just small biz. Netflix subscriptions have gone thru the roof. We can't get enough union crew for all the shows now in production that the restrictions have been [mostly] lifted. Indies have basically ignored the lockdown....it's about the money.
edit on 18-5-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I’ve worked every working day since the Flu started, and so did one small business on the block. Three stores down from my construction site is a “high end” coffee and baked goods shop.

Now when I first got there mid February before Pandemic paranoia began, this place would have a few seated on the patio regular comes and goes.

I stopped in once no regular coffee only americanos so meh why not, grab a pastry. Both top notch, still prefer my cheap Timmys’

But since everything closed..... they did not, they used to be closed mondays just Monday to prep a day ahead for the week. Now closed Monday Tuesday. Sign says short staff. But since shut down I’ve seen more staff new hires people all over. And another thing

A line up that starts half an hour before they open, a line that stays my entire 8-10 hour work day. I’m trying to land loads on transports with the crane and I got an audience hanging out in the loading zone.

It’s bonkers they are one of maybe 5 businesses in a 4 block stretch that stayed open, put up signs, tape on the ground, social distancing. And due too there ability to see past the strict rules and use critical thinking. They have to be reaping the rewards of a store never busier, because a neighborhood has no where else to go!!!

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I gather people would rather order out at a mark up instead of grocery shopping and cooking.

Or does this reveal the dark truth about people in the US...

They never learned how to cook.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Or does this reveal the dark truth about people in the US...

Dark Truth??

You don't know much about Americans, we brag about not knowing how to cook. (not me, I can throw down)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Butterfinger

As an average American, we like to watch cooking shows and thats close enough

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

As an average American, we watch cooking shows and thats close enough. Its like a menu really

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

You don't know much about Americans, we brag about not knowing how to cook. (not me, I can throw down)

I can use a knife without cutting off a finger. And I know what to do with a bay leaf.
edit on 18-5-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

There are a lot of costs for in person dining...

For a restaurant initially set up as dine in or mostly dine in the costs are still nearly the same as they were prior to the shutdowns regardless if they are only now doing takeout as their fixed charges did not decrease; i.e. rent, insurance, licensing, utilities, waste disposal, etc.

Servers, cooks and other hospitality staff are scalable as demand increases or decreases, the costs I listed above or mostly the same whether you do takeout or dine in.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There's a steak house I like. Before this crap, it was too much for me to go in and stand in line for a table (bad leg). Now I order on line, drive up and a girl brings out my food and I'm gone. I told the girl the other day that when this is over I'm going to miss this. Her answer was "me too". It turns out that she's was one of the "junior waitresses". When this started the others turned down the job of bringing food to cars. She said that she's making over twice what she was in tips and there's a lot less work. No tables to bus, helping wash dishes etc. etc. Me, I get good food, their prices were always good and I don't have to get out of the car.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
There's a steak house I like. Before this crap, it was too much for me to go in and stand in line for a table (bad leg). Now I order on line, drive up and a girl brings out my food and I'm gone. I told the girl the other day that when this is over I'm going to miss this. Her answer was "me too". It turns out that she's was one of the "junior waitresses". When this started the others turned down the job of bringing food to cars. She said that she's making over twice what she was in tips and there's a lot less work. No tables to bus, helping wash dishes etc. etc. Me, I get good food, their prices were always good and I don't have to get out of the car.

There you have it. The "new normal."

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The Chinese Coronovirus has fundamentally changed how America operates, for some, worse, for others, much better.

That's the beauty of our system, someone else is always ready to move in and make a profit.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
There you have it. The "new normal."

Consider yourself bitch-slapped.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I am pretty sure the small coffee shop I like is doing somewhat better. Most of the Starbucks in this neck of the woods are closed, so where else are people doing to go for their fancy coffee drink fix?

At least, husband reports that the lines have been getting steadily longer at the drive-thru.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Observationalist

High-End Steakhouse Operator Ruth’s Hospitality Misses First-Quarter Expectations, Suspends Dividend

How much would you pay for Prime rib that is served in a plastic container?
Mine as well pick up a steak at Sizzler.

High end restaurants charge not just for their product but for their service and experience.

I Had a gift card at local fancy restaurant, I paid $37 for a New York Steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Made my way past the guy honking his horn In the parking lot to get his meal delivered. Walked inside and Saw an empty bar and three managers running around trying to sort all the orders. Waited an additional 20min for my one plate. Then drove home and ate it out of the plastic box.

Not sure how long these high end places will last.

Edit: They were busy because it was Mother’s Day. I took home that steak and split it with my wife. By the time I got home the mashed potatoes were cold, steak dry... Not worth $37

So sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with you that charging a lot for good food that comes in a container isn’t the same as the dining experience.

I’m kinda ashamed to say that a couple of weeks ago (not Mother’s Day though), I ordered a steak, mashed potatoes and asparagus from a high end local restaurant. I actually had this delivered, so after delivery fee and tip, my meal wound up costing over $50. It came in a styrofoam container. I immediately transferred the food to my good china and ate with my good silverware that I got from my Grandmother. It was absolutely delicious and definitely worth the $53 I paid for it. I was treating myself. I live alone, since my husband had a stroke and is permanently in a nursing home.

Yeah, I hate the containers delivery comes in, so I always break out my good china. Even for pizza and stuff.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Some restaurants here are requiring 48 hr pre orders. There is zero food waste with this method. That is a savings right there.
They don’t have to pay for dish washers, or bussers, or as many servers. No need for lots of toiletries in the bathrooms. They can turn the electricity off in the dining rooms and run the kitchens more efficiently. Those are all costs they don’t have now. They may seem small but I bet they add up over time. I wonder if some stick with this style of to go family catering.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join